Android device activations now exceed 500,000 per day

Comments

• Reply 181 of 228
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It was supposed to launch in spring which is now officially past, so it may not even make it out the gate. It's entirely possible that they realized that they couldn't compete with the Touch on price without making a HUGE production run and risking sitting on a metric crapton of inventory.

I s'pose they might be launching it in the fall for the holiday market.

Agree, although the fall/holiday season sounds even worse at least this year where it'll be swamped out by the release of ICS.
  • Reply 182 of 228
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

yes we all get that - but at the same time - if someone is shopping for a phone such that the contract price is effectively the same - and there is only a nominal difference in acquisition price - and 9 out of 10 people you see or ask for advice have an android based device - and only 1 has an iOS device - might that influence your decision?

If 4 or 5 of those 9 say it is difficult/confusing/not good (as I have heard a few say. I don't know a lot of people with Android phones) it would greatly influence a decision.
  • Reply 183 of 228
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm still wondering why Android can't even activate 2x as many devices as from one company that apparently only makes toys. Even MS has about 10 to 20x the paid Windows market of Mac OS X from said toy company so why is the super free, super open, sup awesome Android struggling to take a substantial lead over the super expensive, super proprietary, super elitist toy maker?
  • Reply 184 of 228
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 185 of 228
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwilson811 View Post

The majority of people that have experience using an iOS device (such as an iPod Touch) will clearly have a preference. Also, Apple does not need to command the largest market share to be wildly successful. They are selling their devices at a substantially higher margin. And as a follow up to that....the real play is the delivery of media to the devices, they appear to have a much more coherent long-term strategy as far as that is concerned!

Well, not necessarily.

I had iPad for a month - got it for my mother but played with it before I travelled overseas and delivered it.

I also played a bit with my mates Android 3.0 tablet.

While I prefer look and feel of iPad - definitely more polished product, hardware and software wise - I am inclined to get Android tablet for me, only because of features iPad il lacking. Most important one being file manager and capability to access shared folders over wifi. I am planing to use tablet for a lot of ebook and ecomics reading, and having to plug it to iTunes every time I want something not already transferred to tablet is just too much of an overkill. Plus, I did notice lack of Flash on iPad much more than I'm noticing it on my iPhone.

So, yeah - it seems I am willing to sacrifice polish for functionality. Even with having iPhone for almost 2 years, and intensively using iPad for 1 month (and enjoying it). I might be one in a million with such approach, but somehow I doubt it.
  • Reply 186 of 228
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I don't disagree with you. But I don't think asdasd is wrong either. For example, Apple could easily team up with BMW to launch a version of iDrive (or Audi MMI, M-B Command APS, or Lexus Remote Touch, etc.) that looks and feels like an Apple product which would be an infotainment system that essentially ran off the driver's iPhone, with an NFC chip in the phone that would be used as the key. iFanboy option?

Could Apple do something like this? Yes. (with some shortfalls...Apple has no native solution for navigation).

Would Apple do something like[/URL] this? Probably not. I don't see what the incentive is, for Apple.

If you have a double-DIN opening in your dash, the iPhone (or 4G iPod Touch) powers everything on the Pioneer app radio.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...dio+(SPH-DA01)

Quote:

Featuring the first ever in-dash, capacitive touchscreen, you can enjoy full on-screen access and control of your iPhone contacts, calendar, maps, and more with an intuitive interface, formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has teamed up with several app providers to offer compatibility with many of today’s most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of AppRadio compatible apps for future features and functions that can be easily and seamlessly added. AppRadio will even notify you when new compatible apps are released.

Quote:

Enjoy Internet streamed video while parked with the parking brake engaged; you and your passengers can enjoy YouTube®, Netflix®.

• Reply 187 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Just how short is that memory?

Ironic indeed.

really? that's it? that's just sad. apple adds some features that resemble some android features, android copies entire phone concept from apple, and still can't pull it off. hmm, not quite in the same ballpark. but, keep 'em coming.
  • Reply 188 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

really? that's it? that's just sad. apple adds some features that resemble some android features, android copies entire phone concept from apple, and still can't pull it off. hmm, not quite in the same ballpark. but, keep 'em coming.

really? how so? are you suggesting that apple invented the smartphone concept? of course all smartphones share common features such as, a PHONE! also internet, maps, photos/video, etc. i fail to see the resemblance in the android UI with the iOS UI?

iOS is entirely a grid of app icons. android has widgets, 7 customizable home screens, swipe down notification menu (wonder where apple got that one from?).

both android and iOS are doing quite well and there is no sense in this ridiculous competition mentality that is so prevalent in these forums and on the AI homepage in general.
  • Reply 189 of 228
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

And I'm saying that even if Android was being reported as going nuts he still would have tweeted hitting 500k/day - it's an obvious milestone!

