Samsung asks ITC to ban import of Apple products in latest legal complaint

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung has fired another shot in its ongoing legal battle with Apple, this time asking the U.S. International Trade Commission to ban the import and sale of devices including the iPhone and iPad.

The request for an import ban is standard procedure for an ITC complaint. For example, in January of 2010 Apple asked the ITC to ban in the import of Nokia-made handsets.

As noted by Florian Mueller at FOSS Patents, it's extremely likely that the ITC will agree to investigate Samsung's complaint against Apple, and a final decision would be reached within 16 to 18 months.

The latest legal filing comes as rumors continue to mount that Apple plans to move away from Samsung for supplies for its custom-built ARM processors. One rumor that surfaced this week, claims that Apple will have its next-generation A6 chip built instead by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company in 2012.

The success of the iPhone and iPad has made Apple the largest customer of Samsung, with the Cupertino, Calif., company expected to buy $7.8 billion in components from its rival this year.

The courtroom showdown began in April, when Apple sued Samsung and accused the rival electronics maker of creating devices that copy the look and feel of the hardware and software found on the iPhone and iPad. Specifically cited were products like the Galaxy S smartphone and Galaxy Tab touchscreen tablet.

Samsung fired back with its own legal action, accusing Apple of violating patents related to mobile devices. That complaint was filed in a San Jose, Calif., court.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Please can someone prescribe 'lithium' to Samsung, since they must be 'crazy' to ever submit such a request.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    brentbrent Posts: 12member
    Apple needs to stop buying any parts from Samsung NOW!!! I'm sure there are a lot of states with high unemployment rates that would court a few Apple factories here in the US, and that would give Apple a secrecy advantage. Also there is a firm in Brazil, and other Asian suppliers, but pull the plug on Samsung!!!
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Do I honestly think that Samsung is in the wrong here? - yes. Do I think this will actually happen? - No. Is this starting to get absolutely ridiculous? - Yes!!!!!! At this point, if I were the judge, I'd tell both companies (Apple/Samsung) to grow the hell up, quit whining, and knock it off - and dismiss the entire case.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 513member
    Ban the import and sale where? The image says "Country: None". I wonder if this just affects Samsung's home turf but as a multi-national, where would this take effect? Where would this appeal take effect - importing from US to somewhere? It's all nonsense and posturing anyway, but it would be good to know what remedy this request is for.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

Do I honestly think that Samsung is in the wrong here? - yes. Do I think this will actually happen? - No. Is this starting to get absolutely ridiculous? - Yes!!!!!! At this point, if I were the judge, I'd tell both companies (Apple/Samsung) to grow the hell up, quit whining, and knock it off - and dismiss the entire case.

What whining or unreasonable actions has Apple done? It's a trade dress case so apple has a right to inspect samsung's announced products that they think infringe on their IP. Samsung's on the other hand thinks they can inspect products that haven't even been announced.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    Q: What's the difference between Korean businesses and Al Qaeda?

A: You can reason with Al Qaeda
  • Reply 7 of 101
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    So Samsung wants to stop the export of products containing components they make to the USA???

0_o
  • Reply 8 of 101
    marokeromarokero Posts: 99member
    Talk about shooting oneself in the foot... what's in iProducts? Samsung components.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    kenhawkkenhawk Posts: 7member
    If Apple isn't now investigating alternative suppliers to EVERYTHING they purchase from Samsung...something is seriously wrong. It's time for Apple direct it's billions in parts acquisitions elsewhere.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

That is, of course, exactly Samsungs strategy.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    lolwut.

What if Apple just moves manufacturing to the U.S.?
  • Reply 12 of 101
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    funny.

This is not gonna happen, but it's funny to read in the news about such attempts.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    jonrojonro Posts: 64member
    I agree that the whole thing is a bit silly. Aside from some cosmetic differences, every tablet on the planet looks like an iPad. How many ways can you make a framed skinny rectangle? Apple should have been more specific in their original complaint and tried to get Samsung to address their specific issues. The supply issue is complicated, but I don't thing that Apple wants to stop using Samsung as a supplier because they are trying to compete in the tablet market. They have a lot more leverage over Samsung when they are buying billions of dollars in parts from them. I would like to see more electronics plants in the US, but they can take years to build.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonro View Post

Aside from some cosmetic differences, every tablet on the planet looks like an iPad. How many ways can you make a framed skinny rectangle?

You can make it entirely metal. You can make it have different designs on the side. You can place the buttons whereever you want. There are lots of different ways. Think of the different ways people distinguish picture frames. It's the same concept, there's tons of ways to get creative with the shape, despite it being in a "rectangle" format. They'd just rather not experiment, however, because they're betting that people will associate it with an iPad if it looks similarly. And no, no tablet currently looks like an iPad. The Android 3.0 tablets are the closest things that come close to imitating Apple's interface, and they don't look anything like it. The actual hardware on the other hand...

And so their business logic goes something like this:

Step 1: Copy Apple and the black frame as opposed to coming up with some new cool design that doesn't have a matte black or white

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!!
  • Reply 15 of 101
    katastroffkatastroff Posts: 103member
    Dear Steve, please buy Samsung. and the Nortel Patents.

Then you can simply reply to every email (and/or litigation) with the following:

STFU! FTW!

P.S. You're holding it wrong.

-Steve
  • Reply 16 of 101
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brent View Post

Apple needs to stop buying any parts from Samsung NOW!!! I'm sure there are a lot of states with high unemployment rates that would court a few Apple factories here in the US, and that would give Apple a secrecy advantage. Also there is a firm in Brazil, and other Asian suppliers, but pull the plug on Samsung!!!

Manufacturing isn't coming back to the United States as long as the NLRB and the federal governments try to dictate terms to the free market.

Hell, one only has to look at the most recent Boeing case to see why manufacturing will continue fleeing the country.

It doesn't matter if people are unemployed because the markets do not dictate wages. Even if those people *wanted* to work for lower wages instead of simple not working, the federal government wont allow them to do so.

During the great depression, when wage controls were implemented, elevator operators were priced out of the market. It became apparent that the automated systems would be cheaper than paying the operators the new federally imposed minimum wage. The building owners didn't want to fire these people. The people *wanted* to continue to work for their wages, they appreciated being employed. Sadly FDRs court packing scheme turned over years of precedent and the exploration of alternative labor markets began.

It seems as if the federal government would rather have people unemployed then working for lower wages. Its quite sad actually.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    IMO, Samsung is just being an irritant with the latest filing. The entire scene became one trying to irritate the other when Apple amended their complaint to include just about every smartphone and tablet Samsung has ever produced. This just continues the saga. They both are being childish now in my opinion. The original complaint Apple filed with some justification is getting lost in their more recent gamesmanship.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is not surprising. This is just what big companies do when they're involved in a dispute.

If I had a huge legal team at my disposal, I'd be suing people left and right also.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    neothetaneotheta Posts: 17member
    Death Wish.
  • Reply 20 of 101
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Manufacturing isn't coming back to the United States as long as the NLRB and the federal governments try to dictate terms to the free market.

Or it could be that other countries pay huge free market distorting subsidies to industry for the privilege of hosting their facilities. Germany is hardly free market red in tooth and claw.