Apple recommends yet unreleased OS X 10.6.8 for Final Cut Pro X users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has recommended that users of the newly released Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 update to Mac OS X 10.6.8, even though the update has not been released yet.

In a support document released today after the availability of the new Pro Apps, the company briefly mentions "Updating to Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later is strongly recommended when using Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, or Compressor 4."

The recommendation appears to indicate that the update should be available shortly. Apple is also working to release the initial public version of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, which is scheduled to become available next month.

While Lion will be available for a nominal $30 fee through the Mac App Store, the new 10.6.8 update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard will be a free update available through Software Update for all existing Snow Leopard users.

Apple also reminds users of the new Pro Apps run Software Update to download and install the new QuickTime codecs for Pro Apps, including Apple Intermediate Codec, Apple ProRes, AVC-Intra, DVCPRO HD, HDV, XDCAM HD / EX / HD422, MPEG IMX and Uncompressed 4:2:2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    modemode Posts: 163member
    What's this? Apple releasing video drivers and codec's that should have been available years ago... Woooot... this is the year of 'back to the Mac'.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    It's hard to believe Apple would say this unless the release of 10.6.8 is VERY imminent. As in 3...2...1....
  • Reply 3 of 17
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Apple should have waited until after the update was released before they released Final Cut Pro X.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

What's this? Apple releasing video drivers and codec's that should have been available years ago... Woooot... this is the year of 'back to the Mac'.

They have been available for years...as long as you had Final Cut of some kind.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

It's hard to believe Apple would say this unless the release of 10.6.8 is VERY imminent. As in 3...2...1....

Tonight I bet.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Tonight I bet.

I'm guessing Thursday
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

I'm guessing Thursday

It will be tomorrow I know ;-)
  • Reply 8 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cheops2006 View Post

It will be tomorrow I know ;-)

No, you don't. No more than any one of us.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I hope 10.6.8 fixes the macbook pro can't sleep while open issue, nothing else seems to be able to
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therakker View Post

I hope 10.6.8 fixes the macbook pro can't sleep while open issue, nothing else seems to be able to

If you are only using the Macbook Pro wireless try deleting the ethernet connection(It is easy to add back in). That worked for my 2010 model.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

If you are only using the Macbook Pro wireless try deleting the ethernet connection(It is easy to add back in). That worked for my 2010 model.

what do you mean by deleting? How do I do that, I didn't think it was active since i've never plugged anything into it? I tried turning airport off though with no avail.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

just tried it didn't work
  • Reply 13 of 17
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Maybe 10.6.8 will bring with it all of the pro features they forgot to put in today's Final Cut Pro X release
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Does this version of Final Cut finally support BlueRay; or is Apple still in denial that HDDVD Lost.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Does this version of Final Cut finally support BlueRay; or is Apple still in denial that HDDVD Lost.

To answer your question: yes, Final Cut Pro X does support Blu-Ray. And Apple has axed DVD Studio Pro and rolled it in to Final Cut (as they have also done with Color and Soundtrack). In fact, Final Cut Studio 3 already supported burning Blu-Ray disks.

More importantly, Apple has never favored HD-DVD over Blu-Ray. Steve Jobs has resisted physical media since the beginning of the Blu-Ray HD-DVD spat, arguing that streaming was going to make it obsolete before adoption was widespread. And for the most part, Jobs was right.

The reason Final Cut Studio 2 didn't support "HD-DVD" so much as it supported "HD" DVDs. That is because HD-DVD were just an HD format of the current DVD standard on an higher density disk than traditional DVDs. In contrast, Blu-Rays were a different format altogether.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

I said here 2 years ago. Dimeone I know saw FCP. Thr new one and said it was more like iMovie with the power of FCP. I guess he didn't mess with it.

I wouldn't worry. It will Be an easy to use program and with some updates, become very deep like FCP. Watch.

Peace.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davestall View Post

Does this version of Final Cut finally support BlueRay

1. It's Blu-ray. You're going to whine about useless tech, you're going to spell it correctly.

2. Final Cut Studio 3 supported Blu-ray burning, for frick's sake. We've had it for over a year.

Quote:

or is Apple still in denial that HDDVD Lost.

Apple has been on the Blu-ray board since Blu-ray came out. If you're going to make crap up, at least make up the truth.