Android device activations now exceed 500,000 per day

Comments

• Reply 161 of 228
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Besides 15+ years of NeXT/OS X experience my last 12 years of Debian Linux [on a daily basis] has me questioning the value you place on all of these ideas.

In 15+ years of NeXT/OS X development you never learnt to read? I clearly showed I was quoting and provided a link to the source. Also you seemed to fail to notice that the post wasn't about mobile handset OSes but embedded system OSes in general - a much larger space.
  • Reply 162 of 228
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

In 15+ years of NeXT/OS X development you never learnt to read? I clearly showed I was quoting and provided a link to the source. Also you seemed to fail to notice that the post wasn't about mobile handset OSes but embedded system OSes in general - a much larger space.

This brings up the question of ... is a mobile OS really an embedded OS? Just because an embedded OS like QNX (an RTOS at that) can be ported to become a mobile OS does not mean the two are synonymous. An embedded computer generally has a dedicated application, and user interaction is not critical if not outright unnecessary in some cases. A mobile system is really becoming a general purpose computer.

But this is probably a different topic for a different day.
  • Reply 163 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This brings up the question of ... is a mobile OS really an embedded OS?

Well they're definitely not identical, but mobile could be a subset of embedded. Hmm, actually one could argue that a mobile system is a general purpose OS grafted onto an embedded system, maybe it's the intersection of the two sets.
  • Reply 164 of 228
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

It may have started out that way but it seems to have increasingly become an ideological position to avoid licensing whole systems, and especially never to license their core TMs. Remember how much crap they caught for the ROKR? Remember the HP iPods? It would have to be something really compelling to get Apple interested in licensing an OS or co-branding a consumer product again.

I don't disagree with you. But I don't think asdasd is wrong either. For example, Apple could easily team up with BMW to launch a version of iDrive (or Audi MMI, M-B Command APS, or Lexus Remote Touch, etc.) that looks and feels like an Apple product which would be an infotainment system that essentially ran off the driver's iPhone, with an NFC chip in the phone that would be used as the key. iFanboy option?

Could Apple do something like this? Yes. (with some shortfalls...Apple has no native solution for navigation).

Would Apple do something like this? Probably not. I don't see what the incentive is, for Apple.

Could BMW take Android and whip up its own version of iDrive based on Android? Yes.

Would they do it? Maybe. And that's what I was talking about. It's very conceivable that many a car company might use Android for its infotainment systems and come up with apps that use NFC to lock/unlock/start the car. Imagine, just tethering your phone and then having all your contacts, using Google Maps Navigation in the front, while the kids watch movies on the drop-down screen on Netflix. The big advantage for car companies is the low cost of development (they don't have to fiddle with the base OS and its free). And a high degree of customization available (no car company wants its infotainment system to look like the same as another company's).

And that's just one example. In-flight entertainment is another obvious example. Touchscreen info displays in stores, bus depots, etc. Customized tablets (like the Nook Colour) specifically for certain education users (say a specific school board). Etc. When news comes out like this, everybody focuses on phones or tablets, and that's natural. Android, has, however, far more potential than that as an open platform. I would suggest that most companies would be glad to ditch (or at least significantly scale back) their proprietary software systems for non core functions. For example, I'll bet it's a pain in the six for the car company's to each develop and manage their own operating systems for infotainment centres when they could easily skin Android and pull off the same functions and even appearance in most cases.

This is neither here nor there for Apple. Just that people have to realize that iOS and Android will have to learn to play nicely together. And that marketshare growth for Android is not a threat to Apple....because there's a lot of things Android can and probably will do that Apple wouldn't bother with.
  • Reply 165 of 228
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    I don't follow news about smartphone market share very closely but weren't there just some stories out there about Android having its first drop in market share? I'm thinking Mr. Ruben's comment is just a preemptive strike against that story evolving into a "Is Google in trouble?" narrative. That means, it's more marketing than hard data and probably inflated in every conceivable way. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about what it means.
  • Reply 166 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

I don't follow news about smartphone market share very closely but weren't there just some stories out there about Android having its first drop in market share? I'm thinking Mr. Ruben's comment is just a preemptive strike against that story evolving into a "Is Google in trouble?" narrative. That means, it's more marketing than hard data and probably inflated in every conceivable way. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about what it means.

You're getting mixed up - the Android marketshare drop was a US only phenomenon, and specifically linked to Verizon finally getting an iPhone. Outside the US Android continued to gain share so it's entirely possible that these figures are correct, but it's also quite likely that much of this growth is low margin phones in developing nations.

I'm sure Google always planned on crowing when they hit 500k in a day.
  • Reply 167 of 228
    Back in 2007 I specifically remember Mr.Jobs saying that All he wants is 10% of the mobile market.

Now we have a rat race

Send from my iPad
  • Reply 168 of 228
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

You're getting mixed up - the Android marketshare drop was a US only phenomenon, and specifically linked to Verizon finally getting an iPhone. Outside the US Android continued to gain share so it's entirely possible that these figures are correct, but it's also quite likely that much of this growth is low margin phones in developing nations.

I'm sure Google always planned on crowing when they hit 500k in a day.

You're missing my point though. I'm not actually arguing the specifics or validity of the numbers being thrown around (and frankly, I don't really care myself.) My point is that there were a few stories about a week ago about Android market share dropping which (a quick search confirmed) have spread all over the place now. I think Ruben's tweet is more a tactic to stem any "Android is dying" narratives.

