Apple releases $49 Thunderbolt cable, offers external RAID systems

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Call me when there is a Thumb Drive / iPhone / Digital Camera that can use thunderbolt and a cable is $2. Until then it is still a proof of concept.
  • Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wow, that is sad.

I have to assume a touch of sarcasm, I don't think its sad, or regrettable, merely inconvenient
  • Reply 23 of 80
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just let me sneak in this pic one last time:

I was just going ask if anyone knew which drives Promise uses in these RAIDs. Is that it?
  • Reply 24 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Not a bad price at $999 for the four bay system with 4TB total. Though I will have to know about the quality, peer usage and fan noise before buying one.

2) I wonder if this means Apple won't be coming out with their own home server.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Not a bad price at $999 for the four bay system with 4TB total. Though I will have to know about the quality, peer usage and fan noise before buying one.

2) I wonder if this means Apple won't be coming out with their own home server.

I just read the press release at:

http://www.promise.com/news_room/new...global&rsn=847

Sporting a new enclosure design, an 80Plus power supply and an active fan management, system noise is never an issue making Pegasus ideal for desktop, small office environments or any room in the home

"Ultra Quiet and Eco-Smart"
  • Reply 26 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I just read the press release at:

http://www.promise.com/news_room/new...global&rsn=847

Sporting a new enclosure design, an 80Plus power supply and an active fan management, system noise is never an issue making Pegasus ideal for desktop, small office environments or any room in the home

"Ultra Quiet and Eco-Smart"

Thanks for allowing me to be lazy. I may just get one of these once I get a Mac with TB.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    pullmanpullman Posts: 10member

It'll take a while before TB becomes useful for consumers, it seems.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    sggincsgginc Posts: 13member
    Quote:

I was just going ask if anyone knew which drives Promise uses in these RAIDs. Is that it?

I?ve searched the websites and spec sheet.

One place I read (and now can?t find) indicated they are SATA II.

This must be wrong.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgginc View Post

This must be wrong.

SATA II makes sense. Why do you think it's wrong? Don't forget that it's only been recently that even NAND-based drives (SSDs) have been able to take advantage of SATA III.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Quote:

I’ve searched the websites and spec sheet.

One place I read (and now can’t find) indicated they are SATA II.

This must be wrong.

The specs sheet on Promise's web site says the R4 and R6 are good for SATA II and SATA III although the manual only mentions SATA I and II. Calling Promise should get that little issue resolved.

What's interesting about the R4 and R6 is that they are Thunderbolt ONLY solutions...no USB,

Firewire or eSATA. The only other port is a serial connection used for UPS monitoring. I just read the manual and it looks like it's mostly based on the features of Promise's earlier products (RAID 0-10), predictive monitoring for bad drives, etc. I'm an old Drobo customer so something like this won't have the flexibility of those products in increasing the array size without having to rebuild the whole thing, but the data throughput for this compared to what I'm using now is obscene....more like a factor of 10-15 compared to my old unit. That will get the attention of a lot of professionals. Even better, the thing is shipping now...if you have $1400-$2000 burning in your pocket, you can have one tomorrow. Of course, neither drive actually comes with a Thunderbolt cable...make sure you order that from Apple at the same time.

Lastly, the Thunderbolt breakout box for Fibre-channel that they announced solves a big problem with video shops that have large fiber channel arrays but can't directly connect them with anything less than a Mac Pro. Now you can buy a quad-core i7 27" iMac or MacBook Pro and hook it up to the fibre channel array without any additional software. Pretty cool. Hopefully it will be priced right so that's it's a no-brainer for those customers.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    sggincsgginc Posts: 13member
    Quote:

SATA II makes sense. Why do you think it's wrong? Don't forget that it's only been recently that even NAND-based drives (SSDs) have been able to take advantage of SATA III.

If you want to put 6G SSDs in there will it support SATA III?

