• Reply 81 of 205
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    hmmm, no mention of updated quicktime.
  • Reply 82 of 205
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

Why would it be? QuickTime X gets an update with Lion.
  • Reply 83 of 205
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

FCP X is not Quicktime based.
  • Reply 84 of 205
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It seems a bit odd to me that Compressor costs the same as Motion. It's just a batch encoder. Motion is a full GPU compositing app. Plus, a lot of people will need it to encode DVD files so it would have made more sense to bundle it along with Final Cut X.

But, for Motion on its own to be $50 is insane pricing. This is an app that can replace a lot of the functionality in the $999 After Effects package.
  • Reply 85 of 205
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I do agree it's a super price. But for those of us (you included) who have been using FCS since the beginning, and have paid for all the upgrades as they came out, to now pay the same has someone who is buying his first station leaves a bit of a sour note. Upgrades to FCS should be 299$ including Motion/Compressor.

I could care less about the past. These new iterations are fantastic! Loving the new Motion.
  • Reply 86 of 205
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Ehhhhh, no. It's missing too many features that pros need. No deck control is the biggest shortcoming, although both AJA and Black Magic have alternative ways of getting around this. Apparently Apple realizes they need to get some of these features released and have told various editors who were given advance copies that improvements will come quickly. We can only hope.

As a hedge I just ought two copies of FCP 7 upgrade for later Ebay sale at a huge markup. Or I just bought a couple of expensive bookends.

I should have qualified my statement better and stated I mean professionals using all digital equipment. Being a small studio I haven't needed to control a deck for quite a while but I have fond memories ... not Assuming no log and capture add ons appear you can use 7 for that and then use X. I bet you get at least one copy to play with.
  • Reply 87 of 205
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

So it does install other support files outside of its own app location? Isn't this forbidden in the app store developer guidelines? Whether those external support files are installed by running an installer or installed automatically when the app is first run, it should not make a difference.

Couldn't find any support files for FCPX!

The path I mentioned were for project (event) clip data files.
  • Reply 88 of 205
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You aren't really upgrading from the previous app. FCP X is an entirely new app.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I do agree it's a super price. But for those of us (you included) who have been using FCS since the beginning, and have paid for all the upgrades as they came out, to now pay the same has someone who is buying his first station leaves a bit of a sour note. Upgrades to FCS should be 299$ including Motion/Compressor.

• Reply 89 of 205
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Looking forward to this very much!

What happened with Color?

Please say the new Color Board is as sophisticated as Color. If it's based on the Color Corrector 3-way one will have to invest in a more professional grading software, which is fine by me... I just want to know!
  • Reply 90 of 205
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    anyone have any thoughts on whether this will be available on a disc, in a box, in a retail store? (apologies to dr. seuss).
  • Reply 91 of 205
    Depends on the need.

I agree final deliverables that need to be at full quality have to be on a physical medium.

If its just proxies or dailies. Most often streaming those is much faster and more convenient as it does not have to be at full quality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Well for an HDCAM SR deck it is over $100k. I have a machine room full of decks and we use them every single day. Clients still want tapes and they will for a long time. Until Internet 2 comes out so we can upload huge HD files to the networks and distribution houses, tape is still king.

• Reply 92 of 205
    To ask a question with a question can you buy software from the Mac App Store on a disc, in a box, or retail store?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

anyone have any thoughts on whether this will be available on a disc, in a box, in a retail store? (apologies to dr. seuss).

• Reply 93 of 205
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Let me see... Final Cut Pro for the cost of Final Cut Express and people are worried about the cost?

I haven't used FCE for a while now as I've gotten by with iMovie but with an animation project I'm working on I will be moving straight to FCP for this cost. I can learn as I go.

It shouldn't be that difficult to learn... it's iMovie with real guts.
  • Reply 94 of 205
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Personally I'm disappointed they never really fixed Soundtrack Pro, it had potential but all versions were pretty dreadful. But I'll bet the app was barely used since it was such a mess and won't be missed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Looks like they have made the whole program simpler to use whilst still providing all of the high end editing features.

Nope, a number of features from the previous version are missing in this new one. Supposedly some or all will be back in updates fairly soon, but time will tell.

In light of this situation, I do think it would make a ton of sense to have a demo version of the app. Not so people can play around, but so existing FC users can try out the new version and find out firsthand how it works and exactly what features are missing in order to know if it's usable for them at this point or better to wait a few months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would it be? QuickTime X gets an update with Lion.

Any word on how it is? Does it restore all the features that disappeared with QTX?
  • Reply 95 of 205
    Who else does then when they make a major update to their flag ship pro apps?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

In light of this situation, I do think it would make a ton of sense to have a demo version of the app. Not so people can play around, but so existing FC users can try out the new version and find out firsthand how it works and exactly what features are missing in order to know if it's usable for them at this point or better to wait a few months.

• Reply 96 of 205
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    All the bitching about upgrade pricing completely misses the mark, IMO. $300 is crazy cheap for a professional NLE.

However, the real question is whether or not FCPX still counts as a professional NLE. For people doing free lance work, editing DSLR footage, or moving up from iMovie, FCPX is an incredible value.

However, FCP as we have known it has been used to cut feature films, documentaries and television series. For that market, the new version is almost bizarrely under-featured. No OMF support, no xml out or in, no edl in/out, no r3d (which is odd, since RED is sort of the Apple of digital cinema and every other mainstream NLE suite has already incorporated direct support), no multi cam, no 3rd party device support.

Now maybe some or all of those things are going to be added, and added relatively quickly. Apple apparently has hinted that the App Store distribution model will allow them to do more frequent updates. But as it stands, for a good chunk of the professional market that Apple managed to wrest away from Avid, this release is a non-starter.

I doubt FCP based edit houses are simply going to stampede en masse to another product, but it's not like the competition has been standing still. While FCPX addresses some long standing issues, it does so at the expense of some basic functionality that has a lot of people scratching their heads and starting to look around at other options.

As it stands, I'm not exactly sure who Apple thinks they're going to be selling this to. It's probably overkill for most of the people who think the price point is as good a reason as any to jump into pro editing, and it simply can't do what a pro editor needs to be able to do. Add to that Apple's usual silence on further plans or road maps and I'm afraid we may see a sharp erosion of FCP's market share over the next year or so, unless Apple starts adding back stuff pronto.
  • Reply 97 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Who else does then when they make a major update to their flag ship pro apps?

Off the top of my head, Adobe and Avid have demo versions.
  • Reply 98 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

As it stands, I'm not exactly sure who Apple thinks they're going to be selling this to.

My guess is people doing work that doesn't require the missing high end features, hobbyists with deep pockets, and a few high end pros who will buy it but just play around with it for at least a few months while they use the previous version for real work.

This release sounds a lot like QTX. Hey, it's 64 bit and shiny! But it's missing enough features that high end users will just stick with the old version.
  • Reply 99 of 205
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Any word on how it is? Does it restore all the features that disappeared with QTX?

Nowhere near all of them, but it certainly is better.
  • Reply 100 of 205
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

To ask a question with a question can you buy software from the Mac App Store on a disc, in a box, or retail store?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

downloading it from the app store is certainly doable. but the network where this will ultimately be run is not connected to the intertubes. and as i understand it, no connectivity to the app store means no app store authentication/authorization and, thus, the app will not be allowed to run when placed on the machine where it really needs to run.