Android device activations now exceed 500,000 per day

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Based on this one puny little bit of information, I believe that tablets are to laptops and desktops as laptops were to desktops, with the potential for tablets to have greater penetration, with laptop and desktop penetration to wane a bit. Tablets will eventually grow in size (13" is coming, maybe even 15") and will be able to do 99% of what a desktop and laptop is able to do, and but more enjoyable and easier to do.

It's all in "addressable" market. PCs are indeed relatively hard to use and are not open to the entire population. Tablets on the other hand, especially the Apple model, are supposed to be easy to use: toddlers, centenarians, felines, etc.

We'll see.

To me it's a natural progression... desktops -> laptops -> tablets... with desktops disappearing in the home being replaced with laptops and tablets.

Tablet popularity will grow as the potential is realized... whether iOS or Android.

[ is that clear enough for you MacRulez... see, it doesn't look like darts at a product list... a clear progression with the vision to realize that the tablet's potential has not been fully realized ]

Phones will be a companion device... and everyone has a phone... so, yes, they will be dominant... but not the replacement of the pc (in the personal computer sense)... at least not in the near future.

We'll see...
  • Reply 222 of 228
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 223 of 228
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 224 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ne-report-says

It's easy to overlook the role of simple saturation when faced with coincident factors like the introduction of an exciting new form factor.

You keep adding quotes talking about current devices... which mean absolutely nothing to me. Hence the "lack of vision" remark. The iPad as it is now is as the 1989 Mac portable is to the Air today (excuse the bad English).

You also talked about the tablet's decline in the same respect as the netbook decline. I see the netbook as a laptop trying to be a tablet. A netbook isn't unto itself... it is a laptop. The tablet is a completely different animal as in my progression... desktop -> laptop (including netbooks) -> tablets (with the tablet in its infancy but growing as its potential is realized and its form changes).

[ ... but, of course, we are way off topic ]
  • Reply 225 of 228
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

i think my daughter is on her third Android in a year because of hardware issues.

You seemed to be confused between the OS of the phone, and the hardware of the phone.

Just because it is an Android device doesn't meant it will have more hardware issues.
  • Reply 226 of 228
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Yeah, my four kids just had to have the latest roid. We are up to 7 roids to my one iPhone this year. Now three of the four kids want an iphone.

God I hate these comparisons.Do es it matter to anyone other than those who think Android is superior that two of my friends are switching from an iPhone to the Droid Incredible 2 and the Motorola Atrix respectively? One of them is doing it because of carrier reasons (the Incredible girl just hates AT&T and wants to try Android) and the one going to the Atrix went through 3 faulty, refurbished iPhones before deciding to try the Atrix (against my recommendations). These points are silly.
  • Reply 227 of 228
    bsgincbsginc Posts: 78member
    Hmmmmm Google is selling a free product to phone manufacturers and they still don't own the entire market, or even half of the entire phone market! Or, even half the smartphone market, much oess phone plus mp3 player, plus tablet. (yet)

Manufacturers still buy not-free OSs and successfully resell that product to consumers as a part of their phone.

Free vs. Not free. And they don't own the market? Hmmmm
  • Reply 228 of 228
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

Hmmmmm Google is selling a free product to phone manufacturers and they still don't own the entire market, or even half of the entire phone market! Or, even half the smartphone market, much oess phone plus mp3 player, plus tablet. (yet)

Manufacturers still buy not-free OSs and successfully resell that product to consumers as a part of their phone.

Free vs. Not free. And they don't own the market? Hmmmm

That's how I see it, too. I'd fully expect that Android would be becoming another Windows in market domination? and Windows was never free.