Android device activations now exceed 500,000 per day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 228
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Interesting given that all other recent info has Android growth stalling relative to the rest of the market.

Stalling in smartphone market share can still mean rapid growth in absolute numbers.
  • Reply 22 of 228
    Bottom line you can go into any store and walk out with a free android phone and you can't with an iPhone. The masses also believe that the Android phones are the same as the iPhone. If you were to ask non-tech people who purchased an Android you would fine that those are there answers and price matters to them.

What would be better is how many high end android phones are being activated on a daily basis. Also, when was this data taken? I remember my stats class in Collage - Stats never lie and always lie.....

Bottom line 500,000 a day would equal 182,500,000 phones per year - Yeah right
  • Reply 23 of 228
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

It's like saying that Porsche is failing because it's selling fewer cars than Ford. Not everybody likes Porsches, and a Porsche isn't the right car for a large number of people - who might prefer something cheaper and more practical. Nevertheless, all Porsches are aimed at a relatively affluent market segment and turn a much higher profit margin than a Ford Focus does.

And Porsche got taken over by Volkswagen (after unsuccessfully trying to take over Volkswagen).
  • Reply 24 of 228
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That could just mean that everyone else is activating at the same or a higher rate so Android's percent of the market is standing still.

I think there is some truth to this.

I haven't seen a chart showing what share of each age group is buying the iPhone vs. Android phones but my guess, as some one else anecdotally pointed out, is that Android has a huge younger fan base... and that group definitely does turn over their phones much more rapidly than an older age group. How much that would effect the activation rate I'm not sure... and I'm also not sure if that actually is the case.
  • Reply 25 of 228
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It is absolutely true that activations can mean that people are replacing old android phones, and thus market share is not increasing as fast as you might think - but it is not going to iOS either.

Apple just needs more models, and cheaper models. I think they have pretty much won the tablet war, the phone war is there for the taking. Long term the Android model of not really getting devs any money is not going to win anything.
  • Reply 26 of 228
    "In a follow up tweet, Rubin admits that 400,000 of these activations are on $25 android phones in china."
  • Reply 27 of 228
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Are these Activations all new?

Because Android phones DO have numerous hardware faults compared to other phones.

i think my daughter is on her third Android in a year because of hardware issues.
  • Reply 28 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jplyman325 View Post

Bottom line you can go into any store and walk out with a free android phone and you can't with an iPhone. The masses also believe that the Android phones are the same as the iPhone. If you were to ask non-tech people who purchased an Android you would fine that those are there answers and price matters to them.

What would be better is how many high end android phones are being activated on a daily basis. Also, when was this data taken? I remember my stats class in Collage - Stats never lie and always lie.....

Bottom line 500,000 a day would equal 182,500,000 phones per year - Yeah right

However, he has only just reached that number so it isn't 90,000,000 so far this year. And some are replacing old phones.

Anyway Google have it easy - having no real fiduciary responsibility to report on actual numbers, unlike Apple, since they give it away - they can tweet their milestones. 500K a day was inevitable this year, in terms of growth since this time last year it is about 100%.
  • Reply 29 of 228
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulsdenton View Post

It may be an aberration, a random sample of one, but my grandsons, young teens and 'tweens, all want "cool" Android phones, as do their friends. They think my iPhone 4 is for old folks. Boring.

It may be wildly profitable to sell us (elders) phones, but it's not necessarily where the market is heading. Maybe Apple needs to get some "cool" back.

However, I am still looking forward to the iPhone 5!!

Funny... my kids and their friends all want iPads, but will settle for iPod Touches. They're too young for phones (kindergarten and younger), but are amassing quite a few iOS apps they like that they'll probably be able to transfer to an iPhone someday.
  • Reply 30 of 228
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Apple can't beat android in the number of activations. Android clearly won that war, even with iPhone 3GS covering the low end of the market. The biggest problem I see is that apple came off a bit arrogant in antenna gate, and google got a bit of the underdog status that apple had when they released the iPhone.

I like iOS, I think its the easiest OS to use, most capable and has the best backup system for when I migrate phones or screw something up while tinkering. However most people don't care, and will buy a phone because it comes in pink or has a 4.5 inch screen, and since most people don't care which company makes the phone it is more likely then not an android.
  • Reply 31 of 228
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

They do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

As for the comments that "Apple doesn't care about this" -- they sure do. That's exactly why the iPhone 4S is coming out in September.

Of course Apple 'cares about' profits -- extreme statements here are clearly silly. I think the main point that people are making here is that Apple cares less about market share than it does profits. That is simply a fact. All you have to do is look at its history.

