Samsung asks ITC to ban import of Apple products in latest legal complaint

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So Korea is a race now?

Yes, Koreans are a race of people. Go ahead, take the next step down the slope.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    the goose which laid the golden egg.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    loptimistloptimist Posts: 113member
    Yes, Apple is the original complainer - about look-and-feel.

Then, Samsung counter-sued and this ban probably goes along with that counter-suit.

Samsung has every rights to sue Apple too for patent infringements.

This ban is a separate issue to the look-and-feel crap shit complaints Apple made.

Also, this is just another maneuver Samsung trying to earn against Apple.

AND. ITC HASN'T EVEN STARTED THE INVESTIGATION YET.
  • Reply 64 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elastic Reason View Post

So, you're suggesting that Samsung should be able to duplicate any Apple product, and the huge investment and risk borne by Apple should be swept under the rug in a effort to play nice? Bull$hit.

I'm not saying that. What I already said that Samsung is in the wrong.. guess everyone missed that... What I'm saying is, I don't think anyone will win this. What Apple should do is remove their business dealings with samsung (displays, chips, etc.) completely.. it would be a major loss for them. Although it appears that they are starting to do so with the upcoming rumor of the A6.
  • Reply 65 of 101
    shigzeoshigzeo Posts: 78member
    Samsung are many many times larger than Apple. It would never happen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

Dear Steve, please buy Samsung. and the Nortel Patents.

Then you can simply reply to every email (and/or litigation) with the following:

STFU! FTW!

P.S. You're holding it wrong.

-Steve

• Reply 66 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Generalizing Samsung tactics as Korean tactics is a slippery slope to racism.

One I can almost confirm. Racist or not, it is the way the companies have been allowed to grow. Blame it on their government that basically gave them free run of the country since the Korean War. Blame it on Korean citizens that would rather ignore all the implications of a country run by two corporations than by individual innovation.

It IS very much a problem with Korean business.

I worked with a few, and I can confirm that from very small businesses to very large ones, there is very little if any give. It is ALL take all the time. Sure, some exceptions exist, but unfortunately, they are few and far between.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Samsung are many many times larger than Apple. It would never happen.

Please explain in what way this is true.

Market cap? Nope. Marketshare? Nope.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please explain in what way this is true.

Market cap? Nope. Marketshare? Nope.

You're thinking very typically. Samsung are NOT an electronics company. They started that in the 1960's, but Samsung have been around as a growing corporation since the 1940's.

Their electronics division is large, but it is pittance to the entire conglomerate. They are or have been involved in dozens and dozens (maybe more) of businesses including: cars, insurance, housing, construction, shipperies, banking, clothing, groceries and many many more.

Apple make phones, computers, and a few other things, all electronic. There is NO comparison.

The market cap reports you get in the WSJ etc., look at Samsung Electronics; in fact, those reports only somehow think of Samsung as an electronics company. Silly, really.
  • Reply 69 of 101
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

You're thinking very typically. Samsung are NOT an electronics company. They started that in the 1960's, but Samsung have been around as a growing corporation since the 1940's.

Their electronics division is large, but it is pittance to the entire conglomerate. They are or have been involved in dozens and dozens (maybe more) of businesses including: cars, insurance, housing, construction, shipperies, banking, clothing, groceries and many many more.

Apple make phones, computers, and a few other things, all electronic. There is NO comparison.

The market cap reports you get in the WSJ etc., look at Samsung Electronics; in fact, those reports only somehow think of Samsung as an electronics company. Silly, really.

Groan. Here we go again. Samsung's market cap is about one- third of that of Apple. With all their conglomerate crap put together. End of story.

Why don't you guys bother to look it up before making such silly sweeping assertions.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    Apple agreed to pay Nokia patent licensing fees (about $5/device) about 10 days ago. The deal settled all patent litigation between Nokia and Apple. Samsung expects a similar deal. There is no way new company can make a phone not using their data transmission technology. Only Apple has now is multi-touch patent but Samsung's multi-touch is implemented with different ways. In patent courtroom, feel or look similar does not mean anything (I know that is what most consumers know but patent laws do not work in that way). Good news for you is now Samsung and Apple are preparing "Apple TV by Samsung" that you can use iTune and iOS devices directly.
  • Reply 71 of 101
    Apple just try to minimize its patent licensing fees to Samsung. That is all.
  • Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Generalizing Samsung tactics as Korean tactics is a slippery slope to racism.

