Comments

• Reply 41 of 228
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 42 of 228
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

It is not an Aberration. My son is in secondary level education - in a different country to you i would guess. I have asked him about iPhones at school and he thinks there are perhaps three in the entire student population, only one of which is an iP4, and Android phones are spreading like wildfire. Samsung's Europa being particularly popular.

Ireland is another country where iOS dominates for now. This teenage thing is, I suspect, is price related. That said, teenagers do like to be different from each other.

Android isnt going away, but Apple have plenty of firepower left.
  • Reply 43 of 228
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Interesting given that all other recent info has Android growth stalling relative to the rest of the market.

That was specifically US share, which was related to Apple finally cracking Verizon and being able to serve the vast pent up demand by Verizon users for iPhone.

Androids growth in the developing world is such that their worldwide share of smartphones is still rising strongly.
  • Reply 44 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 45 of 228
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    This is interesting. When Android first starting shipping on phones it was clear that the brand "Android" was the key thing. People are talking about the software which is a shift in the view on phones, before it was always the brand of the phone except for a few technical users. What would worry me as a hardware vendor is that the Android brand is the focus point, not who makes the phone. People own an Android phone versus an iPhone. That is a key difference here and adds to the value of Apple as a company.
  • Reply 46 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Why did you highlight the manufacturer's ability to have custom ui?

Listen you ignoramus, it's not at all what you think it is. Imagine having a custom launcher, and some themes.

I can literally strip everything Samsung does for the ui, and make my own. That's all that is.

Sure, but fragmentation on Android is very real indeed - Hulu launched their premium service on Android recently - on 6 handsets.
  • Reply 47 of 228
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    In my country, Romania, the average income is 200-300 Euros monthly. An iPhone is 200 Euro with a 29 Euro for 2 year contract. At the same time, An LG Optimus One with Android 2.1 is 3 Euro with a 16 Euro for 2 year contract. Guess what people buy?
  • Reply 48 of 228
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

This really is an inane comparison. You're comparing an OS which runs on a small range of premium-priced devices with an OS which runs on a vast range of phones. . .

The comparison was widely mentioned by Apple fans a couple years back. It only became "inane" after Android surpassed Apple's iOS Phone market share much faster than most anticipated.
  • Reply 49 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 50 of 228
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    I read that Jobs adopted a long term business strategy and that helps a lot. So while everyone, sans Apple, in the cell phone game are dropping new devices like every other week Apple is playing it slow. That is what you call self preservation.

I know consumer tech. I was there when the characters in hand held games were nothing but blips.

Iphone is amazing.

But if you want to trick out a freaking HTC Evo 4G that has neither ddr3 ram or fast frontside bus with a custom rom, be my guess.
  • Reply 51 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Unless the antipodes are an aberrant anomaly, looks like an uphill battle - from this morning's AU news:

Tablet Market Crashes 34% Big Loser Is Apple & Samsung

2nd Q 2011 is the iPad-2 quarter and we know that Apple has had tremendous backlogs for most of that time. It's entirely possible that sales in Australia have been horribly supply constrained, partly by the Japanese tsunami in March.

I really wouldn't read too much into QoQ numbers anyway, but especially not in a quarter where there were acknowledged problems in meeting demand.
  • Reply 52 of 228
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Because Android phones DO have numerous hardware faults compared to other phones.

Can you provide som link to this numbers?
  • Reply 53 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Might "w/w" mean "week-over-week" instead of "worldwide?" it would make more sense, because rate of growth means nothing without establishing a timeframe.

My assumption as well.
  • Reply 54 of 228
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    And countless landfills are bracing themselves...
  • Reply 55 of 228
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Unless the antipodes are an aberrant anomaly, looks like an uphill battle - from this morning's AU news:

Tablet Market Crashes 34% Big Loser Is Apple & Samsung

http://smarthouse.com.au/Home_Office...blets/C7L4M3F7

The US picture may be more telling:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...acing.tablets/

Whats the old adage. Lies, statistics, and nonsense posted by MacRulez. In postings about the iPhone, we get a link to a fall off in Tablets in CQ1 ( we are now in CQ3) precisely because australians were waiting for the iPad 2.

The link I was referencing, new and up to date, was

http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/27/idc-no...-in-australia/

IDC eating crow once again..

“We expected Symbian to decline steadily throughout 2011, however the pace of decline has exceeded all expectations, with the majority of would-be Symbian buyers heading to Apple,” Mr Novosel said. Apple, meanwhile, is riding high with 31.4 per cent of the overall mobile phone market share in Q1, up from 18.8 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2010, and close to 40 per cent of the smartphone market. IDC said Apple had become the top mobile device vendor in Australia for the first time, with nearly one third market share. Despite a 5 per cent year-on-year dip in the mobile phone market, iPhone shipments had soared 13 per cent in a quarter.

Get over the eReader fetish. They are not tablets, and unrelated to any debate about iOS vs the rest. In fact both markets overlap, I am not alone in having an iPad and a kindle.
  • Reply 56 of 228
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Funny... my kids and their friends all want iPads, but will settle for iPod Touches. They're too young for phones (kindergarten and younger), but are amassing quite a few iOS apps they like that they'll probably be able to transfer to an iPhone someday.

I wouldn't rule out anything. I have a Mac and an Apple TV. I use a Nexus One. And if I get a tablet it'll probably be an iPad. Not everybody gets caught up in the ecosystem. Right tool for the right job. And as more and more functionality migrates to the web (through web apps), it's becoming easier to be device agnostic. If you use GMail and Google Docs, would it matter whether you are on an iPad or Android tablet?
  • Reply 57 of 228
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Can you provide som link to this numbers?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387493,00.asp

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...w=1280&bih=685
  • Reply 58 of 228
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Looking at the recent global traffic it doesn't appear that Android-based tablets are the reason.

2) Based on suspect iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and AppleTV sales who many activations is Apple getting these days?
  • Reply 59 of 228
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Apple is a profit, not market share driven company. They don't care one iota about numbers like this.

Unless they are in the lead in which case they never miss an opportunity to remind you of that fact.
  • Reply 60 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Looking at the recent global traffic it doesn't appear that Android-based tablets are the reason.

2) Based on suspect iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad and AppleTV sales who many activations is Apple getting these days?

Somewhere around 300k per day in the last quarter (assuming 50% of iPods are touches), though it spikes around the christmas quarter.