Inside iOS 5: New lock screen notifications, receding iMessage keyboard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Don't these beta-testers have to sign an NDA?

These kind of leaks hurt the entire Community, because the competition gets a head-start.

I think Apple borrowed from Google on this one....
  • Reply 42 of 73
    I was just wondering how the new iCloud works. Does it use something like a mobileme email, or does it use something like an apple id like what you use for your itunes? I really hope that it uses an apple id, because I don't want a separate email accout that I'll never use, only with iCloud!
  • Reply 43 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by j_lavasser View Post

I was just wondering how the new iCloud works.

Magic.

Quote:

Does it use something like a mobileme email, or does it use something like an apple id like what you use for your itunes?

The answer to that question is yes.

Quote:

I really hope that it uses an apple id, because I don't want a separate email accout that I'll never use, only with iCloud!

You have to use an e-mail address that ends in @me.com. You of course can use this AS your Apple ID, but merging it with any old Apple ID is a manual, arduous process that you have to talk to Apple about directly.

Because of this nonsense, I see them offering account merging automated in a few months once iCloud is off the ground.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Magic.

The answer to that question is yes.

You have to use an e-mail address that ends in @me.com. You of course can use this AS your Apple ID, but merging it with any old Apple ID is a manual, arduous process that you have to talk to Apple about directly.

Because of this nonsense, I see them offering account merging automated in a few months once iCloud is off the ground.

No account merging. If you have an Apple ID that is not @me.com then you cannot merge it with an @me.com when you move to iCloud. You can, however, use the @me.com account for iCloud and the other Apple ID with the App Store and iTunes. It is stupid. I have an @me.com account but before I got it few years ago I used another email as my Apple ID. Apple says there is no way to merge the two. You can't even change your Apple ID to an @me.com because @me.com already is an Apple ID!
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No account merging. If you have an Apple ID that is not @me.com then you cannot merge it with an @me.com when you move to iCloud.

... Sure you can. People are doing it a lot these days.

Quote:

Apple says there is no way to merge the two.

And I say they'll offer an automated way to do so near the start of next year.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:

... Sure you can. People are doing it a lot these days.

Again.. If you already have an @me.com account and another Apple ID (non @me.com) you cannot merge the two. It is well known issue. Maybe it is possible if both are non @me.com.

From Apple website:

Quote:

If I use different accounts for iTunes and MobileMe, can I merge them into a single account and use it with iCloud?

No. You cannot merge two accounts into one. However, you will be able to move your MobileMe account ([email protected]) to iCloud and, if you choose, you can continue to use a different iTunes account for store purchases and iTunes in the Cloud.

Quote:

And I say they'll offer an automated way to do so near the start of next year.

See the quoted Q&A above.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Quote:

Again.. If you already have an @me.com account and another Apple ID (non @me.com) you cannot merge the two. It is well known issue. Maybe it is possible if both are non @me.com.

From Apple website:

See the quoted Q&A above.

Dunno. I've seen it done, and their site's current statements have no weight on the future.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member
    The keyboard still has no cursor keys? So much for Apple usability!
  • Reply 49 of 73
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

He wants to be reminded of an event two years before it happens for cripes sake and was going on a long annoying tirade against the software maker for not allowing it.

Fine. I'm a jerk (but he's an idiot).

At the very least, he fails to understand the concept of "the reminder."

I can totally see the utility of a reminder two years early, and popping up every 5 minutes or however often. The reminder could say, for example, "instead of throwing epithets, it is possible to just ignore posts from others if you don't like what they have to say."

Just saying ...
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:

Dunno. I've seen it done, and their site's current statements have no weight on the future.

Well.. the statement is about the future. If it was going to happen they would have said you could. But Apple posting a specific Q&A about this issue tells me it is not going to happen any time soon.

By the way, if you can point me to where you've seen it done I would appreciate it. I researched this few weeks ago but I couldn't find anyone who did it. I would love to merge my @me.com with my existing Apple ID.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

Well.. the statement is about the future. If it was going to happen they would have said you could. But Apple posting a specific Q&A about this issue tells me it is not going to happen any time soon.

By the way, if you can point me to where you've seen it done I would appreciate it. I researched this few weeks ago but I couldn't find anyone who did it. I would love to merge my @me.com with my existing Apple ID.

Me too. Show us please!
  • Reply 52 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'd like to finally drop all mention of @mac.com address and just stick with @me.com. It's a petty request so it's not like I'm going to even call them to ask.
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd like to finally drop all mention of @mac.com address and just stick with @me.com. It's a petty request so it's not like I'm going to even call them to ask.

