iCloud seen as further evidence of Apple television coming late 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I wish my boss let me make random associations between data without any supporting facts or evidence.

Without saying if there is or isn't going to be an Apple HDTV, there is absolutely nothing in the iCloud or the DVR patents to support such a claim. Currently, iCloud doesn't do streaming, so it doesn't even support AppleTV right now. The DVR interface technology could simply be integrated into AppleTV or added as a remote control app to the iPhone or iPad.

As a previous poster also noted, I make my TV purchases based nearly entirely on picture quality. And I expect a TV to have a much longer useful life than a computer or mobile device. Given the rapid change of technology, I wouldn't pay any sort of premium for a TV that was tied to a single service. Buying a $150 iPod that tied to Apple's paid content is one thing. Buying a $1000+ TV that's tied to work with only the iCloud, that's a whole other (unappealing) story. (Granted, the AppleTV does have access to a few other sources, including Netflix, but there's a reason I use a mini instead of AppleTV. )
  • Reply 62 of 107
    I think they'll (Apple) get into the TV business with a "whole' Apple TV, not just a set top box.

Running iOS and having iCloud and the interface with your iPhone and iPad seems a natural evolution to me. Imagine the possibilities.....
  • Reply 63 of 107
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Honestly, I don't see the use of an Apple branded HDTV. Apple TV provides everything such a product would offer and for only $100.

The much more exciting thing is iCloud for the video content you buy and rent from iTunes. That would be HUGE. Even bigger than iCloud for music. If video were supported, you would no longer have to worry about getting one insanely large hard drive to store your video content and another to back it up (and even a third if you're really being careful). I see no reason why users have to fret and deal with backing this content up when it's living there live on Apples serves at all times.

Buy a TV series from iTunes. Download and watch it all then delete it from your HD. In a year or so when you want to re-watch that cool show, you can just re-download it from iTunes for free (you've already paid a year ago) and delete it again when you are through. No user storage required. I can't wait for this day!
  • Reply 64 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I think it's been well established before that the TV market is commoditized with thin margins. Not the kind of market Apple plays in - but the same could be said for the Windows PC market, but Apple still makes lots of money on Macs.

Doesn't this also describe the mobile phone market? Apple was able to get people to spring for phones without subsidies from AT&T. People still bought them. They eventually had to bow down to subsidizing to gain market penetration (not as much as the buy 1 get 1 free of android phone manufactures). This is not the old Apple this is the most profitable consumer electronics company in the world, Apple. If they want to dominate or create a market they do it, and still make hand over fist money.

Personally, I wish they would develop a Tivo device that take the place of the DVR and sling box. But it would probably be a licensing nightmare.
  • Reply 65 of 107
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troehl View Post

The key to me is the integration and the simplicity of using a single remote. Right now if I want to watch a movie on my Apple TV I need the TV remote to switch inputs to the Apple TV, the amp remote to switch audio inputs, and finally the Apple TV remote to select my movie. It's a real pain.

snip

There's an iPad app for that, at least for the ATV. There are universal remote apps but they require, IMHO, overpriced hardware to transmit the IR. Some new TVs, Samsung for example support bluetooth and or WiFi enabled so IR remotes may be on there way out. Even so the iPad, or more likely a cheap Android tablet, with a $5 adapter is probably going to replace the current crop of universal remotes.
  • Reply 66 of 107
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I turned on my TV at 20 past 12 and it was an Apple commercial. Another clue?
  • Reply 67 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCDR13 View Post

APPL is in advance talk to by TV set maker Vizio, http://www.vizio.com/

Is there a point to the link?
  • Reply 68 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCDR13 View Post

APPL is in advance talk to by TV set maker Vizio

No. They aren't. For heaven's sake, they aren't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is there a point to the link?

Ad spam.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You really want people talking to you when you're cocked back in your La-Z-Boy, a gallon of Cheetos powder down your front, pants hanging open?

Okay.

Thank you for painting such a realistic picture of what you look like as you lounge in your man cave.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Apple has made an industry of combining devices either to make a more beautiful solution or a more seamless one. Look at an iMac, it's a computer built into the monitor. Isn't the logical extension an Apple HDTV that is an entertainment system built into a TV?

Would that be a 4:3 TV so it could work with the existing iOS ecosystem?
  • Reply 71 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple could differentiate themselves in the TV market by making the TV the actual digital hub for the home. They could include some iOS based home server as well as the AirPort Extreme and Apple TV into the set. I do agree that redesigning the remote is the key to making it work, however, I still don't see how they are going to integrate with the cable box.

Cable card. Any reason why not?
  • Reply 72 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

The TV intelligently stretches its panel between 16:9, 4:3, and 3:2 to meet whatever requirements it needs.
  • Reply 73 of 107
    aluopaluop Posts: 57member
    I still don't believe this. Compared to smartphone's volume, TV's volume is very low. Several people share one TV and you'll have replaced your smartphone several times before you get a new TV.
  • Reply 74 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Looking at the care Apple has given this particular logo (read: golden ratio) and what I believe Apple wants the iCloud to be I think that makes a lot of sense.

I can see this in the corner of a TV's frame at big box stores.

Good stuff!