I guess as long as it supports SATA III it?s OK for SATA II drives.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Not in the market for Thunderbolt yet...but I am glad so many are cause the early adopters that will spend $50 on a cable pay the R and D costs for guys like me who cant quite afford to be on the cutting edge...that said, even for cutting edge tech that cable should be no more than $25...Apple must model their cable business after monster...not a bad plan for stock holders

OK ... help me out here. You like cutting edge "stuff" .... but can't/ don't want to spend $50.00 on a product ..... but have "the plan" for Apple on how to price their products ??? You know, it MAY be time to realize you might not be their "desired demographic" ... just sayin' ....
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:

This must be wrong.

I'm in the market for a new rack mounted external RAID but it is for a Linux server so I'm thinking it might be awhile before Thunderbolt is available for Linux. I like the OWC rack enclosure but like every one else they don't want to publish which drives go into the systems. They are listed as 'high quality' or 'enterprise quality'.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

We need a breakout box that has FW and USB ports. Stash all the peripherals in a corner and and just have a single cable going back to my Mac. Is anyone working on such a device?

This. Not to mention USB 3.0 already won, so we need this kind of box so we can start using the low prices USB 3.0 external drives. Thunderbolt is nice but its going to be another firewire. I bought upgradable seagate USB drives just in case they come up with a thunderbold adapter like before I died of old age or USB 4.0 is out. In the meantime i can used firewire.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Thunderbolt is nice but its going to be another firewire.

Define and defense your position.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:

I'm in the market for a new rack mounted external RAID but it is for a Linux server so I'm thinking it might be awhile before Thunderbolt is available for Linux. I like the OWC rack enclosure but like every one else they don't want to publish which drives go into the systems. They are listed as 'high quality' or 'enterprise quality'.

The reason is pretty simple. It's too much trouble to bother certifying every specific drive that you could use out there with a market that quickly changes like hard drives. These things are commodities anyway. Only in the biggest data center applications do vendors care which drives go into these things. Yes, there are some issues occasionally...the earliest 1.5 TB drives were problematic in RAIDs and not every older RAID supports advanced formatting (4K blocks). But most of the time, if they mean "enterprise quality", it means find you a 7200 RPM drive from a major vendor that you like and proceed.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Define and defense your position.

You say that as though you expect people who say this to have a legitimate, coherent reason for saying it.
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This. Not to mention USB 3.0 already won, so we need this kind of box so we can start using the low prices USB 3.0 external drives. Thunderbolt is nice but its going to be another firewire. I bought upgradable seagate USB drives just in case they come up with a thunderbold adapter like before I died of old age or USB 4.0 is out. In the meantime i can used firewire.

I'm sure somebody is working on a TB->USB 3.0 solution as we speak. Somehow I doubt the first generations of such a product will have Firewire since Firewire ports are still found on every shipping Mac (save the MacBook Airs and the white Macbook). A Firewire version would be invaluable the day that Apple stops providing the port on mainstream Macs (iMacs, Macbook Pros, Mac Pros). There are still a lot of people with Firewire external storage and Firewire-based Pro devices so it may be a while before that happens. But this is Apple we're talking about as any Final Cut Pro user would remind me of.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Call me when there is a Thumb Drive / iPhone / Digital Camera that can use thunderbolt and a cable is $2. Until then it is still a proof of concept.

So with your definition, FW and eSATA are also proof-of-concept.

I'll consider Thunerbolt mainstream once there are single-machanism drives that have the connection. Sure, a single drive mechanism doesn't need the bandwidth, but once you can daisy-chain drives together on Thunerbolt, Firewire takes a big step closer to obsolescence.

Then a Thunerbolt-FW adaptor takes care of the other, less common uses of FW (scanners, audio gear, etc), and Apple starts shipping computers with only Tunderbolt and USB. USB will likely always have a price advantage for things like keyboards, mice, and even the smaller thumb drives. So I don't see USB being dropped anytime soon.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

The reason is pretty simple. It's too much trouble to bother certifying every specific drive that you could use out there with a market that quickly changes like hard drives. These things are commodities anyway. Only in the biggest data center applications do vendors care which drives go into these things. Yes, there are some issues occasionally...the earliest 1.5 TB drives were problematic in RAIDs and not every older RAID supports advanced formatting (4K blocks). But most of the time, if they mean "enterprise quality", it means find you a 7200 RPM drive from a major vendor that you like and proceed.

I just want to know since we will be buying replacement drives for swapping at the same time, and they all need to match.