Go do a Google News search for "android market share" and you can see what I'm talking about. Right at the top we have a whole lot of news sites rushing to parrot Ruben's tweet and just below that, a bunch of stories about Android market share drop. Google's marketing people are intentionally disrupting that via Mr. Ruben's tweet.

Smart move, to be honest. Apple could actually learn something from that.
  • Reply 169 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

This is neither here nor there for Apple. Just that people have to realize that iOS and Android will have to learn to play nicely together. And that marketshare growth for Android is not a threat to Apple....because there's a lot of things Android can and probably will do that Apple wouldn't bother with.

It depends on what you mean by Android. If you mean something derived from Android, then perhaps, but if you mean actual certified Android then probably not. Google simply have no interest in officially supporting Android in a context where people won't be searching on Google, using Google's maps or looking at Google's adverts.

Take cars - how many people really want a mobile phone, a data sim in their tablet/laptop and a data sim in their car? That's a LOT of carrier payments, and the car is pretty much redundant if you have a tablet or laptop. If in-car is offline then it's hard to see what Android is bringing to it over say a non real time Linux distro with lower licensing fees. Bringing in-car online is hard to justify if all it's going to give you is the worlds most expensive GPS-nav. Oh over in the HDTV debate people argued that Apple won't make an integreated TV+AppleTV because the lifetime of a TV is so much longer than the lifetime of a set-top box. That's even worse for cars!

Same with in-flight until the price of in-flight data drops to bearable levels. iPads will be handed to customers in business class and first, cattle class will continue with the mixed bag that we already have.

In shop interactive displays? Won't even have a browser, never mind a 3G. In fact iPad seems to be winning this segment already. Apple could easily develop a larger slate specifically for retail since they are the perfect retail chain to use them in. So far I've seen iPads used in chain restaurants for booking/seating and heard of them being used in an upscale places for the wine list. The iPad seems destined for huge success in commerce.

There will be lots of places that touchscreens exist that aren't either Android or iOS - but arguably it makes sense for Apple to get iOS into more places than it makes sense for Google to get Android.

Ask yourself this - why is there no android version of the ipod touch?
  • Reply 170 of 228
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 171 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Smart move, to be honest. Apple could actually learn something from that.

And I'm saying that even if Android was being reported as going nuts he still would have tweeted hitting 500k/day - it's an obvious milestone!

It's like Apple announcing when they hit 25million of some device or a billion downloads of music. I think you're seeing clever marketing where no clever marketing was needed.
  • Reply 172 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 173 of 228
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Ask yourself this - why is there no android version of the ipod touch?

spoke too soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR7X8H5kFyI
  • Reply 174 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

spoke too soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR7X8H5kFyI

Ooh that's interesting, wonder how well it will sell. They're going to have to go up against the Touch on pricing directly - and so far nobody has managed to break that market open. On the video the guy mentions other android media players, so clearly the other attempts haven't made headway.
  • Reply 175 of 228
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Ooh that's interesting, wonder how well it will sell. They're going to have to go up against the Touch on pricing directly - and so far nobody has managed to break that market open. On the video the guy mentions other android media players, so clearly the other attempts haven't made headway.

I don't think they;ll sell too well, but maybe enough for Samsung to shoot more than once. I know I'm not buying one. It's nice...but Touchwiz and I are not best friends.
  • Reply 176 of 228
    the fandroids are awfully exuberant today.. it's ironic (but not surprising) that they hate on apple when android is merely a blatant (and poor) copy of apple's iOS (see pics of initial blackberry-looking android before schmit's mole work as an apple board member). no integrity, or memory!

oh, don't forget, the iphone (one of apple's many great products, try them!) pulls in more revenue than google (yes, the entire company)

from april 2011:

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/apple/640...iphone-android

i still don't get why google fans feel the need to post how "great" their platform is doing on apple forums. whatever, it's fun to watch them try to be nonchalant about it, and then start cracking..
  • Reply 177 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 178 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 179 of 228
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I don't disagree with you. But I don't think asdasd is wrong either. For example, Apple could easily team up with BMW to launch a version of iDrive (or Audi MMI, M-B Command APS, or Lexus Remote Touch, etc.) ...

Could BMW take Android and whip up its own version of iDrive based on Android? Yes.

Would they do it? Maybe. And that's what I was talking about. It's very conceivable that many a car company might use Android for its infotainment systems and come up with apps that use NFC to lock/unlock/start the car. Imagine, just tethering your phone and then having all your contacts, using Google Maps Navigation in the front, while the kids watch movies on the drop-down screen on Netflix. The big advantage for car companies is the low cost of development (they don't have to fiddle with the base OS and its free). And a high degree of customization available (no car company wants its infotainment system to look like the same as another company's).

iDrive runs on QNX, to be known as BBSOS 8.0 (as in Blackberry Savior OS). But it's not BMW that chose QNX, it was Becker, or rather Harmon, which owns Becker and ... owned QNX. So, how likely is it for Harman to abandon QNX in favor of Android after owning it for almost 10 years? Hmmm ... I am pretty sure Harman sold QNX because RIM pursued them, not because they wanted to jettison QNX.
  • Reply 180 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

I don't think they;ll sell too well, but maybe enough for Samsung to shoot more than once. I know I'm not buying one. It's nice...but Touchwiz and I are not best friends.

It was supposed to launch in spring which is now officially past, so it may not even make it out the gate. It's entirely possible that they realized that they couldn't compete with the Touch on price without making a HUGE production run and risking sitting on a metric crapton of inventory.

I s'pose they might be launching it in the fall for the holiday market.