40% of European smartphone buyers plan on buying iPhone next, 19% choose Android

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post


    I think that a lot of these will end up going for a cheaper android, unless apple does release a mid priced device. Then they will probably reach or even exceed their 40%.



    I think this is going to happen sooner than most think. All the speculation seems to be that the iPhone "Nano" will target China and India but there is a huge market in Europe for a premium "Pay as you go" phone.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrispoe View Post


    I agree with MacRulez statement, what people say and what people do are two totally different things.



    Yes, except as the data I linked showed, in Europe that statement of intent matched existing marketshare, so your point is?
  • Reply 23 of 46
    aep528aep528 Posts: 12member
    The article isn't clear - are these people who already have a smartphone and talking about their purchase, or people who are considering a smartphone for the first time?



    That could significantly change the interpretation of the data. For example, if 60% of people surveyed already own an iPhone, but only 40% of people surveyed said their next smartphone would be an iPhone, that's a significant decline.



    What did the survey actually measure, and what is the current market share for each phone type?
  • Reply 24 of 46
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aep528 View Post


    The article isn't clear - are these people who already have a smartphone and talking about their purchase, or people who are considering a smartphone for the first time?



    That could significantly change the interpretation of the data. For example, if 60% of people surveyed already own an iPhone, but only 40% of people surveyed said their next smartphone would be an iPhone, that's a significant decline.



    What did the survey actually measure, and what is the current market share for each phone type?



    This "survey" is worthless without this information.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aep528 View Post


    What did the survey actually measure, and what is the current market share for each phone type?



    http://www.yankeegroup.com/research/...obileStudy.pdf



    The survey measured intention amongst consumers who intend that their next handset would be a smartphone. The release doesn't explicitly say it but it strongly implies that they survey is NOT limited to people who already own smart phones. If it was limited to only smartphone users I would expect them to say this.



    Existing EU wide smartphone share can be found on the link I posted a while back



    http://www.fiercewireless.com/europe...are/2011-02-09



    45% existing share is compatible with a 40% strong intent and half of the 10% or so undecideds ending up buying iPhone. Overall this survey would indicate that Apple is holding position in the EU market.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Europeans know their stuff.







    The funny thing about this, is that Apple does next to no advertising in Europe, I can't even remember seeing a single tv advert or billboard here, ever. So much for 'Apple is all marketing'.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post






    The funny thing about this, is that Apple does next to no advertising in Europe, I can't even remember seeing a single tv advert or billboard here, ever. So much for 'Apple is all marketing'.



    I think they did a poster campaign at London Underground stations - though I can't find any pictures so maybe I'm mis-remembering. But I think Waterloo station or Bank station maybe - one of the long travelators anyway.



    Edit :



    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5622869136/
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post






    The funny thing about this, is that Apple does next to no advertising in Europe, I can't even remember seeing a single tv advert or billboard here, ever. So much for 'Apple is all marketing'.



    Lots of Apple advertising in Paris and London - on billboards but not on TV. Been a long time since I've been to the Netherlands.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


    ?These findings highlight the continued strength of Apple in the European smartphone market and, in particular, its phenomenal brand appeal,?



    I find this quote really fascinating. It really shows why competitors fail to compete against Apple so miserably (classic example being the iPad). Most people get so taken in by Apple's "brand appeal", they forget why that brand appeal actually exists.



    Because they make damn good products. I like the Apple brand, because I know when I buy a product from them it will be a well made, well-conceived product. I know the company spent time and effort on it, and thought its use case through, rather than hoping I would find some way to take advantage of it.



    Yep. There is a certain part of the market that buys Apple because it is hip and trendy but most buy because of the brand reputation for simplicity, reliablity and service couple with the "looks good and feels good" effect.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    From wiki: Singapore & Israel are the only countries in the world that forbid SIM locking and contract/phone bundling outright.



    Belgium did used to but not since mid-2009.



    There are rules in some EU markets that require carriers to unlock phones but that's not the same thing at all. France probably has the strongest rules within the EU for supplying an unlock, and you can pick up an iPhone-4 for 200 Euro on contract there, so clearly those laws are not significantly impacting French carriers' ability to subsidize their phones.



    There has been legislation going thru the European parliament to force carriers to unlock phones when your contractural commitment has ended. In practise most carriers will do this anyway now and certianly in the UK there is a "Gentleman's agreement" between carriers that makes it so.