I didn't think about merging both until Apple announced iCloud since I will keep my MM email without paying. I think Apple will confuse many people by giving them me.com emails without actually transferring their existing Apple IDs to this new account. It will be one more useless email and password to remember for many.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:

He wants to be reminded of an event two years before it happens for cripes sake and was going on a long annoying tirade against the software maker for not allowing it.

Fine. I'm a jerk (but he's an idiot).

At the very least, he fails to understand the concept of "the reminder."

You know, how he uses his calendar works for him. You may not agree with it, but then again you aren't the one using his calendar. So, to say he is an idiot is just blatantly disrespectful.

Now, since that is out of the way, there is no reason why they have a limit on the number of alerts, or of what span of time. It would be a simple 3 column tumbler. First column is the number (1 - 60), second column is the time span (seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years), and the third is either before or after. Yes, I know after seems like an odd element, but then again just because I won't use it doesn't mean Joe Bob from down the street won't either. I suggest it this way so you can maximize the usability, and minimize the code (in the PHP world, it would be strtotime("[+/-] [number] [time span]"); )
  • Reply 55 of 73
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

The keyboard still has no cursor keys? So much for Apple usability!

Something I've been wishing for from the start.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

You know, how he uses his calendar works for him. You may not agree with it, but then again you aren't the one using his calendar. So, to say he is an idiot is just blatantly disrespectful.

Now, since that is out of the way, there is no reason why they have a limit on the number of alerts, or of what span of time. It would be a simple 3 column tumbler. First column is the number (1 - 60), second column is the time span (seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years), and the third is either before or after. Yes, I know after seems like an odd element, but then again just because I won't use it doesn't mean Joe Bob from down the street won't either. I suggest it this way so you can maximize the usability, and minimize the code (in the PHP world, it would be strtotime("[+/-] [number] [time span]"); )

I agree.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Off topic a bit but with all these leaks does anyone confirm mobile Safari safe content in Reading Lists for offline reading?
  • Reply 58 of 73
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

No offence but this sounds ridiculous to me.

If that's really how you use a calendar, then you are 'doing it wrong' as they say. It's a calendar not a personal assistant, wife or manager.

Fortunately when apple bought siri they recognise that we all work differently.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jblenio View Post

Can we PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE have improved calendar Event Alert options? At the moment, the OS only enables me to set a Event alert at 2 days prior to the date of the event.

At the moment, the Event alert options are as follows:

5 minutes before

15 minutes before

30 minutes before

1 hour before

2 hours before

1 day before

2 days before

On date of event

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE add two more options:

1 week before

2 weeks before

1 month before

2 months before

My reasoning is as follows:

Let's say TODAY (June 25th, 2011) I found out about a band playing at the Shoreline Theater in Palo Alto, CA. That band is playing on August 20th, 2012, so the concert is over a year away. I would really like to go to that concert, but life gets really busy, I have a lot on my plate, so it's realistic it could slip my mind. If I am able to set an event alert a couple of weeks before, or a couple of months before, I will be able to pre plan well in advance, gather friends, buy tickets, etc. with plenty of time to spare.

However, If I'm only reminded of that event two days before (as current Even alerts options are set), I may miss getting a ticket in time or I might plan something else on the same day, having completely forgotten about that date, because I had remembered it over a year earlier.

Come on Apple. This is an easy addition to an updated OS.

Respectfully,

John

Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

This is a simple request. Saying he's "holding it wrong" makes you look like a jerk.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Doesn't MacOS calendar allow for more definable alerts, i recall having alerts out to a week or maybe more for important events.

I also find the two day max tedious, as well as the two alert max. Why have any max? I frequently want an alert on monday so I can advise work of the blocked out time later in the week. Then on the day, then 2hours before, then 30min.

What is so hard to understand? From a code perspective it is nothing. Alerts exist, repeating alerts exist. Drop the max and pop up a date scroller, it is all there

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it's a completely valid request. In fact I want to be reminded of things 25 and 50 years from now so I buried time capsules lined internally with Post-It Notes in my back yard. The 25 year time capsule contains just one Post-It that reads: "Don't forget to open the other time capsule in 25 years."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Of course, everyone has there little wish list for Apple software working the way they want, and each and every one of them feel that their wish is right and obvious and trivial to implement and there's no reason whatsoever for Apple to withhold this perfectly straightforward need.

And if Apple actually implemented every one of these easy fixes their software would look like Microsoft's, knee deep in a thicket of features and options and customization options and menus and preferences.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I find it odd that no one has pointed out that Windows Live Hotmail is now a default mail. About time, especially when it has more users than either Yahoo! Mail or Gmail.

With ActiveSync enabled by default now pushing email, contacts and calendars it is one of the better email implementations for iOS devices. Certainly the best free email alternative.