Apple releases $49 Thunderbolt cable, offers external RAID systems

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If it weren't for Promise leaving out the cable, this wouldn't be necessary. Most external drives include the data cable. These Promise devices are the first I've seen to leave out the data cable.

Wonder if apple is giving them like $5/unit to keep it out...I would if I were trying to sell Apple brand interface cables that aren't available widely from other vendors.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgginc View Post

Then a Thunerbolt-FW adaptor takes care of the other, less common uses of FW (scanners, audio gear, etc), and Apple starts shipping computers with only Tunderbolt and USB. USB will likely always have a price advantage for things like keyboards, mice, and even the smaller thumb drives. So I don't see USB being dropped anytime soon.

I don't think Thunderbolt proponents are saying that USB will be dropped. There is no point for human interface devices to be directly on a Thunderbolt bus, except maybe through a hub adapter. I'm guessing that thumb drives won't be certified because devices are supposed to have a pass-through to be a legit Thunderbolt device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I have to assume a touch of sarcasm, I don't think its sad, or regrettable, merely inconvenient

More or less. I don't understand how the store's search engine can perform so poorly at indexing its products, especially when Apple is starting to ramp up a much more ambitious internet platform soon. I've seen better web store indexing from much lower profile web stores. Also, there have been times that I didn't think Apple sold an item because it didn't show on a search within the store, when it was the search utility that didn't index the store properly.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    sggincsgginc Posts: 13member
    Quote:

More or less. I don't understand how the store's search engine can perform so poorly at indexing its products, especially when Apple is starting to ramp up a much more ambitious internet platform soon. I've seen better web store indexing from much lower profile web stores. Also, there have been times that I didn't think Apple sold an item because it didn't show on a search within the store, when it was the search utility that didn't index the store properly.

The only way to see an Apple part number is to add it to your cart then view the cart.

Lame!
  • Reply 44 of 80
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Wonder if apple is giving them like $5/unit to keep it out...I would if I were trying to sell Apple brand interface cables that aren't available widely from other vendors.

Unlikely. This isn't 1997...Apple doesn't need the money that badly. More likely Apple is the only vendor that actually has completed cables manufactured right now and rather than hold up shipment of a $1400-$2000 box for a $50 cable, they are just relying on the customer to buy it through Apple. As cable manufacturers catch up, it's likely you'll see them and other vendors include them like they do Firewire and USB cables now.
  • Reply 45 of 80
    ahrubikahrubik Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Not in the market for Thunderbolt yet...but I am glad so many are cause the early adopters that will spend $50 on a cable pay the R and D costs for guys like me who cant quite afford to be on the cutting edge...that said, even for cutting edge tech that cable should be no more than $25...Apple must model their cable business after monster...not a bad plan for stock holders

$50 for an active cable isn't too bad.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Define and defense your position.

Price. Not saying thunderbolt wont work, it will for devices that neally needs it. But it wont be mainstream because of prices. USB 3.0 is backward compatiple AND cheap and still very fast.

IF seagates come up with a Thunderbold adapter, I will be more than curious to see how much it cost. Currently firewire adapters are 25$. imo you are better off buying an USB 3.0 drive and get the firewire adapter for 25$ than buying a seagate "mac" drive which are 40% more expensive and only include USB 2.0 and firewire adapters. With the USB 3.0 drive, you get USB 2.0/3.0 and for 25$ a firewire adapter, for a total cost that less expensive than a "mac" drive. And you will be able to upgrade to thunderbold when the adapter comes out.

FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Upgrade Cable:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/accessories
  • Reply 47 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Price. Not saying thunderbolt wont work, it will for devices that neally needs it. But it wont be mainstream because of prices.

Licensing is free.

Quote:

buying a seagate "mac" drive

Complete scam. They need sued for that. This isn't even a valid point.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    twelvetwelve Posts: 49member
    Two points:

1. A Mac Mini, strapped to one of these boxes ***is*** your Mac Pro.

2. Thunderbolt is effectively 4 10Gbps channels. The DisplayPort data is not treated specially compared to non-DisplayPort data, and it is not mandatory that you have an external monitor on the cable. Has anyone priced a dual-port 10Gbps NIC lately? They aren't exactly cheap. EVERY Thunderbolt Mac now has the equivalent of a dual-port 10Gbps NIC built in.

