First references to 2011 iPod touch refresh surfaces in Apple's iOS 5 beta

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
References to an unreleased version of Apple's iPod touch have turned up in code strings found inside the company's first beta of iOS 5.0, though the discovery may raise more questions than answers.

Specifically, one eagle-eyed developer over at the ifans.com forums turned up a singular reference to an "iPod 4,2" while browsing the resources of Apple's first iOS 5.0 beta distribution for the existing iPod touch, referenced as "iPod 4,1."

The discovery, which has been verified by AppleInsider (see below), may be significant in that it could suggest Apple may be planning to release an evolutionary refresh to the iPod touch this year rather than a revolutionary one that would presumably cary an "iPod 5,1" identifier.

But as TUAW points out, that same reference to an iPod 4,2 has been lingering in iOS builds since iOS 4.3, which has since been released to the public. As such, the discovery could manifest as nothing more than another iPod 2,2 -- an identifier for an unreleased iPod touch discovered a couple of years back that never made it to market.

As it stands, few details have surfaced on Apple's 2011 plans for the iPod touch, which has historically seen refreshes during the September time-frame when Apple routinely holds a media event to usher in its latest innovations in the music and media space.

To this end, Apple has consistently introduced new iPod touch models with internal design attributes that follow closely in the footsteps of iPhone models introduced earlier in the year. For instance, the fourth-generation iPod touch unveiled last September adopted the same A4 processor and supporting components that made their debut that summer in the iPhone 4.

With Apple pushing back this year's launch of a new iPhone to the September quarter, it's possible the company could hold off on the inclusion of its A5 chip inside the new iPod touch, again giving the iPhone first dibs on the technology with the iPhone 5. However, such a move seems unlikely.

That same A5 chip already powers the company's second-generation iPad and Apple has been adamant in closing any window that could allow its competitors to encroach on its market dominance by fitting its iOS devices with the most powerful mobile and graphics processors, among other enhancements.

In each instance where Apple has performed material internal upgrades to its iOS devices' componentry, it has referenced those models with corresponding jumps in their identifiers. For example, a move to Apple's A4 chip in the fourth-generation iPod touch from the Samsung-manufactured ARM reference processor in the third-generation model saw its identifier jump from iPod 3,x to iPod 4,x.

Therefore, listings of a minor revision to the iPod touch's identifier in early iOS 5 builds (iPod 4,2) could indicate that Apple plans a more modest upgrade to the players this year alongside the A5-equipped iPhone 5. Alternatively, the reference may be little more than a left-over, with all references to an iPod 5,1 intentionally omitted from software builds that enter into broad developer distribution.

Earlier this month, references to a pair of third-generation iPads (iPad 3,1 and iPad 3,2) turned up in similar distributions of iOS 5.0, suggesting Apple plans to introduce the next-generation of its hot-selling tablet device in only two versions: a WiFi version and world 3G version capable of running on both GSM and CDMA networks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    If they introduce a new iP5 and iPT5 together, that will surely bring down the house - whatever the house they do the presentation in. Now, please give the iPT the same cameras as the iP!
  • Reply 2 of 26
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Now, please give the iPT the same cameras as the iP!

Not going to happen due to size constraints. Honestly, there's only two things I want added to my iPod touch 4: an extra hour of battery life and a 3 MP camera on the back.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Correct, the iPhone's 5MP autofocus camera module is too bulky for the iPod touch.

We'd be lucky to see a smaller 3MP non-autofocusing camera module in the next generation iPod touch. If there are parts available, it is likely that there is a iPod touch prototype with a 3MP camera sitting in a lab in Cupertino. Whether or not the part shows enough price-performance value to merit being included in the final design is a totally separate matter.

With the physical space constraints and the resolving power of the small lens, it is likely that there would be little benefit to a 5MP or 8MP sensor in the iPod touch.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    rcoleman1rcoleman1 Posts: 153member
    Apple please give the next gen iPod touch a major bump in capacity (at least 128GB) with the A5 chip and a better camera!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Apple please give the next gen iPod touch a major bump in capacity (at least 128GB)

Very likely.

Quote:

with the A5 chip

A given.

Quote:

and a better camera!

Can't happen.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Very likely.

A given.

Can't happen.

a better camera "Can't happen"???

are you saying the current iPod touch camera is the best possible camera the iPod touch could possibly have? i'd like to think otherwise...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

are you saying the current iPod touch camera is the best possible camera the iPod touch could possibly have? i'd like to think otherwise...

