Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Hahaha Ohhhh I totally called this release coming out today two days ago

And we need more graphics drivers.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

I can hardly wait for incremental updates. 1 GB for a minor update like this is ridiculous.

The combo update is just over 1GB. Is that what you downloaded? That would explain the size.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
  • Reply 23 of 69
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

450Mb for me. I assume it's something to do with which model Mac you have, though I don't know.

I stay updated all the time, so I'm not upgrading from a version further back than the last one they released.

Anyway, who really cares. Downloads are fast and free.....

Mine was 4XX as well, odd, it had all the updates before that. I wonder how people got just 275?
  • Reply 24 of 69
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    The 10.6.8 update on my Quad Pro has killed Time Machine backups (backup drive suddenly seen as Read Only), blocked App Store updates (privilege issues), and blocked moving old iTunes TV files to the trash ("because files can't be deleted").

Help?
  • Reply 25 of 69
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    The 10.6.8 update has fixed two MAJOR bugs I was experiencing with Celestia (an openGL astronomy software, in case you don't know what it is). To me, this system update is a MAJOR one !
  • Reply 26 of 69
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Surely everyone knows that OS updates via Software Update are sized according to what Mac+OS you're running, and that the Combo Updates downloadable directly from Apple's website are able to update any Mac?

In my experience, Combo Updates are much more stable. I never update via Software Update unless that is the only option. Thankfully, most updates are available via Apple's Support pages.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edoardoz View Post

Done and seems to be OK.

It enable TRIM support? Now my Air say TRIM Support: Yes.

Alas my OWC SSD has not had trim support enabled. I suppose it is only enabled for certain approved SSD drives.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Alas my OWC SSD has not had trim support enabled. I suppose it is only enabled for certain approved SSD drives.

I've been running an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, used trim enabler and I've had no issues.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Running Lion already. Still a lot of bugs so not expecting a release till the end of July.

Not according to licensed developers who actually know what they are doing.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    zachb10zachb10 Posts: 59member
    Note, after applying 10.6.8 I had to re-enable trim support with trim enabler. All seems well.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "- Improved support for IPv6

- Improved VPN reliability"

Hmmmm. Sounds like Apple is working on two of the components that could make iCloud more robust. IPv6 for "tunnelling" through firewalls and point-to-point communication between any of your iDevices and Macs (or even pee cees.) VPN for secure access to your data on, say, Apple's iCloud data center in North Carolina. Even from unsecured public wi-fi hotspots.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

I've been running an OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, used trim enabler and I've had no issues.

Thanks for that response. I did a search and it seems that some people have had some problems so I might hold off and see what Lion brings.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Same here. 275MB download. Not sure where that 1 GB quote came from?

combo is 1.09gb
  • Reply 34 of 69
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

You should read your ADC agreement a little closer.

Not sure what ADC requirement you might be referring to. It is public knowledge that anyone who wants to spend $99 can sign up for the developer program and get access to Lion. All software has bugs and Apple has announced a July release. So what has been revealed that is not already public and stated already by Apple?
  • Reply 35 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not according to licensed developers who actually know what they are doing.

Mmm... no. Lion still has its fair share of bugs.

I JUST had this happen to me. DP4 Update 1 and iTunes 10.5. Tried to watch an MP4 movie that has always worked before. I had previously done a "Get Info" on it to change the artwork. Artwork disappeared and refused to be replaced. Then when I tried to play it, this happened.

This might not be a bug, though. Apple might actually be discontinuing QuickTime entirely and letting iTunes handle media. You never know.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This IS an incremental update. And how do you know it's 'minor'? A full update would be upwards of four gigabytes like your entire OS install was.

The fact that different models of Mac have different download sizes for the same software, probably.

Snow Leopard and Lion have completely different teams. The release of a simple update to Snow Leopard has nothing to do with when Developer Previews, GMs, or releases of Lion happen.

You're new here, aren't you?

In regards to 'OrinalMacRat' I couldn't understand the criticism. Lion is buggy and it will likely be released the 2nd or 3rd week, so what's the problem?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Not sure what ADC requirement you might be referring to

When you create an ADC account, you are accepting a NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

In regards to 'OrinalMacRat' I couldn't understand the criticism. Lion is buggy and it will likely be released the 2nd or 3rd week, so what's the problem?

He was correlating releases of Snow Leopard to releases of Lion previews, and they have nothing to do with one another.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Same here. 275MB download. Not sure where that 1 GB quote came from?

That's for the stand alone 10.6.8 combo updater (1.01 Gb)
  • Reply 40 of 69
    It killed my iMac, after update the machine rebooted and never started up after that - I am stuck with white screen after reboot, not even apple logo. Help!