It's like Apple announcing when they hit 25million of some device or a billion downloads of music. I think you're seeing clever marketing where no clever marketing was needed.

I'd say it's coincidental or that Ruben and his people are playing loose with the numbers. All but one of Ruben's tweets are reactions to Android news stories.

Look at his Twitter stream and tell me what it looks like you to.

100K, 200K, 300K, 400K... those are all equally obvious milestones and yet Rubin tweeted about only one of those--not coincidentally, in response to circulating news about iOS activations outpacing Android.

His first tweet was in response to news stories questioning Android's openness.

Another of his tweets links to a post on the Android blog responding to recent news stories. ("Recently, there’s been a lot of misinformation in the press about Android and Google’s role in supporting the ecosystem....")

Ruben is clearly using his Twitter account as an outlet for countering unfavorable news stories and that puts the timing of Android reaching this "milestone" (almost simultaneous with news about Android's market share dipping) into question.
  • Reply 190 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

really? how so? are you suggesting that apple invented the smartphone concept? of course all smartphones share common features such as, a PHONE! also internet, maps, photos/video, etc. i fail to see the resemblance in the android UI with the iOS UI?

iOS is entirely a grid of app icons. android has widgets, 7 customizable home screens, swipe down notification menu (wonder where apple got that one from?).

both android and iOS are doing quite well and there is no sense in this ridiculous competition mentality that is so prevalent in these forums and on the AI homepage in general.

oh, great. first the trolls, now the referees, not sure which is more obnoxious. please get over yourself. android was a blatant copy of blackberry before apple showed them the light. it's called a capacitive finger friendly interface, full screen, app store, etc. I give google credit for trying to innovate, they're just not apparently very good at it on their own, with few exceptions. ok, enough of this, I'm going to sleep, troll on..
  • Reply 191 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 192 of 228
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal." -Pablo Picasso

I'm sure Steve Jobs will say that Samsung copied the iPhone but iOS stole the notification system
  • Reply 193 of 228
    Quote:

oh, great. first the trolls, now the referees, not sure which is more obnoxious. please get over yourself. android was a blatant copy of blackberry before apple showed them the light. it's called a capacitive finger friendly interface, full screen, app store, etc. I give google credit for trying to innovate, they're just not apparently very good at it on their own, with few exceptions. ok, enough of this, I'm going to sleep, troll on..

a touch UI is a generic feature common among all smartphones. do you think that the phonemaker who first introduces touch gets to have the feature exclusive in perpetuity? also, smartphones run applications....is it that shocking that they would have an app store too? again a completely generic feature that you are suggesting android took from apple. not very persuasive. does it really bother you that much that android is activating more devices than iOS.

look it doesn't matter how many devices android or iOS activate. as long as they both do well and keep pushing the technological envelope it benefits everyone. apple makes the best hardware, bar none. iOS is a fantastic OS. but so is android, and i happen to like different features that both OS's have. android had better notifications and maps w/ navigation. iOS has the best music player and store ever! also the camera is much better on iPhone 4. i like windows phone too. they all offer something different and interesting...
  • Reply 194 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 195 of 228
    Quote:

Sounds great. But since this reply is to a post about embedded systems, let us know when you get your Cocoa app to run on this:

LOL. That's soooo unsexy. Jony Ive just threw up in his mouth. Steve would never allow Cocoa on that...thing.
  • Reply 196 of 228
    deleted
  • Reply 197 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This brings up the question of ... is a mobile OS really an embedded OS? Just because an embedded OS like QNX (an RTOS at that) can be ported to become a mobile OS does not mean the two are synonymous. An embedded computer generally has a dedicated application, and user interaction is not critical if not outright unnecessary in some cases. A mobile system is really becoming a general purpose computer.

But this is probably a different topic for a different day.

Agreed. A mobile OS is now a scaled down desktop OS, but the user interface libraries are richly interactive and highly evolved. Embedded operating systems are usually used in appliances and things with very limited user interfaces.
  • Reply 198 of 228
    Quote:

Mr Ive is a god, but sexy is not the point of embedded systems.

I don't even know what that thing is in the photo. A robot dildo?
  • Reply 199 of 228
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. That's soooo unsexy. Jony Ive just threw up in his mouth. Steve would never allow Cocoa on that...thing.

Well, it has have a "MAC" address. LOL
  • Reply 200 of 228
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Agreed. A mobile OS is now a scaled down desktop OS, but the user interface libraries are richly interactive and highly evolved. Embedded operating systems are usually used in appliances and things with very limited user interfaces.

Not to be pedantic, but it's not so much the interface that defines an embedded system. In fact, the historically spartan UI (or even absence of one) is a by-product of what embedded system is. Arguably, feature phones are embedded systems. Smartphones - not so much.