Btw, iPhone 4S is as much about profits as it's market share -- unless Apple continues to come up with new models, it cannot command the price premium and hence, maintain profit margin (costs cannot be pushed down too much without affecting quality, beyond a certain point).
  • Reply 32 of 228
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And Porsche got taken over by Volkswagen (after unsuccessfully trying to take over Volkswagen).

I don't think Apple is in danger of being taken over any time soon.
  • Reply 33 of 228
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Might "w/w" mean "week-over-week" instead of "worldwide?" it would make more sense, because rate of growth means nothing without establishing a timeframe.
  • Reply 34 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course Apple 'cares about' profits -- extreme statements here are clearly silly. I think the main point that people are making here is that Apple cares less about market share than it does profits. That is simply a fact. All you have to do is look at its history.

No it is NOT a fact. It is nonsense posted continuously on these boards, batted away with evidence, and then somebody else reposts is. On stage Jobs never mentions profit: What he and Apple do is talk about market share all the time Or, rather, they talk about it when they are winning or doing well. Jobs comes on stage and gives the figures. There are all kind of examples of this. They also responded to Rubin last year.

We also have Cook on record saying that he was unwilling to cede any market ( in particular the pre-paid) market. And that the iPhone was not for the rich.

The exception, beccause they have to, is in conference calls. They dont push margins even there. they generally guide for lower margins, and people ignore them.

Lets kill that myth. Apple want to dominate Tablets, and they want to regain momentum in phones.
  • Reply 35 of 228
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulsdenton View Post

It may be an aberration, a random sample of one, but my grandsons, young teens and 'tweens, all want "cool" Android phones, as do their friends. They think my iPhone 4 is for old folks. Boring.

It may be wildly profitable to sell us (elders) phones, but it's not necessarily where the market is heading. Maybe Apple needs to get some "cool" back.

However, I am still looking forward to the iPhone 5!!

It is not an Aberration. My son is in secondary level education - in a different country to you i would guess. I have asked him about iPhones at school and he thinks there are perhaps three in the entire student population, only one of which is an iP4, and Android phones are spreading like wildfire. Samsung's Europa being particularly popular.
  • Reply 36 of 228
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That says it all. It's all you need to know.

Moving right along then . . .

Why did you highlight the manufacturer's ability to have custom ui?

Listen you ignoramus, it's not at all what you think it is. Imagine having a custom launcher, and some themes.

I can literally strip everything Samsung does for the ui, and make my own. That's all that is.
  • Reply 37 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Apple can't beat android in the number of activations. Android clearly won that war, even with iPhone 3GS covering the low end of the market. The biggest problem I see is that apple came off a bit arrogant in antenna gate, and google got a bit of the underdog status that apple had when they released the iPhone.

Sure they can. In Australia - the only country in the world where the phone market is approx. equal to the smart phone market, the iPhone is 40% of all phone sales. It gained this quarter. Australia is a rich country. In Europe the collapse of Nokia will give it an opportunity but it is not available for about 100M european subscribers ( source Asymco). and not available pre-paid losing about 70% of the potential world market ( source: asymco). Then when FoxConn comes online in Brazil, it has a chance in South America - dominated by Nokia at the moment.

Quote:

I like iOS, I think its the easiest OS to use, most capable and has the best backup system for when I migrate phones or screw something up while tinkering. However most people don't care, and will buy a phone because it comes in pink or has a 4.5 inch screen, and since most people don't care which company makes the phone it is more likely then not an android.

Actually iOs is pretty sticky, so people do care. Time to act to get people stuck, is now.
  • Reply 38 of 228
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I don't think Apple is in danger of being taken over any time soon.

Not any time soon, but all it takes is a few morons after Jobs is gone to ruin Apple like they did before
  • Reply 39 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The majority of people that have experience using an iOS device (such as an iPod Touch) will clearly have a preference. Also, Apple does not need to command the largest market share to be wildly successful. They are selling their devices at a substantially higher margin. And as a follow up to that....the real play is the delivery of media to the devices, they appear to have a much more coherent long-term strategy as far as that is concerned!
  • Reply 40 of 228
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Android just has tremendous reach, compared to the iPhone. As Asymco pointed out, the iPhone currently is inaccessible to over 90% of the addressable market (because such a large percentage is pre-paid where Apple does not compete at all, and competes for only about 50-75% of the post-paid market).

Yeah, but you forget that us prepaid users don't spend much money. And we don't like commitment. (Not to a telephone company that is). And we buy cheap handsets. Cause we're cheap