Third-gen iPad, 4G LTE iPhone 'more likely' to come from Apple in 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report attempts to pour some cold water on persistent rumors of a third-generation iPad or long-term evolution 4G iPhone launching this year, and instead cites sources who believe both devices will arrive in 2012.

Analyst Shaw Wu with Sterne Agee said in a note to investors on Monday that his checks with sources in the Asia-Pacific supply chain indicate that the new iPhone expected to be released this fall will be an "interim upgrade." Specifically, he expects the phone to sport a faster processor, better camera, and the new iOS 5 software.

That aligns with various reports that have characterized the fifth-generation iPhone as a relatively minor update, dubbed by some the "iPhone 4S."

As for an iPhone sporting high-speed LTE 4G data, Wu said he's heard from sources that such a device is "more likely" to arrive in 2012. That extra year will give the technology time to improve, as battery life in current 4G devices is poor, and also for LTE networks to expand.

In May, a report from the Far East claimed that Apple initially hoped to launch a 4G LTE iPhone this year, but that the company pushed back the device's launch to 2012. it was said that Apple had problems with the yield rates of chips supplied by Qualcomm.

Wu also said Monday that his sources have indicated a third-generation iPad is "more likely" to launch in 2012 as well. Various rumors this year have suggested that Apple could launch a new, high-end iPad with a high-resolution Retina Display in 2011.

While Wu believes there are reasons for Apple to introduce a so-called "iPad 3" this year -- namely growing competition -- he also noted that the iPad 2 has seen strong global demand, and inventory is still constrained. However, he did say that it is "possible" that a new iPad could ship later this year.

Just last week, Bloomberg said that Apple is currently testing a third-generation iPad with a high-resolution screen similar to the iPhone 4 Retina Display. It did not offer a potential timetable for release of such a device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    This sounds a lot more like what I would expect and for all of the right reasons. The one extra that I could see making it's way into the new iPhone 4S would be the larger screen. Obviously there is no mention of a change in screen size, but we can hope. This is in stark contrast to the thread from Sunday with someone predicting LTE, NFC, better battery life, and a partridge in a pear tree.

The only downside to me is that next year's iPhone sounds like it will really be an awesome device and I won't be upgrade eligible.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Now in the news... Apple to introduce a new iPhone and iPad every year... \

Honestly, is cluelessness a trait or an acquired skill??
  • Reply 3 of 28
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    In other words "Duh".

Actual worthwhile speculation comes from questions like:

1) Will the next iPhone be GSM/CDMA in a single phone with ability to switch between each?

2) Will the next iPhone be sold unlocked on day one?

3) Will the next iPad have LTE that is both AT&T and Verizon compatible?

4) Will the next iPad have a higher resolution (2048x1536) display?

Those are questions worth asking, not this fodder the press handles now. There's only ONE LTE chipset shipping in volume (MDM9600) and the battery life on it isn't that great. We won't get a different chip until sometime next year.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Apple must be pleased that no one knows anything about the next iPhone and when it will be released.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    so far we know that the iPad 3 may or may not come in 2011. the next iPhone may or may not be the iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 which may or may not come in 2011. there may or may not be a second cheap iPhone which may or may not be the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s and may or may not be released in 2011. and there may or may not be a new iPod touch in 2011 because it may or may not be repurposed as a contract free iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, or replaced by the cheaper iPhone 4. and finally, apple may or may not release a tv in 2011 or 2012.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Apple must be pleased that no one knows anything about the next iPhone and when it will be released.

Which is an indication nothing is due in the v near future. There is plenty speculation but before a 'real' launch it reaches fever pitch, usually with images. Many speculate that Apple drip feeds info prior to launch to feed the frenzy and gain unsurpassed editorial marketing for free.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Amen. I guess when one pulls it out of one's ass, they can guess anything.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Which is an indication nothing is due in the v near future. There is plenty speculation but before a 'real' launch it reaches fever pitch, usually with images. Many speculate that Apple drip feeds info prior to launch to feed the frenzy and gain unsurpassed editorial marketing for free.

