Apple releases Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 on Mac App Store

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 205
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You are transferring over 30GB of data from DVD though. If you install just the apps without the content packs, it goes a good bit faster. You can actually archive the content packs to a hard drive and just copy them on as needed and cut out all the versions you don't use e.g. PAL vs NTSC templates.

I must add that the content did download a little later and it also took a little while, so my times are off, but it was still easy.

I'm also not a pro video editor (we create video in an animation suite and then use DVD Studio Pro to output) so I can't voice much one way or another about FCPX being good enough. I bought it personally and played around with it last night. It was pretty easy to get a hang of and I put together a ten minute project pretty quickly. Have had FCP for years but never used it as I never had the need, just for DVDSP and occasionally Soundtrack Pro. I actually will be attending a FCS study session today with an instructor from Apple Japan; am expecting lots of people to be asking about FCPX.
  • Reply 202 of 205
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Not good enough. This is software that businesses rely on. In one day, they discontinued that software and reverted to a package that is not powerful enough to handle high-end workflows. They have done this before but not to such a drastic extent. While you can still use Final Cut Pro, a studio can't buy new seats/licenses so what are they supposed to do?

For right now keep using FCP. If they feel that Apple is not supporting their future needs in a satisfactory way they are free to use someone else.

Quote:

I think it's good to cut the legacy and force people to move on if they design and test the software to handle it. Not even opening current project files or allow migration is just sheer lunacy. You can't even open them both at the same time so it's not as if you can even rebuild it by referencing as if you'd want to do that.

I agree it is jarring but........

If FCP X doesn't support features that are required for every day use then their is little need to be worried about opening up XML files.
  • Reply 203 of 205
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Oh geez. Someone was bound to make one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVV9wEQZmGE

Screaming in German, adult content in subtitles. If it offends don't watch.
  • Reply 204 of 205
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The "sky is falling" predictions come from people not really being clear on exactly where Apple is going to go with FCP X. So they just make up stuff to fill in the gap.

Your posts pull stuff out of left field to support your opinion. I've talked with several editors in the flesh. None are saying "the sky is falling". You're putting words in peoples' mouths. What they are expressing is a lack of confidence that there is anyone left at Apple who has ever set foot in a video post house and that no amount of hyperbole can prop this app up as one with any place in the world of broadcast or film work. Can't do it. No sky is falling. They're working on their work and shaking their heads or laughing.
  • Reply 205 of 205
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Your posts pull stuff out of left field to support your opinion.[

Can you quote something I've pulled out of left field? Can you quote me on any hyperbolic statements that I have made?

Quote:

I've talked with several editors in the flesh. None are saying "the sky is falling". You're putting words in peoples' mouths. What they are expressing is a lack of confidence that there is anyone left at Apple who has ever set foot in a video post house and that no amount of hyperbole can prop this app up as one with any place in the world of broadcast or film work. Can't do it. No sky is falling. They're working on their work and shaking their heads or laughing.

They are expressing that lack of concern based on what they don't know. I think its fine to have concern over the fact that Apple is not being forthcoming with the future roadmap of FCP X and a hesitancy to build your livelihood around something that you don't have clear information about. I think that is reasonable.

Statement such as "Apple no longer cares about the pro market" are the "sky is falling" references that I am talking about.