Adobe adds support for building iOS apps with Flash Builder, Flex

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, as I understand it Click2Flash only hides the Flash content, therefore the webmaster still thinks the client is indeed looking at the ad. If you delete the Flash plugin the webmaster can see that the client is unable to see the ad. So I don't think AI will go out of business if people use Click2Flash.

I disabled Flash entirely in all of my computers. I only have OmniWeb able to load it and I only load select sites like Hulu, otherwise I browse with Safari, no Flash at all. So if AI wants me to see ads then they can change their criteria. I would support AI of course, love this site. but not loading Flash thank you. Omni Web crashes several times daily. I can watch streaming Netflix all day on Silverlight, no crash at all (fans do rev up though) but I do get tired of sending crash reports all day, I really do.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd love to hear from Flash && iOS developers that can tell me 1) If this is pretty doing a Flash app to create an IOS app, 2) the quality of the code it creates, and 3) if it's just better to use Obj-C/Xcode to create your iOS apps.

I have been working with Flash for some time.

While I didn't get too hardcore with ActionScript almost 10 years ago I did do some XML parsing stuff off a live database which updated some visuals.

Since then we've had ActionScript 3.0 and Flex and what not.

I revisited ActionScript in 2008-2009. I made a product display engine and a pure-Flash website also driven off XML coming from a simple PHP-MySQL database. Pretty but ~Evil~

A few weeks ago at the bookshop I browsed through a book on using Flash Builder to make iOS apps with Flash/Flex. It does not look good. You might as well go learn native Xcode development (which I haven't yet). Also I don't trust Adobe to actually know what they're doing.

I just started downloading and reading about Corona SDK:

http://www.anscamobile.com/corona/

Apparently some ex-Flash people involved in that. I think if you are after rapid development, this is probably the better way to go. LUA code seems ActionScript-like and not too daunting compared to Objective C.

But anyways I'm planning how I can transition to iPad development. Taking the full dive into Objective C is no mean feat, and there's very few books yet on iPad development with Xcode 4, not 3.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anotherperson View Post

1. ANOTHER programming language I have to learn? I don't care how easy it is... No thanks, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2. Can this Adobe development system that can create apps for various mobile devices also create a conventional website in the same build step as just another target?

Corona looks interesting in that it can build for iOS and Android with the same source code. It appears highly geared towards games and possibly frivolous stuff but I haven't gotten deeper into non-game apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

The only thing I can say about this is: big meh

Flash tools for cross-platform applications have been available on PC's and Macs for decades, but the only things they are used for are banners, obnoxious websites, animations, and silly games that 9 out of 10 times also have a native version. For games, alternatives like Unity and Corona already exist that are much cheaper for developers.

Who exactly is waiting for tools like this, except lazy developers who think they can get away with substandard applications that perform mediocre on every platform, instead of trying to go the extra mile and make applications the perform outstanding on some?

Adobe is realling clinging to every last straw to keep their 'write once, deploy everywhere' development tools going, but if history teaches us anything, it's that developers don't actually mind all that much porting their games or sticking to one or two platforms.

Can anyone provide more insight on Corona?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by manzanaboy View Post

Still trying to compose myself from the "vomit on my shoes comment"

You're right I'm on Mac. I've just had both Flash and Dreamweaver for years and been wanting to take advantage of them since they came along with Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

At this stage, I would advise, don't learn Flash. Learn HTML+CSS or iOS native development or both if you're up to it. Dreamweaver for me is just used as a text editor with integrated FTP. Nobody uses the Design View in Dreamweaver unless you have a very "controlled" project.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggbrigette View Post

Look up Hype in the App store, it looks like it can do a lot of what Flash does on the internet, and anymore than what it does (like a total Flash site) should never be put on the internet anyway.

Code in html, CSS and javascript or go away. Flash on the internet is wrong in just about every way. I have never, ever liked it and am so relieved we have better alternatives now. (been a web designer since 1995)

Here is a really good article about Hype - http://mashable.com/2011/05/20/hype/

Hype looks really interesting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I hate to break the news to you, but Steve Jobs does allow crap apps in his store. I'm glancing at the App Store right now and it's filled with numerous non-functional, blatant copyright infringing, and terrible apps.