Oh bite me. I was a senior credit office for a major bank that dealt with medium sized and larger corporations. The running joke with these customers was that negotiations began [I]after[I] the contract was signed.

You sound like these morons that think anyone who disagrees with Barak Obama is a racist,
  • Reply 73 of 101
    Apple brought their suit to Korean soil, Samsung is returning the favor. Superficially this looks like playground pre-adolescent antics, but as negotiating items each of these maneuvers is going to be on the bargaining table between the companies.

This gets tiresome to continuously re-explain basic corporate strategy.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

With the exception of the color of the device, and the fact that there is no front facing button(s), the N9 could just as easily be the next iphone/android device (to the casual observer)

Not really, the screen is made of curved glass and protrudes out from the surface. The glass isn't edge to edge. The side edges are rounded but the top and bottom are flat, the corners are not rounded. The edges are plastic not metal. The icon grid has no bottom row with special separation and status.

The N9 doesn't infringe Apple's trade dress, the samsung phones almost certainly do.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ne_contact View Post

Apple agreed to pay Nokia patent licensing fees (about $5/device) about 10 days ago.

Any actual evidence for the $5/device figure? Who are you quoting there? We know that Apple is paying Nokia but as far as I'm aware there is as yet no consensus as to how much it is. We might get some kind of evidence when we see Nokia's next quarter's results.
  • Reply 76 of 101
    Samsung has a history of treading on patents, circumventing intellectual property, copying products and mimicking features that were created by others. "Somehow" other companies unique elements that are manufactured by Samsung for other companies "just" end up in Samsung products. "Copying" seems to be a part of their company culture brought on by the tremendous pressure within their ranks to produce and excel but not having the ability to create their own unique software and delivery platforms. Companies should have challenged them on this long ago but no one has due to the convoluted relationships created by the fact that Samsung is not only a manufacturer but also a producer of it's own products. Besides, it has been known for a long time that if a product Samsung is selling globally violates a United States patent they just do not sell the product in the United States. Apple is tired of this just and may be big enough to challenge them at their longstanding approach to subtly "stealing" other peoples products. When you factor in all of the costs of manufacturing overseas - and their rising labor costs and our ability to create robotic manufacturing - we may be approaching a point where it once again makes sense to manufacture in the United States even with our higher labor costs.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

You want to pay twice as much for your iPhone?

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...=United+States

Willing to work for $3.25./hr?

http://www.dailytech.com/Cheap+Labor...ticle21946.htm

So what your saying is, you would pay a lower price for Apple products to be manufactured in China?

Secrets being leaked, IP knowledge being stolen, drained and sold to the highest bidder, hiring 3rd party workers who work in drab conditions.... etc.

Personally, if its to pay American workers? Absolutely I would pay double the price of an iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

If its to pay American workers? Absolutely.

Can you name a US-made high-end consumer electronic product you own?
  • Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Associating generalisation with racism is equally bad in my book.

Are you denying that countries behave in general ways?

Are you suggesting a country is a race?

Are you unnecessarily using the race card and subsequently watering down it's effectiveness to deter real racism? Sorry but yes.

What difference would it make if one was referring to Koreans as a race or a nation?

Unless you happen to be an expert on the sociological and economic behaviors of Korean business people as it pertains to international trade (which isn't entirely impossible...), your generalization colors all Koreans who do business as being vicious and unreasonable.... a statement which, whether racist or not, colors YOU as vicious and unreasonable as well.
  • Reply 80 of 101
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Can you name a US-made high-end consumer electronic product you own?

That's too hard of a question. Can you simplify it by just asking him to name one US-made high-end CE product? Who cares if he owns one.

I've heard of people shopping for and buying U.S. made cars as a way of showing patriotism, but I've never heard of someone specifically shopping for a U.S. made CE product.

I originally set out to lease a U.S. assembled car at the beginning of the year, but after doing identical negotiations with an import car dealer, I drove one home. I don't have enough disposable income to afford or justify paying almost $100 per month more for a comparably priced U.S. made vehicle, no matter how much I want to buy American. Imported car residuals (resale values) are much higher and the leasing (interest rates) are much lower.