76% of iPhone owners plan to use Apple's iCloud, 30% interested in iTunes Match

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Given that the necessary OS is installed on way less than 95% of the iPhones out there, I don't understand your reasoning.

Perhaps he (or she) meant that 95% of iOS devices which are able to use iCloud will by default use it without even necessarily making a conscious choice to do so.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Given that the necessary OS is installed on way less than 95% of the iPhones out there, I don't understand your reasoning.

Not that I am disagreeing with your premise but isn't there some kind of idiot (proof) update system for those devices not updated once this all comes into play?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martimus3060 View Post

I am curious about the old .Mac addresses and resumption of using them under iCloud.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597

What will happen to the content I have on MobileMe?

Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

Stays there for another year so you have time to move it.

And now I see that you're just quoting the site, sorry.

Why not try doing it like this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Support Document

Apple has announced a new service called iCloud which will be available this fall and free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.

• Reply 25 of 29
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    iMessage sounds good on paper but is proving to be unreliable in use. When sending a message it always defaults to iMessage over SMS if the person you are sending to is setup on iMessage, but it waits too long before telling you that the message failed to send before letting you choose to resend by SMS.

So if you need to send a message in a timely manor it's best to switch off iMessage and just use SMS.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Then count me in with the 76% majority as well as the 30% minority.

One of the best things about the Apple ecosphere is that, for the most part, there is this great integration between all the pieces and parts. The morning that the 3GS iPhone went on sale, all my MobileMe contacts and calendars were available on my new iPhone, before I even left the AT&T store. I think once most people figure that out about iTunes Match, my guess is that it'll have a lot more than 30% penetration amongst iPhone/iTouch/iPad users.

Syncing contacts isn't anything new, nor is it something that Apple does better than others. In fact, until iCloud arrives Apple will be charging for what Google and Microsoft have offered for free for a while now.

The setup is the same on an Android or Windows Phone device. Enter account information and your content is in sync.

Apple is playing catch up here with features like auto-upload photos and making the service free.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I have a lot of music ripped from CDs into Apple Lossless. Presumably I would have to convert them to AAC 256 before using iTunes Match. I'm thinking Apple are never gonna sell Lossless files so maybe it's better to convert and be done with it rather than have 2 copies of each song. $25/£20 a year is ok. Better than buying the songs again and I really like the idea. It's a pain keeping all my iOS devices in sync manually.

Whatever happened to the rumours of a new higher quality format to replace all these different options?

No you wouldn't have to convert, what would happen would be you would still keep your ALF files on your local library, then when you engaged the music-match thingy Apple would recognise those files and in the cloud you would have 256 AAC versions, which would then be available to sync automagically to your i(Pods/Phones/Pads).

It's actually quite nice because you can keep playing lossless music at home were storage is cheap, but have 256AAC on your mobile devices - without having to manage a local transcoding system.

What I really really want to know is what will it do with tracks where I modified the tags? Will i somehow remember my changes - god I hope so.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

iMessage sounds good on paper but is proving to be unreliable in use. When sending a message it always defaults to iMessage over SMS if the person you are sending to is setup on iMessage, but it waits too long before telling you that the message failed to send before letting you choose to resend by SMS.

So if you need to send a message in a timely manor it's best to switch off iMessage and just use SMS.

It is in beta
  • Reply 29 of 29
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Many thanks Charlituna & Cloudgazer for the info/advice. Most appreciated.

iTunes Match seems a neat idea I can't wait to get my hands on it. I only hope the PRS in the UK don't hold things up too long. These are the same people who sent letters to every business and shop in the UK a few years ago stating that if you want to play the radio in your office/shop you have to buy a licence. The boss made us turn the radio off in the office.