I think every week a new Dunt Hunt game is released on the App Store that rips the sprites and sounds directly from the NES game and barely functions. Or fake apps like Future Baby Face that seem to be a random image generator that took probably all of a few minutes to write. Some of the apps seem to be minimally functional merely to generate ad revenue.

There's definitely all kinds of infuriatingly silly apps that are approved for the App Store. Flash Builder may contribute to this. Corona may contribute to this. But I think we are at a "bridging stage" just like when we had web pages made with FrontPage with animated GIFs of explosions all over the place. Eventually better websites came along with handcoding HTML+CSS, Dreamweaver (earlier versions), and then devolved again with MySpace and Facebook (Facebook, while complex, is remarkably cluttered).

Interesting times.

The challenge is that we can have one-person website teams. But a one-person iPad app team? Except for the highly talented, anything significant is going to need more people. Or does it? What's your opinion.

The thing is with the iPad app, unlike the iPhone, I find the built-in interface widgets are only useful for things like Settings, etc. Everything else interface-wise for a decent iPad app will have to be custom designed.

The other thought I had is that some companies only need some very basic apps. For example, interactive Annual Reports or even Quarterly Magazines/Newsletters that are distributed for iPad. There are a ton of companies that want to show "we have an iPad app wooo". Tapping into this clientele with visual or rapid development tools like Corona may suffice, and while it does add to the "clutter" of the App Store, I think it's a valid endeavour. The self-contained, offline nature of iOS apps trumps HTML5 web apps at this stage (yes HTML5 has offline storage etc. but it's still rather messy - see the Google I/O Keynotes, the deprecation of SQL Lite, etc). For example, even if you had an Annual Report as a set of HTML pages, how would it all be stored offline as a web app? The one-page paradigm for web-apps would mean you'd load all HTML pages at once and then swap them in and out during page viewing. If you "lost" that cached "one-page" web app for whatever reason you'd have to navigate to the specific web page and load it again.

I think just like at the start of the web revolution we started needing better indexing of web pages and searching for useful websites, a whole new ecosystem will arise to index and search the App Store. There are some out there now, but the potential is larger. Each app has a public iTunes-formated HTML webpage and it is indexed by Google. But is there a "better-Google" for iOS Apps? Maybe called "Poogle"? Poogle, Appgle, Aaaagle, Oooogle, AppBing, BingApps, PingBing, Padgle, Padoogle... ??? Just brainstorming here. (I guess if I was in Silicon Valley someone would be throwing a few hundred mil in seed money at me already )
  • Reply 44 of 47
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 45 of 47
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The challenge is that we can have one-person website teams. But a one-person iPad app team? Except for the highly talented, anything significant is going to need more people. Or does it? What's your opinion.

The thing is with the iPad app, unlike the iPhone, I find the built-in interface widgets are only useful for things like Settings, etc. Everything else interface-wise for a decent iPad app will have to be custom designed.

If you can have a web design team of one (visual design + code) then you can have a team of one for ipad. iOS development is not harder than AS3 development -in many ways it is easier once you get to grips with it. It's also relatively easy to implement custom designed interface elements in ObjectiveC - Apple have done a really good job and iOS5 SDK will significantly improve upon what is already good.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    @nvidia2008 A 14 yr old kid submitted Bubble Ball(free version) at the end of December 2010 created with Corona SDK and knocked off Angry Birds(free version).
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggbrigette View Post

Have you had the same programs for years? If so the CSS in Dreamweaver is so woefully out of date (and the html for that matter too) then you are completely wasting your time. If up to date, then you are a bit better off. It doesn't hurt to learn Dreamweaver since you can get more jobs if you know it, but you would be better off watching the CSS videos at Lynda.com, CSS drives all of the layout and is so crucial for good looking and functioning sites.

Just like you said, " it doesn't hurt to learn since you can get more jobs if you know it".

I was reading an article about "HTML5 vs Flash" and holy cow! the ones commenting could have started WW 3! The hierarchy of client then designer then developer, I'm a graphic designer and I have respect for programmers and developers trust me I wish there was an easier way for me to learn Cocoa Touch and XCode and Objective-C. But some companies look for graphic designers "MUST KNOW ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE" oh and/or flash and dreamweaver. So it is a little frustrating.

I've been delving in the usual iOS stuff that comes with coming up with an app. That way I can develop and design my own stuff and have the best of both worlds.