Search Amazon for "2CH 10GB Pcie Copper Nic Oneconnect No Cables" and you'll see it priced at $536.73. And the cables? $130 for each channel. Remember that Thunderbolt is, effectively TWO channels of 10GbE. Apple is ***subsidizing*** the cable price, not trying to rip anyone off!

Are you really complaining about a $50 cable? Try $260. Perhaps you need to be in the industry to realize how mind-boggling and bleeding edge Thunderbolt is!

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_li...3-_-2962866891
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

$50 for an active cable isn't too bad.

What is active about it? It's not the kind of TB cable that has fiber optics and optical to electrical conversion in it.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Your feeling is wrong. The Apple Store clearly lists the PROMISE VTrak x30 Series (16x 2TB SATA) 3U RAID Subsystem at $19,999.00. The mistake in the placement of the decimal point was made by AppleInsider, not Apple.

The decimal point was in the correct place; it's the comma that wasn't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsteph View Post

$50.00 for a 6ft cable? And I thought Monster had a monopoly on such things.

No? just a patent! Apple will have to license, or get sued.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

Are you really complaining about a $50 cable? Try $260. Perhaps you need to be in the industry to realize how mind-boggling and bleeding edge Thunderbolt is!

Perhaps so.

But for someone only interested in connecting an external monitor, or HD, $50 is pricy. HDMI and FireWire cables are dirt cheap these days.

For thunderbolt to be successful with the masses, prices need to come down.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Thunderbolt Target mode?

Keanu sez WHOA!
  • Reply 53 of 80
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    All Apple, Monster et al are doing is charging what the market will bear, exploiting the ignorant, impatient and those who simply have too much money to care whether they pay $2 or $200 for a cable.

For now Thunderbolt peripherals are either high end or ultra high end. Once there are consumer Thunderbolt devices there will have to be consumer priced cables to connect them.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member
    Target disk mode over TB is blazing fast! Has anyone heard whether you can do IP over TB like you can with FW?
  • Reply 55 of 80
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Twelve View Post

Two points:

1. A Mac Mini, strapped to one of these boxes ***is*** your Mac Pro.

I liked everything you said except this. Sure, a Mac Mini w/Thunderbolt is way cool. Upgrade it to Sandy Bridge and toss in some quad core processors as a BTO option and you have a modern day SE/30. But I still think most pros wouldn't give up 6-12 cores of Xeon badness, not to mention the data throughout of that system.

A smaller Mac Pro would be pretty cool though. After all, how many PCI slots do you really need these days?
  • Reply 56 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

All Apple, Monster et al are doing is charging what the market will bear, exploiting the ignorant, impatient and those who simply have too much money to care whether they pay $2 or $200 for a cable.

No, that's what Monster is doing. Apple is selling the very first cable of a spec that just came out. USB cables used to be that expensive.
  • Reply 57 of 80
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    While I think $49 for a 6' Thunderbolt cable is ridiculous, I also think that Apple is pricing them that way because they can. The prices will come down when more accessory companies make and sell their own, and when peripheral makers include them in the box. Right now it's the scarcity that's letting Apple get away with the high price. Though even after others get in the game, it's highly likely that Apple will still charge "premium" prices.

I remember back when Apple had their extended keyboard for something like $129, while you could buy a fully functional third party keyboard for $29 or even less.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Thunderbolt Target mode?

That's very nice, though very forward-looking. I can see using that when I replace a Mac that I still haven't bought yet. Given how often I've needed to upgrade lately, that could easily be six years.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    jkgmjkgm Posts: 22member
    Quote:

That's very nice, though very forward-looking. I can see using that when I replace a Mac that I still haven't bought yet. Given how often I've needed to upgrade lately, that could easily be six years.

Target disk mode is actually quite useful as a support tool in enterprise and education environments. Just because you won't use it doesn't mean it's useless.
  • Reply 60 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkgm View Post

Target disk mode is actually quite useful as a support tool in enterprise and education environments. Just because you won't use it doesn't mean it's useless.

Just to be clear, I didn't say I won't use it and I didn't say it was useless. But it is nice to hear that it has more immediate uses, though I'd like to hear more about it. I usually just boot from an external hard drive for my own tech support. On a given computer of mine, target disk mode is used two or three times in the entire life of the machine.