Apple confirms iCloud to retain web apps, but ax iDisk and iWeb

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

Check out Dropbox. You can host websites on there and a free account with unlimited bandwidth gives you 2 GB of space. That's more than enough for most websites.

I signed up with that link and never got an extra 250MB.
  • Reply 62 of 90
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

iDisk was the main reason I subscribed to MobileMe. It's good iCloud is going to be free cause I wouldn't pay for a service that didn't allow me to stash files for access nearly anywhere.

I definitely use iDisk, but it was the 'share your albums from iPhoto with family anywhere' thing that was compelling for me. Now, from what I gather, I won't even be able to share the albums with myself anymore - I don't want to try to load/manage all the photo storage on my portable devices, being able to use the MobileMe gallery app and/or web interface was just perfect, and being able to share high-quality one-click-download galleries was great too.

I know there are alternatives (though thanks to the person giving me the 1password tip), I just liked having the disk storage / photo albums / keychains / email / etc. all in 1 package, and it really feels like the iCloud rollout will force things to get more complicated unless you really don't want to see your filesystem or share photo albums anymore. I really don't get it.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

I am a huge fan of Dropbox. I hardly ever use idisk anymore.

I use Dropbox for work (need to share with Windows users as well), iDisk as a not-remotely-tied-in-to-work home & personal fileshare. But the hope would have been that iDisk is cleaned up to be as good as Dropbox with at least a Windows client integration as well, Mac side improved with status badges, etc.

Apps could have defaulted to saving into some known location & structure in there for the 'easy' case, you could still browse/add/remove from the filesystem cleanly, as well as set up your own structure if you felt like it. Toss in better support for versioning (for a single end user it would almost NEVER be an issue, and for a team it would have been useful).

There's no 'we' in iCloud, that's for sure, at least not based on the keynote. Instead, iDisk is dead. Hmmm.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    ben10ben10 Posts: 4member
    what if i want to use my itunes/mobileme account for itunes....AND and old itunes(non mobileme) account for itunes? i have apps purchased with the old, and the new. I'm guessing I'll probably have to use my mobileme account for everything, and then when I need to update apps, just sign out/in, then back out/in. Pain, but that's how it is now ...
  • Reply 65 of 90
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ben10 View Post

what if i want to use my itunes/mobileme account for itunes....AND and old itunes(non mobileme) account for itunes? i have apps purchased with the old, and the new. I'm guessing I'll probably have to use my mobileme account for everything, and then when I need to update apps, just sign out/in, then back out/in. Pain, but that's how it is now ...

I could have sworn the app store did this for me. For example, if I have two accounts and have app updates from both accounts, I'll get a popup asking for my first password, and then a second popup asking for the other. Maybe I was wrong though, I dont know.
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

All indications are yes.

Thanks Robin!
  • Reply 67 of 90
    I'm really going to miss iDisk and MobileMe in general. Like most people who stuck with it, it only got better and more stable with each upgrade. In fact, the current incarnation of MobileMe is an amazing feat of Web 2.0 magic...almost hard to believe it's HTML5/Ajax/Javascript. And in my opinion, far more attractive than Google's web applications.

My hope is that iCloud will eventually match or surpass iDisk as a cloud service, and elevate Apple to a leadership position in this new cloud thing by basically wrapping their new operating systems (Lion, iOS 5) around that cloud in a most seamless way. If they are going where I think they are going, then I won't miss iDisk, because I won't need it. I'll have my documents on my Mac and they'll also exist in the cloud. (Of course I don't know if that's how it will work. And will I want to sync the 800GB of HD video that I'm cutting on the Mac Pro with the 128GB available on the MacBook Air? Probably not.)

But that might be the true beauty of iCloud: deep OS integration. Whereas Google tries to wrap a thin browser shell around Google's web apps, and Microsoft tries to clumsily extend Windows into the cloud with Windows Live, Apple might move to the front of the future of personal computing with iCloud. Bold, risky move. But I'll give it a chance to succeed.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

iDisk gone. So how do we get large un-emailable non-apple files like powerpoint presentations into keynote for iPad/iPhone?