    Very few people in the UK buy unlocked phones at full price but the iPhone is an exception. At launch 40% of iPhones sold at Apple stores were bought of contract and it is still around 20% now. The high resale value on iPhones contributes to this hugely.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post


    Very few people in the UK buy unlocked phones at full price but the iPhone is an exception. At launch 40% of iPhones sold at Apple stores were bought of contract and it is still around 20% now. The high resale value on iPhones contributes to this hugely.



    Erm, do you have a link for that? My recollection of buying a first gen iPhone in the UK was that you had to get it with an O2 contract. I thought that you could only buy unlocked phones in the UK after that exclusive expired in 2009. In fact back in 07 when it launched you had to jailbreak the phone to unlock it.



    The BBC seems to confirm my recollection http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7085643.stm



    Those figures you quote might have been right for the iPhone-4 though.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Here's their website



    http://www.yankeegroup.com/home.do



    They are the suppliers of the data. By looking at their website, are they reputable enough?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    Erm, do you have a link for that? My recollection of buying a first gen iPhone in the UK was that you had to get it with an O2 contract. I thought that you could only buy unlocked phones in the UK after that exclusive expired in 2009. In fact back in 07 when it launched you had to jailbreak the phone to unlock it.



    The BBC seems to confirm my recollection http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7085643.stm



    Those figures you quote might have been right for the iPhone-4 though.



    Yes, sorry, I was referring to the iPhone4. The 3G which was the first sold in UK, was locked from O2 but they would unlock at the end of contract or if you paid off your remaining months. The 3GS was available unlocked (full price) and on all carriers (locked, subsidised).
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post


    Personally, I'd continue to buy the iphone, but I have invested in the ecosystem.



    It's not clear from this survey what would reverse the trend - i.e. what's compelling European customers to favoring more iPhones when they have been buying more Androids for a while now. If the reason for favoring Androids is pricing, then nothing is changing. If it is anticipation for iPhone 5, then that initial excitement will wane and Europe will settle back into the current Android-iPhone ratio. Unless the US, there is no Verizon effect to stifle Android growth.



    One thing that is different in Europe is a much deeper mistrust of Google and also that many of the Google services aren't available in Europe or have become available much later.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 36 of 46
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    Yes, except as the data I linked showed, in Europe that statement of intent matched existing marketshare, so your point is?



    I don't think your link is saying intent matches market share at all.

    The link you showed was for Mobile OS's market share, not Iphone market share. The reason IOS has 40% plus in your link is because that link is including all IOS devices and not just Iphones. If you removed ipods and ipads share, it looks to be saying Iphone market share may be well under 30% like MacRulez suggested.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,684member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


    Actually, as I noted in the portion of my post that you replied to, I'm merely using the chart Apple Insider provided with the article, labeled "iPhone's market share by region | Source: IDC":



    removed...



    According to the chart's key, Europe is identified by the pink squares.



    The only mistake I made was referring to the highest number, which turns out to be US share. European share is shown in that chart even lower than I cited, about 21%.



    If Apple Insider made a mistake with that chart you can correct them at this address: [email protected]



    The chart that cloud glazer referred to monitors web traffic. Statcounter, ftw. That probably does over-measure Apple's position relative to the actual units sold. However, very little of this is important to the future - Apple is trending higher, and Android lower, possbily because of the lack of apps, or the seriously low quality of most Android phones.. Deal now with the article we have before us, or complain to [email protected]



    EDIT:



    Actually the article says



    As of the March quarter, Apple's smartphone market share stands at just above 20.8 percent in the area, behind only the handset's 30 percent market share in the U.S. By comparison, Android currently comprises 35.7 percent of smartphone sales in Western Europe.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post


    A subsidized phone is a subsidized phone. And "saving" $100 up front when you're going to be spending $100 or so a month for the next two years seems more than a little shortsighted...



    Your thinking of the US market, in Europe 75-80% of people are on PAYG which means we buy our own phones. Almost everyone on contract ever has it on expenses or at least partly paid for by someone else. The iPhone is a tougth buy at ~$700 for a 3GS.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post






    The funny thing about this, is that Apple does next to no advertising in Europe, I can't even remember seeing a single tv advert or billboard here, ever. So much for 'Apple is all marketing'.



    Wot! in the UK Apple adverts are on tv every day and as for billboards it seems, at least in the UK and Spain, 80% iPad/iPhone, 20% Samsung and 0% everyone else. There are probably others but for billboards it seems like only Apple and Samsung. Now Nokia, they dont seem to be doing any advertising and that's definatly hurting them.
Sign In or Register to comment.