Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released Mac OS X 10.6.8, the latest update for its Snow Leopard operating system, with enhancements to the Mac App Store that will prepare users for the impending launch of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

The update is available via Software Update or direct from Apple It is a 1.09GB file that requires users be running any version of Snow Leopard from Mac OS X 10.6 to Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Apple said the update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and that it includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility, and security of the Mac. The fixes included in 10.6.8 include:

Enhancements to the Mac App Store to get prepare to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion

Resolves an issue that may cause Preview to unexpectedly quit

Improved support for IPv6

Improved VPN reliability

Identifies and removes known variants of Mac Defender

With this week's release of Final Cut Pro X, Apple even recommended that users be running Mac OS X 10.6.8, even though it had not yet been released. The last beta of the operating system update was supplied to developers earlier this month with no known issues.

The "MAC Defender" malware was previously addressed by Apple in a separate security update, 2011-003, released at the end of May. Hackers and Apple have been engaged in a back-and-forth battle as the software has spread through search engines like Google through a method known as "SEO poisoning."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Running Lion already. Still a lot of bugs so not expecting a release till the end of July.

Of course, DP4 was the first build that was stable enough to use as an every day OS so it is getting there. Bugs now are mostly minor and down kill the system (although losing network after sleeping the system is a bit of a bugger.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Would it have killed Apple to add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player like iOS has?!
  • Reply 3 of 69
    marbiolmarbiol Posts: 14member
    Could someone please check the build of the public release? I'm running the last dev build release (I do have a dev account) and just want to know whether I should move to the release version if it's a newer build...
  • Reply 4 of 69
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Running Lion already. Still a lot of bugs so not expecting a release till the end of July.

what a coincidence ... apple has released some beta lion software and has announced general availability for july.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marbiol View Post

Could someone please check the build of the public release? I'm running the last dev build release (I do have a dev account) and just want to know whether I should move to the release version if it's a newer build...

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
  • Reply 6 of 69
    I can hardly wait for incremental updates. 1 GB for a minor update like this is ridiculous.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Would it have killed Apple to add an AirPlay button to QuickTime Player like iOS has?!

Yeah, all that takes is a button. Pff.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Downloading now, It's only showing as 275MB download for me.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    If it came out today, the final developer build is coming out next week and Lion should come out the 2nd or 3rd week of July.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azjay View Post

Downloading now, It's only showing as 275MB download for me.

Same here. 275MB download. Not sure where that 1 GB quote came from?
  • Reply 11 of 69
    amitdkamitdk Posts: 1member
    All

My display started showing partial vertical bars at the bottom of the screen after installing this release. I used the CMD+OPTION+P+R keys to reset the PRAM, assuming there were some graphic updates with this patch. After rebooting with that option, the login screen went almost black. I barely was able to login. I restarted again and finally the display was restored to the original state. Looks like something in the patch conflicts with settings cached in the PRAM or NVRAM.

- Amit
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

You should read your ADC agreement a little closer.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    marbiolmarbiol Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)

Thanks. No need to update ;->
  • Reply 14 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

I can hardly wait for incremental updates. 1 GB for a minor update like this is ridiculous.

This IS an incremental update. And how do you know it's 'minor'? A full update would be upwards of four gigabytes like your entire OS install was.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

The fact that different models of Mac have different download sizes for the same software, probably.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthewmspace View Post

If it came out today, the final developer build is coming out next week and Lion should come out the 2nd or 3rd week of July.

Snow Leopard and Lion have completely different teams. The release of a simple update to Snow Leopard has nothing to do with when Developer Previews, GMs, or releases of Lion happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

You should read your ADC agreement a little closer.

You're new here, aren't you?
  • Reply 15 of 69
    kynmorekynmore Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The fact that different models of Mac have different download sizes for the same software, probably.

The 1GB is for those who have < 10.6.7, I assume. I had the 1GB on one of my systems that I hadn't updated in a while.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

450Mb for me. I assume it's something to do with which model Mac you have, though I don't know.

I stay updated all the time, so I'm not upgrading from a version further back than the last one they released.

Anyway, who really cares. Downloads are fast and free.....
  • Reply 17 of 69
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Does it kill you to add anything playing in QT with a one-button click (or a single drag'n'drop) to iTunes to get AirPlay capabilities?

(Well, I only have an Airport Express and no Apple TV thus I don't know whether iTunes' AirPlay integration includes video.)
  • Reply 18 of 69
    Hi, i have a question, i currently have lion dp4 installed, will i be able to install the commercial or retail lion from the mac app store?

Thnx,
  • Reply 19 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

Hi, i have a question, i currently have lion dp4 installed, will i be able to install the commercial or retail lion from the mac app store?

Thnx,

This is what you get for installing software that you have absolutely no right to have.

Live with whatever happens come July. You have no one to blame but yourself.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Done and seems to be OK.

It enable TRIM support? Now my Air say TRIM Support: Yes.