My understanding of Documents in the the Cloud is only apple files will use the feature. iPad for keynote currently can access ppt files on iDisk. I wonder how they will handle non-apple files now that you can't store data directly in the cloud view a cloud disk?

DropBox.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    I like iCloud and agree to stop iDisk which did not work anyway as Dropbox e.g. does this way better, but I dont like they skip iWeb. This will force me to redo my website I have in iWeb now. I dont like this at all....I am pissed off by this!!! KEEP iWEB AND INNOVATE THIS !!!!

Moreover, good features like keychain sync are axed also. Why? Why cant iCloud sync keychains?

Wrong way Apple....
  • Reply 70 of 90
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Please people, complain to Apple *LOUDLY*. iWeb, iDisk, Gallery all are like a good service I can use once I subscribe to iCloud.
  • Reply 71 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

I signed up with that link and never got an extra 250MB.

You have to install the Dropbox app on your computer, or mobile device. That's how Dropbox seamlessly syncs to your machine.
  • Reply 72 of 90
    Quote:

Get yourself a Dropbox account.

Hotlink a Dropbox hosted image here and I might.
  • Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

DropBox.

As far as I know, DropBox requires the receiver of the file to either use the DropBox app, or use a web app interface to retrieve the file. You can't just send them a direct link to the file. This is useless for me. MobileMe was much better.

An MP3 file.

An image file.

A .zip file.

An MS Word file.

etc.

Can DropBox do this, or not? Where can I do this on the cheap, without serious bandwidth restrictions?

Actually, my suspicion is that there are legal problems for Apple offering iDisk services (hosting of copyright or otherwise illegal files), and they've just decided to cut the service entirely in order to avoid these problems.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

As far as I know, DropBox requires the receiver of the file to either use the DropBox app, or use a web app interface to retrieve the file. You can't just send them a direct link to the file. This is useless for me. MobileMe was much better.

The receiver of the file doesn't need to install Dropbox. It's just a link. The sender need to install Dropbpx though.
  • Reply 75 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

The receiver of the file doesn't need to install Dropbox. It's just a link. The sender need to install Dropbpx though.

Read what I said again. The receiver has to either install Dropbox or receive the file through a web app interface. Yes or no. If no, then please hotlink an image here to prove it.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Get yourself a Dropbox account.

I have one. I cannot open for example open keynote for iPad files on the iPad. I have to sync via iTunes. Keynot let's you open mobile me files and WebDAV accounts. dropbox is not WebDAV.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post

Sadly I am one of those 15. Loved iWeb for ease of maintaining blog on own domain. Hmmm? might be time to finally migrate to a "real" web site builder app...

I use iWeb with extra storage to maintain our website and podcasts which has worked like a charm and seamlessly when exporting from GarageBand. THIS SUCKS!
  • Reply 78 of 90
    grouty2grouty2 Posts: 42member
    Add me to the list of people who will miss the Keychain syncing. I hope Apple monitors forums like this.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

I hope Apple monitors forums like this.

I wouldn't depend on that. More importantly, in addition to AI and other forums, please make a statement directly to Apple if you want any possible resolution. If enough people do, you never know.

Try to keep it civil and educated. Tell them how important it is to you/your business. I did and it only took a few minutes. If Apple doesn't get an overwhelming amount of complaints they couldn't even reconsider it. It's up to you to make a difference.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mobileme.html
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Quote:

... or receive the file through a web app interface...

Like I said, it's just a link. Just right click the link and save file, or open it and save. Who cares where you receive it through? You don't have to go to Dropbox website just to download the file someone sent to you, if that's what you meant.

Quote:

Yes or no. If no, then please hotlink an image here to prove it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5437895/amelie%20f.jpg