A better camera simply won't fit in the slim case Apple has designed for the iPod touch. And they will NEVER consider making the case any larger. So. No way the iPod touch will get a better camera. With Apple, form always wins over function.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Yet. It's physically impossible. Yet.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Not going to happen due to size constraints. Honestly, there's only two things I want added to my iPod touch 4: an extra hour of battery life and a 3 MP camera on the back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct, the iPhone's 5MP autofocus camera module is too bulky for the iPod touch.

We'd be lucky to see a smaller 3MP non-autofocusing camera module in the next generation iPod touch. If there are parts available, it is likely that there is a iPod touch prototype with a 3MP camera sitting in a lab in Cupertino. Whether or not the part shows enough price-performance value to merit being included in the final design is a totally separate matter.

With the physical space constraints and the resolving power of the small lens, it is likely that there would be little benefit to a 5MP or 8MP sensor in the iPod touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

A better camera simply won't fit in the slim case Apple has designed for the iPod touch. And they will NEVER consider making the case any larger. So. No way the iPod touch will get a better camera. With Apple, form always wins over function.

Perhaps it was true last year that the iPod Touch could not squeeze in a 5 MP camera. This is no longer true: http://bit.ly/k4vqSg
  • Reply 10 of 26
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

Yep, because battery life has nothing to do with function, and Apple's products almost always have best in class battery life, usually by a very wide margin.

Higher quality screens with best in class touch sensors add nothing to the function of the device, either.

The largest, most accurate, most advanced trackpads on the market don't add function to their laptops.

Apple didn't pioneer webcams in laptops, firewire, the adoption of USB, multitouch... I could keep going on, but it's just getting redundant at this point.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

With Apple, form always wins over function.

With a handheld device, form is function.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    jwilcoxjwilcox Posts: 13member
    I would like to see a new iPT that looks like a iPad with 3g. It would be like an iPhone except without the phone. I could get 3g data from ATT or V. with a cheep data plan. Every thing I need in a small package.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Perhaps it was true last year that the iPod Touch could not squeeze in a 5 MP camera. This is no longer true: http://bit.ly/k4vqSg

Interesting, but I would find it more likely for them to adopt the "FaceTime HD" 2MP camera found in the new iMacs and MacBook Pros. Bulk ordering.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwilcox View Post

I would like to see a new iPT that looks like a iPad with 3g. It would be like an iPhone except without the phone. I could get 3g data from ATT or V. with a cheep data plan.

I don't think that an iPad nano will ever exist.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    5-6 inch iPod touch HD with 1024x768 display and touch sensitive surfaces top and bottom (sides when in landscape)

Maybe 3D

A5+ processor with the SGX543MP4 graphics chip

3DS and Vita KILLA!!
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Its like apple is not taking the ipodtouch line as seriously as the iphone they are always making it less and less desirable. This is one product that shows so much promise in the portable media market yet it has been crippled to be a least favorite child. it can do almost every thing the ipad and iphone can do with up to 64 gig of memory and fit into your pocket at the same time. i really hope they get their sh** together on this product and include the things everyone wants to see. It has always been the ultimate apple gadget for me (because of the storage space and extreme portability like an ipad mini) and it kills me to see it so crippled. i still wish it had a 3G option though..\
  • Reply 17 of 26
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadyside4fyr View Post

i still wish it had a 3G option though..\

The entire point of the iPodTouch from Apple's perspective is to sell it into markets where they don't have good carrier relations. A 3G touch would piss off carriers and cannibalize iPhone sales, that's if the carriers even let them do it.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Nope.

If you look at iPod touch/iPhone demographics, the two product lines are serving significantly different age brackets.

The iPod touch is mostly being used by 13-24 year olds. The iPhone is largely used by the 25-55 year old people, the folks who can afford cellular costs.

Steve himself said that the iPod touch is "training wheels" for the iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Garage Band for iPod Touch That is what I want. If it takes the A5 chip to do it then great. Even if it could run on the A4 I'd still like it for the Touch model.

When this happens the iPod Touch will become my portable computer. It can search the web, run iWork, do e-mail, create and edit movies, and do Facetime calls. That's all I do with my home computers. The iCloud will allow me to store my stuff and share it with my other computer. I'll sell the laptop and just keep the desktop and the iPod Touch. YAY!, less stuff to clutter my home.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Garage Band for iPod Touch That is what I want. If it takes the A5 chip to do it then great. Even if it could run on the A4 I'd still like it for the Touch model.

It runs perfectly well on the A4. But the interface can't possibly work on a 3.5" 3:2 screen.