Apple will offer free iPhone 3GS with 2-year mobile contract - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Don't even bother trying to school these types.

There's a certain percentage of American readers here who have zero awareness of the world. They've probably never traveled outside of their home state. The only thing they know is the stuff happening in their backyard or across the street.

They score zero points on the global worldview.

Quarter and after quarter, Apple reports sales and for quite a while, they have announced that half of Apple's revenue comes from international markets. These people obviously don't have any interest in learning about how Apple conducts its business, which would help them understand the larger picture about Apple's business plan and focus. These people think that Apple solely caters to their desires and are in total denial about the existence of other humans. Entitlement? Perhaps.

And your post has nothing to do with the OP. It just babbled on. In this case, the OP simply implied that carriers are more interested in keeping their profits high and generally do not pass along savings to the end customer.

This is 100% true in all capitalist markets in the world. From the UK to the US to the EU.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Yep, in the rest of the world, companies only expect to make 0.01% profit margin and if they make 1% profit margin, they send checks to all of their customers.

Careful there, your straw man is catching fire.

In much of the rest of the world the carriers aren't allowed to set their plans with complete freedom, for example here in Europe telecoms regulators have a large amount of control.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    They should rebrand the iPhone 3GS. Add a front facing camera for facetime, put in a dual-mode CDMA/GSM cellular radio, and sell it for $399 unlocked. Freshening up the form factor would be a plus too.
  • Reply 64 of 115
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Keep in mind that 'free' still requires that buyers pay the sales tax based on the unsubsidized price.
  • Reply 65 of 115
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Careful there, your straw man is catching fire.

In much of the rest of the world the carriers aren't allowed to set their plans with complete freedom, for example here in Europe telecoms regulators have a large amount of control.

If they save $10 they are required to give that back to the consumer? Having lived in France for 6 months, I know that is an out-right lie.
  • Reply 66 of 115
    It'll never happen. Apple is not in the habit of discounting old technology for the sake of increasing market share. That is just not who Apple is. Won't happen.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MackyMoto View Post

It'll never happen. Apple is not in the habit of discounting old technology for the sake of increasing market share. That is just not who Apple is. Won't happen.

The carriers are still buying the phones from Apple.

I don't think anyone expects Apple to give away their phones for free...
  • Reply 68 of 115
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The US is not the world!

The 3GS is "free" on many contracts in the UK. Of course it isn't free, you pay more over the lifetime of the contract.

To be fair the report is US biased as well. If it is true that Apple are talking to AT&T about reducing their price to zero on the standard contract this only means that the 3GS is going to be continued past september,and be cheaper.

But we knew that.

In the US we call this "No money down"
  • Reply 69 of 115
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Why in the world would Apple sell a phone that is almost immediately going to get outdated. At the least they have to put an A4 if not A5 in there, so when they come out with future software updates, their customers don't feel like they've been cheated, like Samsung and the rest.

because most cell phone users don't care about updates

and i think it's going to be a free low end iphone 4 that will be sold and not the 3GS
  • Reply 70 of 115
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MackyMoto View Post

and there is only one model of the ipod and there is no 3GS currently sold for $50 on contract
  • Reply 71 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Why would Apple give AT&T an upper hand going forward with this free 3GS?

I don't see it happening. I think with the refresh Apple will level the playing field.

Keeping the 3GS or a 3GS type device for sale would only make sense if they open it up to other carriers by putting a dual-mode CDMA/GSM cellular radio. If both Verizon and AT&T have a $0 (with 2 year contract) iPhone available, iPhone sales could go through the roof.
  • Reply 72 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Keeping the 3GS or a 3GS type device for sale would only make sense if they open it up to other carriers by putting a dual-mode CDMA/GSM cellular radio. If both Verizon and AT&T have a $0 (with 2 year contract) iPhone available, iPhone sales could go through the roof.

You realize that there is a whole world out there that doesn't use american CDMA standards right?
  • Reply 73 of 115
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

I just don't see why the cost of the phone ($99 or $49 or even $0) is such a big deal when it requires a minimum of a $15/monthly data plan?

Who is going to say "I'm not willing to spend $49 on an iPhone, but I will add $15/month to my cell phone bill?"

This only makes sense if they finally drop the requirement for the data plan. Before you say "what is the point of an iPhone with out 3G data", there are plenty of people (including many high school and college students) who are constantly surrounded with WiFi and won't spend the $15/month for a data plan, but who want an iPhone...

I would have paid $199 for iPhones for my kids years ago if I could have eliminated the data plan - it would have been CHEAPER than buying them iPod touches...

There is an opposing viewpoint.

All I want is data. With iMessage, FaceTime, SMS, Skype, I have no need to pay for voice minutes I'll never use, but the carriers here won't let me sign up at all unless I agree to pay at least $50/month for a voice and data plan.
  • Reply 74 of 115
    rivertriprivertrip Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Why in the world would Apple sell a phone that is almost immediately going to get outdated. At the least they have to put an A4 if not A5 in there, so when they come out with future software updates, their customers don't feel like they've been cheated, like Samsung and the rest.

Because "free" with a contract is the standard practice for old models, at least in the USA. The same people purchase another "free" phone two years later.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I'd rather pay $600 for a phone and have no contract and half the monthly service fee. Otherwise forget it. Keep your "free" phone.
  • Reply 76 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

You realize that there is a whole world out there that doesn't use american CDMA standards right?

Well yes, most of the world already uses GSM standards of which Apple has had for years. I've read but I don't know myself that China's CDMA is similar to Verizon's except on a different spectrum (I might be saying that incorrectly)

Anyway, to add to the discussion a local report from India indicates that Apple may be reintroducing the 3GS there for a price of around $444 dollars (40% cheaper than the iPhone 4 there).
  • Reply 77 of 115
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't know if this is rumor is true of not, but I don't see a problem with it. If Apple wants to make one of their older phones free, thereby appealing to third world people and other financially challenged people, then why not?
  • Reply 78 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

thereby appealing to third world people and other financially challenged people, then why not?

HARDLY! Data plans, man, data plans.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Well yes, most of the world already uses GSM standards of which Apple has had for years. I've read but I don't know myself that China's CDMA is similar to Verizon's except on a different spectrum (I might be saying that incorrectly)

It's similar in that it is CDMA, but it's completely different as it is TD-CDMA, this is more than just a frequency difference - ie. US CDMA chipsets will not work in china. This is why it took so long for a Verizon iphone, because it's pretty much a phone engineered for one carrier. I don't imagine we'll ever see a 3GS on verizon, not even if Apple ever make a 3GS+ or whatever you might call such a beast.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It will probably be free on all plans. Only in America - apparently - is there one plan for all users of a phone. If the carriers can get it fro $200 less they can take that off their plans.

Just one plan? There are more than that. There are two data plan tiers, three if you count the grandfathered one (though I don't), several tiers of voice plans and I think four tiers of text plans.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seriously. You said that. You actually said that.

I really don't see that as being so outrageous. Besides, we have a lot of members that buy a new iPhone every year. To what end?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Quarter and after quarter, Apple reports sales and for quite a while, they have announced that half of Apple's revenue comes from international markets.

Just a tangent question, is the international market really only half of Apple's revenues? The US market is only 5% of the world, why isn't Apple doing better in the rest of the world?