It is interesting that the new iLogo is made for a widescreen monitor at 1.77:1 instead of the traditional iOS ratio of 1.33:1.

The golden ratio is not, BTW, 1.6:1. It is closer to 1.62:1, but what's a decimal point or two.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

iPods & iPhones aren't 4:3, so integration with widescreen won't be a problem
  • Reply 76 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

- they come in different sizes. Even if you discount below 1080p, there are 32, 40, 46 and 55 - inchers at affordable prices

So do moblie phones, from the smallest of flips to the big smart-bricks of yesteryear.

Quote:

- they come in different models. Even though the differences may be marginal, there is always a "Good, Better, Best" range of options. For each size, Best is often twice the price of Good

So do mobile phones.

Quote:

- they come come out with different features at least every year. However, no-one buys a new tellie every year. Unlike PC's, people don't even buy a new tellie every three years, it's more like 5 to 10

I think the average handset maker spits out a new model every month on average. Purchase cycles are 18-24 months.

Quote:

- the price changes. After a few months, you can buy the same model for two thirds of list price. A year later they are half price

Same with phones again.

Quote:

- they come with different technical specs for different parts of the world

That sounds an awful lot like the way phones do!

Quote:

So, even if Apple was prepared to ... face cut-throat competition from other TV makers

Like the way they do in handsets?

Every single reason why Apple won't just 'walk in' to TVs and be a success could have been given for why they couldn't walk in to phones. Now there is a good reason why TVs are different, and that's because user satisfaction with their TVs is probably on average higher than their satisfaction with their phones.

I have a 40inch Samsung 1080p screen. It's ok, though about 5% of the screen lies beyond the visible margins due to the way they enclosed it. Oh and the curved plastic enclosure has annoying reflections. Oh and the remote is kinda ugly. Oh and the menus are kinda nasty. But apart from all that it's a decent device and I dislike it far less than I disliked my last Nokia handset - and my last Nokia was an 8800 - not some plastic crap.

Of course it also has a ton of features that I never use because of the aforementioned ugly menus and nasty remote. If Apple offered me a smart-TV with an interface I might actually like, then I'd seriously consider it. Heck if MS did a smart TV with those neat looking live-tiles I might actually consider it in preference to this samsung device.

Why not just sell a lot of Apple TVs?

Because most consumers don't know that they want one. It's just a white box, and it doesn't ignite gadget-lust the way a big shiny screen can. That's why apple TV will never rise beyond the hobbyist market.
  • Reply 77 of 107
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Please, some one answer me what an Apple-branded TV would do which my current HDTV and AppleTV couldn't do?

Honestly, I buy a TV for it's picture quality and nothing else. If I want to play games or watch TV, I'll use a dedicated device!

It's for people looking for a new TV.

-

Steve looks to "where the puck will be", or something like that.

TV's will all be internet connected running sophisticated software and Apps. More and more people will be "cutting the cord" - Cable TV and Dish, etc. and getting their favorite content on demand, any time, anywhere.

If Apple only has an add-on device, and a consumer buys a new TV with GoogleTV built-in, why should they spend more on aTV add-on?

Apple likes to control the software, hardware - and now, the content - iTunes - iCloud.

If they don't make their own TV, they'll lose out.
  • Reply 78 of 107
    No market for TVs. No Apple brand TVs, just like there are no Apple tennis shoes, though Nike does add iPod connectivity.
  • Reply 79 of 107
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Please, some one answer me what an Apple-branded TV would do which my current HDTV and AppleTV couldn't do?

Honestly, I buy a TV for it's picture quality and nothing else. If I want to play games or watch TV, I'll use a dedicated device!

I just don't understand why everyone doesn't see the possibilities of an Apple Television with iOS and airplay. Imagine, all the games that can be designed for the TV. The iPad will be a controller. Think of all the multiplayer games where each person has an iPad.
  • Reply 80 of 107
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I don't think Apple needs to make their own TV to get into this market. Apple TV can go a lot further than where it is now, they just need to get the piece of the puzzle to get the momentum going.

I think this piece is going to be gaming. I've had this idea ever since the latest black boxed ATV came out since it runs iOS, but I'm not a game dev. If ATV can be powerful enough to act has a host 'console' like device for casual gaming, this can get momentum going. Here's the idea: I have an ATV and I can host a game. My example would be Hungry Hungry Hippos (you can look up this game if you don't remember it from your childhood ) Now when ever any of my friends come over with an iDevice, those devices can act as controllers. The point of the game is to be a hippo and run around to eat as many things as possible. You can use the accelerometer for controls, and the display can show your current score, plus an eat button. All the player's hippos will be displayed on the TV, you play in timed rounds, etc. You can even have special power-up that you can invoke from your iDevice screen, etc.

It's a simple concept, but this is something along the line of what Apple can do. It gets all owners deeper into the eco-system, drives more sales of iDevices since they're required if you want to play too, can be really cost-effective to get going (most people have an iDevice an a $100 ATV is cheaper than a Wii) and you can have lots of people playing. Once you get the ATV in the living room, you can also push the 'no more need for cable providers, use our service' mentality instead. This starts with the younger generation as they're always willing to go with newer technology.

Thoughts?

They could do a bundle pack with an AppleTV + iPod touch for $299.