Apple confirms iCloud to retain web apps, but ax iDisk and iWeb

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    I'm really quite disappointed at the loss of Gallery, especially since there's no clear alternative that offers the same seamless integration and polished appearance. And this comes only two years after Apple pulled the rug out from under HomePage users when it shut down that service and made no effort to aid in the transition of data to Gallery.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Apple manages to delete people's data with almost every transition they do ....

This is almost the textbook definition of hyperbole.

They transferred data once, and there was some minor data loss with some people.

You can't tell anything from that. You're being ridiculous.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woolie View Post

They fixed Mobile Me by loping off the things that WORKED!!!! I failing to see the beauty of iCloud when hundreds of hours of work are tossed in the trash...

Thank you! I agree 100%

Having Web Gallery, iWeb hosting and iDisk all under one roof was an awesome service. MobileMe was great at grouping ones digital life into one integrated package. Now Apple is turning it's back on integration and is promoting fragmentation. Have they forgotten that integration is one of the HUGE reasons we love Apple?

I was anticipating iCloud dropping iWeb hosting and started using an FTP site to host my site. Of course doing that has already cost me as much as my MobileMe subscription. Now Apple is telling me I have to pay Flick for my picture hosting and pay DropBox for my file sharing. How is this a good thing?

iCloud offers some good features, but why did it have to drop the best of MobileMe to get them?
  • Reply 44 of 90
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Maybe I'm being naive, but is there a Apple consumer complaint email addy that anyone can write to in matters like this. We have almost a year to bombard them with complaints. Doesn't anyone remember when SJ got rid of Matte screens only to reintroduce them after Pro and non-pro complaints? My point is, it can't hurt. Just complaining here may get us nowhere, but I know it's good to vent.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    This is turning out to be another one of those many times as an Apple user that decisions by Apple are going to force me to fix something that isn't broke. I use, on a near daily basis, most of the services being cut from MoMe. I just uploaded a large PDF, too large to e-mail, so my colleague could access it. I use iWeb and MoMe to host my site. I sync my keychains etc across all my computers. Bummer bummer bummer.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Maybe I'm being naive, but is there a Apple consumer complaint email addy that anyone can write to in matters like this. We have almost a year to bombard them with complaints. Doesn't anyone remember when SJ got rid of Matte screens only to reintroduce them after Pro and non-pro complaints? My point is, it can't hurt. Just complaining here may get us nowhere, but I know it's good to vent.

The best place to vent is at Apple's Feedback page.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Here's a direct link to the MobileMe Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html

I've already sent two responses through this page regarding the MobileMe losses. It really stinks.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Let me add that I use iDisk across a number of older computers and laptops that still have life left in them. The new iCloud appears like it will only work with Macs running the latest OS. My older machines can't even upgrade to the new OS (G4 chips).
  • Reply 48 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

Sadly I am one of those 15. Loved iWeb for ease of maintaining blog on own domain. Hmmm? might be time to finally migrate to a "real" web site builder app...

Just use the built in FTP option on a Network Solutions web host or similar, it works like a treat.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Friday offered some additional transparency on its MobileMe to iCloud transition, specifying which features will safely make the jump to the new service and which will be lost forever -- namely iDisk, Gallery and iWeb.

So basically, Apple is confirming that iCloud is NOT a replacement for MobileMe. In the same way that Quicken Essentials is not a replacement for Quicken. They are two entirely different products. One of which is being abandoned...not upgraded, replaced, or superseded by the other, totally different, product.

And yes, I am placing Apple with the likes of Intuit. Both companies have or are abandoning users of their products without a credible replacement in the new product.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Apple is making a laughing stock out of themselves - how do you have an "iCloud" service with no iDisk or iWeb? It's just a poor man's version of Sugar Sync except you only get to sync a few selected proprietary file formats.

Nope not file formats. They'll put access to iCloud in Xcode and developers will have to use the framework to implement it. The end user likely won't even know what iCloud is or that it exists. The app will open up the iCloud data store and all the user will see is that their data is synced across machines.

Apple has never been a fan of files and directories (I remember comments on this line when Spotlight was introduced).
  • Reply 51 of 90
    ruckerzruckerz Posts: 58member
    but praytell why in the world does it need an Administrator password? This makes it very hard to implement on managed clients.

With iDisk my clients were able to use theirs without bugging me for administrator access.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    I know that iweb will keep working with idisk, and I can use it to post my site somewhere else via FTP, but of course, that hosting won't be free. However, my main concern isn't really hosting a "site" persay, as much as hosting web-accessible files that I (or someone else) can access via your basic web link. I guess the dropbox thing requires that you access your files with some sort of app, regardless of platform, right? (correct me if I'm wrong on that, I'm not a dropbox user currently, so I don't know the ins and outs).

My main thing is that I want to be able to easily put files of any type (not just certain media types associated with specific aps like doc, jpg and gif, mp3 and aif, etc) up on a server and be able to access them via a standard HTTP connection from wherever on whatever platform WITHOUT any special client app, just a browser. So, web hosting, without the website. iDisk has worked great for me for a long time, so it's really irritating that they're going to just drop it. I mean, they just finished their GIANT data center in N Carolina for the icloud stuff, I would think that the iweb/idisk users' data storage and server-side bandwidth requirements would be a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what they're preparing for with icloud, so why not just leave it alone, roll it into icloud, maybe lower the storage amount given for free if necessary, charging a bit for more GB.

Blah, the whole thing irritates the hell out of me. I suppose I'm just going to move to regular old web hosting somewhere else, which will inevitably require me to do my uploading via ye olde ancient FTP, totally UN-integrating the whole situation for me.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

Check out Dropbox. You can host websites on there and a free account with unlimited bandwidth gives you 2 GB of space. That's more than enough for most websites.

Yes. We get it. You get more space if you refer people. But that's what we call spamming in these here hills. This town ain't big enough for a spammer.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Just pay to colocate a server or a hosting service. Everything is on your terms and can be migrated wherever you wish. My @mac.com address is the only reason I'm sticking around at this point.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

The best place to vent is at Apple's Feedback page.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Here's a direct link to the MobileMe Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html

I've already sent two responses through this page regarding the MobileMe losses. It really stinks.

Thanks yensid98. Sent mine. I kept it civil, hopefully someone will actually read it.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

So I iCloud has no way of storing arbitrary files? I imagine the sync services are wrapped behind some kind of Cocoa framework bummer.

What the hell is an "arbitrary file?"
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

iDisk gone. So how do we get large un-emailable non-apple files like powerpoint presentations into keynote for iPad/iPhone?

My understanding of Documents in the the Cloud is only apple files will use the feature. iPad for keynote currently can access ppt files on iDisk. I wonder how they will handle non-apple files now that you can't store data directly in the cloud view a cloud disk?

I am a huge fan of Dropbox. I hardly ever use idisk anymore.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

What the hell is an "arbitrary file?"

Oh, you know, one of those in the corner. Go ahead and pick one. Sure, that one, why not.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

I guess Back To My Mac is on the scrap heap too.

The article clearly states that Back to my Mac is sticking around.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

All a good idea except for the Mac Mini part.

Better that than an Xserve!