Facebook's Zuckerberg modeled management style after Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to one of Facebook's early employees, founder Mark Zuckerberg admired Apple CEO Steve Jobs and modeled his early management style after Jobs' "aggressive" style.

Former Facebook designer Bryan Veloso described Zuckerberg's respect for Jobs while explaining the origin of his notorious "I'm CEO, bitch?" business cards. "It's no secret that [Zuckerberg] looked up to Steve Jobs at the time," Veloso wrote of the early days of Facebook.

"When Aaron Sittig and I were the only designers in late 2005, he would hold his design meetings with us in that classic "aggressive" Steve Jobs-style," he continued. "It was during one of those meetings where I remember him first uttering the phrase, "I'm CEO, bitch?""

When designing Zuckerberg's business card, Veloso "felt comfortable" having fun with the tagline and added the quote. "Quite simply, it was a phrase I typed in that stuck," he said. According to Veloso, the cards represented the company culture at the time, but were eventually replaced as the company grew.

Zuckerberg's quick rise to success and idiosyncratic style have drawn comparisons to Jobs. Last December, Zuckerberg beat out Jobs for the honor of Time magazine's annual "Person of the Year" title. Jobs was instead listed as one of the magazine's "People Who Mattered."

The Facebook founder also topped Jobs on Forbes magazine's list of the wealthiest Americans last year. Zuckerberg came in 35th place with an estimated net worth of $6.9 billion, while Jobs placed 42nd with a net worth of $6.1 billion.

Last fall, Jobs hosted Zuckerberg at his house to discuss Apple's Ping social music service.

Recent rumors have suggested that Facebook is looking to work around Apple's App Store with a secretive HTML5 project in order to maintain control over its platform. However, Apple is reportedly aware of the project and is believed to have lent some "minor support" to it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Contrary to popular opinion, I happen to think that the "Social Network" movie was pretty boring and extremely overrated. I didn't find anybody to be likeable in that movie and I was secretly wishing that it turned into a disaster flick from the 70's and that everybody ended up dying a horrible death so that it would be done quicker. That would at least have made it more exciting. I don't see what's so great or innovative about Facebook, and I wouldn't compare the kid from Facebook to Steve Jobs. Facebook is one thing only, it's a social networking site, big deal. Apple and Steve Jobs have innovated in so many more ways. Some kid walking around muttering "I'm CEO bitch" doesn't sound like a good emulation of Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Yap. Mr. Zuckerberg, you made a good choice. You chose a good man to look up to.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't see what's so great or innovative about Facebook, and I wouldn't compare the kid from Facebook to Steve Jobs. Facebook is one thing only, it's a social networking site, big deal. Apple and Steve Jobs have innovated in so many more ways. Some kid walking around muttering "I'm CEO bitch" doesn't sound like a good emulation of Steve Jobs.

This is what I would think you'd have said circa 1976?
    Quote:

I don't see what's so great or innovative about Apple, and I wouldn't compare the kids from Apple to Henry Ford. Apple is one thing only, it's an expensive typewriter, big deal. Ford Motor Company have innovated in so many more ways. Some kids walking around muttering ""Byte into an Apple" doesn't sound like a good emulation of Henry Ford.

PS: I'm not a Facebook user but I can still see how social networking has a very real effect on facilitating communication and by extension shaping culture.

PPS: I find it interesting that the most anti-social people in this world seem most responsible for shaping our social habits.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I definitely wouldn't have said that. I hadn't touched an Apple computer yet in 1976, but by 1980-81 I had, and I quickly knew what the deal was.

Quote:

PS: I'm not a Facebook user but I can still see how social networking has a very real effect on facilitating communication and by extension shaping culture.

PPS: I find it interesting that the most anti-social people in this world seem most responsible for shaping our social habits.

I don't deny that Facebook is huge and has a gazillion members. Who was their main competitor before they became big? MySpace? They were lucky with that because MySpace was disgusting looking and their design and layout was pukeworthy.

Like you, I'm not a Facebook member either, so I'm probably biased here. I just don't like broadcasting my private details and putting it on the net for all to see. And besides, I have too many enemies, and I'd rather that they didn't know what I was up to either.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Steve Jobs has influenced more people over the years than we can imagine. Jobs owns Silicon Valley and has since day one. I look forward to reading his authorized biography when it is published.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    Mark Zuckerberg wishes he had one-tenth of the innovation, charisma and talent that Steve Jobs has in his left pinky.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    Quote:

I'm getting tired of this "it's about communication" and "it's influencing culture" argument. Social networking isn't about communication, it's about advertising. Saying social networking is a cultural revelation makes it sound altruistic, when it's really about selling crap.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to one of Facebook's early employees, founder Mark Zuckerberg admired Apple CEO Steve Jobs and modeled his early management style after Jobs' "aggressive" style.

Former Facebook designer Bryan Veloso described Zuckerberg's respect for Jobs while explaining the origin of his notorious "I'm CEO, bitch?" business cards. "It's no secret that [Zuckerberg] looked up to Steve Jobs at the time," Veloso wrote of the early days of Facebook.

"When Aaron Sittig and I were the only designers in late 2005, he would hold his design meetings with us in that classic "aggressive" Steve Jobs-style," he continued. "It was during one of those meetings where I remember him first uttering the phrase, "I'm CEO, bitch?""

When designing Zuckerberg's business card, Veloso "felt comfortable" having fun with the tagline and added the quote. "Quite simply, it was a phrase I typed in that stuck," he said. According to Veloso, the cards represented the company culture at the time, but were eventually replaced as the company grew.

Zuckerberg's quick rise to success and idiosyncratic style have drawn comparisons to Jobs. Last December, Zuckerberg beat out Jobs for the honor of Time magazine's annual "Person of the Year" title. Jobs was instead listed as one of the magazine's "People Who Mattered."

