Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.8 with Mac App Store enhancements for Lion

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Again, What has he disclosed that Apple has not already disclosed? Once Apple discloses something it is no longer restricted by the NDA!

Where did you read this?
  • Reply 62 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Where did you read this?

It's common sense.

Remembering instantly that there IS an actual book called Common Sense, that's not what I'm talking about here.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

The 10.6.8 update has fixed two MAJOR bugs I was experiencing with Celestia (an openGL astronomy software, in case you don't know what it is). To me, this system update is a MAJOR one !

What were the bugs? I haven't used Celestia in a while but am thinking of firing it up again.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

I did nothing wrong, I have instalked the update same way as all other updates and then bammmm. I googled that more people had similar problems and no known reason was discovered so far, in my case removing bootcamp partition solved the problem (I wasn't using Windows anyway).

Just be careful before updating. :-)

So please do tell us EXACTLY how you did your update... and I'm sure there will be at least half a dozen replies saying: YOU DID IT WRONG!

No matter that each time before you did it the same way and it worked. Consider that dumb luck. This time? Not so lucky.

Hint #1: you did do a backup and repaired permissions BEFORE you clicked update, didn't you?
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russ10s View Post

So. Downloaded this update through software update and now my MacBook Pro is unresponsive. I get all the way through the boot process and to the desktop. But at that point, nothing is responsive. My cursor moves, but I can't click on anything. Visually, the only thing that looks out of the norm is my volume icon is grayed out. How do I fix my computer?

Edit: After just letting the computer sit for about 10 minutes, it just started working. The volume icon was still grayed out and the mail app wouldn't open though. I downloaded the full combo update and ran that instead. Everything seems to be working great now.

So tell the class now: what did you learn by that?

Snark aside, it is always advisable IMHO to take the extra time and download the Combo update (overnight)... and then repair permissions as I mentioned above FIRST and again AFTER.

Works EVERY time for me and close to 35 systems I'm responsible for since Jaguar I believe.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Highly recommend perm repair before & after any upgrade, and if you have issues PRAM & SMC resets are always a good idea. Also using a tool like Onyx to delete system caches sometimes helps.

I really wish Apple would build in some of these simple troubleshooting techniques to happen automatically when issues are encountered. Great tool for some of this stuff is AppleJack, lets you do a lot of that stuff from single user mode.

Sorry. Missed your post detailing what I wrote above.

YES! Updates should include a prep-script, and a post-script, from Apple that does all of this for the user.

It would save 1000's of wasted forum posts, rants, and grey hairs. Well... too late on the grey hairs part for me

BTW: I also "cheat" by using Applejack. I'm just not sure it's a good idea to point newbies to that powerful program without knowing what they are doing. Onyx for most people is too dangerous even. No. Official Apple scripts is the answer.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    OK after a few days we found there are indeed some printing issues ("breaks" some drivers) but that's more a matter of vendors being ahead of the curve and updating their drivers. On a positive note, this update resolved an issue with some third party USB drives that were previously causing panic on reboot.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    Found a volume of approx 210 Mb, writable but not mounted with name disk0s1. It is new? Lion's remote installation ready?
  • Reply 69 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edoardoz View Post

Found a volume of approx 210 Mb, writable but not mounted with name disk0s1. It is new? Lion's remote installation ready?

No, it isn't. That's been there since OS X started. Leave it alone; trust me.