VLC and DVD import to iTunes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to import my DVD of The Talented mr Ripley to iTunes. It's my favourite film. I've tried to use VLC before then using Handbrake. VLC opens the film in a Quicktime window and if I then try and use Handbrake to convert it to an MP4 file and then import to iTunes it seems to import but is nowhere visible in my iTunes library. What am I doing wrong? I would just buy it through iTunes Store but it's not available

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What are you doing wrong? You're doing it BACKWARDS.

Just pop the disc in and open HandBrake. Do it all there. You don't need to even use VLC at all.

And there's absolutely no reason for you to buy it in iTunes when you already own the disc. Yes, breaking the encryption is illegal. You're also legally allowed to have a backup copy of any media you have, so rip every single disc you own; it's perfectly fine. Don't rip rentals. That's whorish.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What are you doing wrong? You're doing it BACKWARDS.

Just pop the disc in and open HandBrake. Do it all there. You don't need to even use VLC at all.

And there's absolutely no reason for you to buy it in iTunes when you already own the disc. Yes, breaking the encryption is illegal. You're also legally allowed to have a backup copy of any media you have, so rip every single disc you own; it's perfectly fine. Don't rip rentals. That's whorish.

Thanks although I think it in just HandBrake with a similar result. Will try again...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You were right - many thanks. If I'd had your help before I could have watched it again during a transatlantic flight. Still, next time. Thanks again.