The Facebook founder also topped Jobs on Forbes magazine's list of the wealthiest Americans last year. Zuckerberg came in 35th place with an estimated net worth of $6.9 billion, while Jobs placed 42nd with a net worth of $6.1 billion.

Last fall, Jobs hosted Zuckerberg at his house to discuss Apple's Ping social music service.

Recent rumors have suggested that Facebook is looking to work around Apple's App Store with a secretive HTML5 project in order to maintain control over its platform. However, Apple is reportedly aware of the project and is believed to have lent some "minor support" to it.

If Jobs was all about the money I don't think he would only take a $1 a year as his salary, so I don't think he is too concerned about his Forbes ranking either.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't see what's so great or innovative about Facebook, and I wouldn't compare the kid from Facebook to Steve Jobs. Facebook is one thing only, it's a social networking site, big deal. Apple and Steve Jobs have innovated in so many more ways.

Way to jump on the "I hate Facebook" bandwagon.

Zuckerberg said he based his management style on Steve Jobs... not his company.

You're right... Apple is a hardware company and Facebook is a website.... but that's not what this article is about.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Someone else copying Apple? Whaaaa... no way!
  • Reply 11 of 77
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I saw this coming. If it's so great that Steve behaves the way he does, then why shouldn't everyone behave the same way? After all, shouldn't everyone aspire to greatness? So let's have every manager and CEO start behaving like Steve Jobs and Dr. House.
  • Reply 12 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

then why shouldn't everyone behave the same way? After all, shouldn't everyone aspire to greatness?

I dunno.... not everyone can be sweet and cuddly... or rule with an iron fist... or any of the other management styles.

Zuck liked Jobs' style... maybe it worked best for him.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    this guy is a fucking moron, he 'd wished he 'd take after Steve, but...lol...everyone who knows anything, knows enough not to compare this spoilt narrow minded shit with Steve.

Lol, Steve compared to Zuckerberg, it;s like comparing Jesus to some, well, unimportant shit.

Every interview with Steve, shows a visionary, a guy inspiring other people, but Zuckerberg.... is someone almost all people who know what's going on wouldn't hire him to empty a trash bin, every interview of his, shows a colossal moron. And when I say colossal, I mean COLOSSAL. No art, no flair, no brains, no panache, no nothing.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

I'm getting tired of this "it's about communication" and "it's influencing culture" argument. Social networking isn't about communication, it's about advertising. Saying social networking is a cultural revelation makes it sound altruistic, when it's really about selling crap.

exactly, i am so glad i read your post, that's why i like ai, unlike other places most people here think beyond the trite hype. bravo brother.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Way to jump on the "I hate Facebook" bandwagon.

You're right... Apple is a hardware company and Facebook is a website.... but that's not what this article is about.

yeah so wtf is your argument? cause I got some vapid shit out of what you said, absolutely vapid. Spare us the bullshit...just cause this guy says he based his style off of Steve, so what? Should we take this word for it, hahahaha, I based my style off of Einstein, and just cause I said so you got to believe me...grow a brain, you facebook kids are a big embarrassment.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If Jobs was all about the money I don't think he would only take a $1 a year as his salary, so I don't think he is too concerned about his Forbes ranking either.

Just chiming in here.. When Steve Jobs asked for $1 salary, he was at a position where money doesn't really matter for him, and so is now.

If, just if you're being offered for a position like Jobs with that kinda salary, will you take it?
  • Reply 17 of 77
    bjojadebjojade Posts: 91member
    The question is not about current imaginary market worth, it's about staying power. In 10 years, will FaceBook still be as important? Will Apple matter in 10 years either?
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post

+1

I would agree. All those things, is just one of the medium. It will get replaced but the end product will still be the same; crap and d'oh!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Maybe not. But ranking, might be in secret. Who knows? The $1 salary does not matter when you already have stock options not mentioning he was already on Pixar and NeXT.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

yeah so wtf is your argument? cause I got some vapid shit out of what you said, absolutely vapid. Spare us the bullshit...just cause this guy says he based his style off of Steve, so what? Should we take this word for it, hahahaha, I based my style off of Einstein, and just cause I said so you got to believe me...grow a brain, you facebook kids are a big embarrassment.

If you look... I was replying to someone who basically said "Facebook is just a website... Apple is more innovative."

That's not what this article is about at all... it's about management style.

But you just replied with "so what?" to the entire topic... so maybe this article shouldn't have been written at all.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

this guy is a fucking moron, he 'd wished he 'd take after Steve, but...lol...everyone who knows anything, knows enough not to compare this spoilt narrow minded shit with Steve.

Lol, Steve compared to Zuckerberg, it;s like comparing Jesus to some, well, unimportant shit.

Every interview with Steve, shows a visionary, a guy inspiring other people, but Zuckerberg.... is someone almost all people who know what's going on wouldn't hire him to empty a trash bin, every interview of his, shows a colossal moron. And when I say colossal, I mean COLOSSAL. No art, no flair, no brains, no panache, no nothing.

I agree with that. I'm not sure where the evaluations come from either. How can Zuckerberg be valued at $6.9b and Jobs at $6.1b when Facebook made $1.8b in 2010 vs Apple making $3.5b profit per quarter in 2010 and currently $6b. I guess it's personal accumulated wealth but if you run a company generating $25b a year vs one generating $2b a year, I'd say you're worth more, especially if you don't just make money from advertising other people's products.

It's also tiring to see so many people try to mimic Steve Jobs. By all means follow an example but people take it too far. It's clear to see why because they might end up with product launches like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjoRMHyYQc

but still, individuality is everything when it comes to becoming an icon instead of an iCon.