Apple rumored to include dual-LED flash on next iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new speculative report out of the Far East claims Apple is likely to add dual-LED flash to the next-generation iPhone.

DigiTimes said Thursday that "recent market rumors" indicate Apple's iPhone 5 will likely come with a dual-LED flash. Taiwan-based LED packaging firms Everlight Electronics, Edison Opto and Lite-On Technology are named as potential suppliers. Although the publication has well-placed sources within the Asian supply chain, the accuracy of its Apple predictions varies significantly.

"Everlight and Lite-On have strengthened their deployments in the smartphone market for a while, with their products already being shipped to the supply chains of brand-name handset vendors," the reported noted industry sources as saying. Meanwhile, sources said that Edison specializes in high-power LEDs and has reportedly started shipping LED flash products to branded handset vendors, giving it a "high chance" of attracting dual-LED flash orders from Apple.

AppleInsider was first to report last week that Apple has "greatly reduced" orders for Philips LED flash components in recent months and may go with another company for the iPhone 5, according to a person familiar with the matter. At the time, the source indicated that "highly unconfirmed" rumors pointed to a Taiwan-based firm as the new LED flash supplier.

Apple first began using LED flash in last year's iPhone 4. Six months prior to the device's unveiling, AppleInsider reported that the iPhone maker was shopping for LED camera flash parts, with Philip's Lumileds Lighting sector as the likely supplier.

Last month, photos of a few purported next-generation iPhone cases and parts components emerged, showing a shift in the location of the device's camera flash. An alleged case leak showed up on a Chinese international trade site, followed by photos of a supposed fifth-generation iPhone rear camera part without attached flash. Finally, a photo of a back panel allegedly for the so-called iPhone surfaced in late May.

Reports on the next-generation iPhone have picked up steam as of late. Bloomberg claimed earlier this week that an A5-equipped iPhone with an 8-megapixel camera is coming in September. The report also alleged that Apple is working on an iPad 3 with "one-third higher" resolution than the iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Is this mean the next iPhone can take a HQ close-ups like what they do in a lab? You know CSI style. This only if these lenses are wide apart though.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Is this mean the next iPhone can take a HQ close-ups like what they do in a lab? You know CSI style. This only if these lenses are wide apart though.

It sounds like the flash, not the lens.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    the dual flash seems like a stretch to me.

i'm thinking that this higher resolution "iPad 3" may actually be iPod HD. a 6"-7" screen device with the 1080p aspect ratio and resolution would be the ultimate portable movie player and gaming device (eg HD games such as Real Racing 2). i very much doubt apple will release another iPad this year, and they're definitely not going to release a smaller iPad, but i think it would make sense to release a 'large' ipod touch to fill the niche between ipod/iphone size and the iPad. if apple isn't planning this already, they should!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Is it too much to ask for a REAL camera flash? Night photos with iPhone LED flashes are miserable and freaky looking.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    ...the iPhone 5 will have a triple LED flash! Woooooooo!

The latest "what the iphone 5 might look like" photo is just gay.

I know you guys need to post 4-5 articles a day to make the place look alive - but please stop chopping down electrons, k?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    It's a 3D lens.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Is it too much to ask for a REAL camera flash?

A xenon flash would be a wonderful addition to the iPhone. It's the only way to get acceptable results in low light conditions without a huge amount of post-processing (which often makes images look unnatural).

Ultimately, I think the a xenon flash would make the iPhone too thick though. The Nokia N8 takes easily the best photos of any cameraphone on the market but the camera module bulges out of the back of the phone. I doubt that this a trade-off that Apple is willing to make.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Huh?

Would one of them be front-facing? Hahahaha
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a 3D lens.

I agree, this would be a 3D camera and the screen become 3D picture or 3D movie ....
  • Reply 10 of 19
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Huh?

Would one of them be front-facing? Hahahaha

I had been wondering:

What is the benefit of having dual LED flash?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new speculative report out of the Far East claims Apple is likely to add dual-LED flash to the next-generation iPhone.

LEDs kill the battery, so I don't believe this.

I've seen Fandroids light up the LED flash on their phones and use them as flashlights. They just keep them on for MINUTES as they fiddle with some sort of little thing in their hands, or look through a dark drawer, or whatever.

Waste of battery. Apple would never do anything like that.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Huh? Would one of them be front-facing? Hahahaha

Good observation. For all the narcissistic teenagers. They won't have to do all those self-shots in front of the mirror anymore.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

t

i'm thinking that this higher resolution "iPad 3" may actually be iPod HD. a 6"-7" screen device

Sorry, but that would be DOA.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

LEDs kill the battery, so I don't believe this.

I've seen Fandroids light up the LED flash on their phones and use them as flashlights. They just keep them on for MINUTES as they fiddle with some sort of little thing in their hands, or look through a dark drawer, or whatever.

Waste of battery. Apple would never do anything like that.

You can do this on the iPhone 4 right now. What the heck are you talking about?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I had been wondering:

What is the benefit of having dual LED flash?

If they are spaced apart, the shadows would not be so harsh.

If close together, they would be twice as bright.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

The latest "what the iphone 5 might look like" photo is just gay.

k?

What! Are you in junior high? I'm a bit offended by your post.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwindmann View Post

I know you guys need to post 4-5 articles a day to make the place look alive - but please stop chopping down electrons, k?

Your post is quite juvenile.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your post is quite juvenile.

I found it quite funny, actually.

If only we could easily chop electrons like sushi. We could find out what goodies are in them. Smashing particles together to figure out subatomic physics is the equivalent of monkeys bashing old bones together trying to make a spoon. (Cue black monolith)
  • Reply 19 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

If only we could easily chop electrons like sushi. We could find out what goodies are in them. Smashing particles together to figure out subatomic physics is the equivalent of monkeys bashing old bones together trying to make a spoon. (Cue black monolith)

Do you think that quarks are just strings vibrating at different frequencies, or do you believe there are even smaller constituent particles in quarks themselves? Could it just be a plasmodial soup at Planck scale?