Seems like a good strategy to me. If they aren't doing it intentionally, it sure looks like this is what is happening.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

...or they really locked things down due to the iPhone 4 pre-release fiasco.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Oh, so you mean Apple is standing by their quote of, "This is the year of the iPad 2?" Still surprised people think the iPad 3 is coming out this year. You all know Apple's formula by now.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    There should be a "Hall of Shame" for all analysts and anybody who speculates about Apple and gets it wrong. This way, everybody would know who to ignore in the future, because they would be designated as being full of shit and they would have been proven guilty of feeding bullshit in the past. It's like the boy who cried wolf. Nobody is going to give a crap about that pathetic boy when the real wolves eventually come to eat his lying ass.

There should be an options market where people can bet on future Apple products. All of the morons who think that an iPad 3 is coming in 2011 would put money on that, and people like me would put money on the opposite outcome. Money talks and bullshit walks.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Hopefully Apple won't mind waiting for my next upgrade until LTE is available.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

This sounds a lot more like what I would expect and for all of the right reasons. The one extra that I could see making it's way into the new iPhone 4S would be the larger screen. Obviously there is no mention of a change in screen size, but we can hope. This is in stark contrast to the thread from Sunday with someone predicting LTE, NFC, better battery life, and a partridge in a pear tree.

The only downside to me is that next year's iPhone sounds like it will really be an awesome device and I won't be upgrade eligible.

In my opinion-just an opinion, not have any knowledge or expertise-they may be bringing 4s and 5, two different phones in September, both with no changes in the appearance. 4S with the small screen for pay as you go, a cheaper phone. While 5 is with a larger screen with some updates. Only 2012 phone will come out with LTE,NFC and completely updated style of phone. May be worth waiting for.

I have been an ardent lover of Apple since I bought AppleII in 1980 and having bought Lisa, and the ist Laser printer made by Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by txplorer View Post

Hopefully Apple won't mind waiting for my next upgrade until LTE is available.

No, they won't mind a bit.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

Oh, so you mean Apple is standing by their quote of, "This is the year of the iPad 2?" Still surprised people think the iPad 3 is coming out this year. You all know Apple's formula by now.

I agree. The iPad 2 is still fresh and amazing. Even if there was a 3 waiting in the wings it would make little sense to launch it now. In many ways it plays into Apple's hands to wait until competing devices are on the market with new features. It builds expectations and buzz for what Apple is about to launch.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    A faster processor and better camera with iOS5? That doesn't sound like a line inducing offering and if it's true, I'll be waiting for the next version. That's not necessarily a bad thing by the way.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

In other words "Duh".

Actual worthwhile speculation comes from questions like:

1) Will the next iPhone be GSM/CDMA in a single phone with ability to switch between each?

2) Will the next iPhone be sold unlocked on day one?

3) Will the next iPad have LTE that is both AT&T and Verizon compatible?

4) Will the next iPad have a higher resolution (2048x1536) display?

Those are questions worth asking, not this fodder the press handles now. There's only ONE LTE chipset shipping in volume (MDM9600) and the battery life on it isn't that great. We won't get a different chip until sometime next year.

I'd like to add one to your list...

5) If not LTE, will the iPhone 5 support HSPA+?

If it does, and AT&T gets its act together here in Wilmington DE with data speeds (during the day in the city itself, I sometimes get 0 mbps), I'd be more than happy to wait out LTE...especially since AT&T is behind Verizon on its LTE roll-out and data will become more expensive on Verizon after they implement tiered pricing anyway.

Even if iPhone 5 doesn't have LTE, you can bet AT&T (and T Mobile if they get the iPhone this year) will advertise it as a 4g phone if it supports HSPA+.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

In other words "Duh"...

I can't stress this enough. Please can we stop with the LTE iPhone / High res iPad3 speculation and get back to real news.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There should be a "Hall of Shame" for all analysts and anybody who speculates about Apple and gets it wrong. This way, everybody would know who to ignore in the future, because they would be designated as being full of shit and they would have been proven guilty of feeding bullshit in the past. It's like the boy who cried wolf. Nobody is going to give a crap about that pathetic boy when the real wolves eventually come to eat his lying ass.

There should be an options market where people can bet on future Apple products. All of the morons who think that an iPad 3 is coming in 2011 would put money on that, and people like me would put money on the opposite outcome. Money talks and bullshit walks.

Doesn't Daring Fireball keep something like that? If no, he'd be the guy to do it. I enjoy his research.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Doesn't Daring Fireball keep something like that? If no, he'd be the guy to do it. I enjoy his research.

Yes. Gruber publishes a "claim chowder" from time to time to mock others. But then, early in the year, he too has predicted iPad 3 to be released in the fall.