Review roundup: HP TouchPad billed as 'mediocre tablet'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

I think you know what I mean. If you want an unbiased opinion when an iSomething is envolved, Walt is not the tree to climb. I don't know if this HP thing is any good, but you will not find out by asking Walt :-)

Walt didn't write all three of those reviews, my friend.

Maybe you would like 'best out of five', perhaps?
  • Reply 22 of 111
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    Well, out of every non-iPad delivered to consumers over the last year, it appears that the Samsung 10.1 was the best... probably because they copied the iPad as best they could... and that's not saying much for non-iPad's. Too bad.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Well, out of every non-iPad delivered to consumers over the last year, it appears that the Samsung 10.1 was the best... probably because they copied the iPad as best they could... and that's not saying much for non-iPad's. Too bad.

The galaxy tab (the 7 inch) actually sold the best of the non-iPads.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The galaxy tab (the 7 inch) actually sold the best of the non-iPads.

While the 7" may have "reportedly" sold 2 million to stores (not customers), the Tab 10.1 hasn't been out long and will sell more than 2 million to customers by the end of this year, I have no doubt. The 7" Tab was pure junk. The 10.1 at least is a semi-clone of the iPad and I think the best option for those not wanting an iPad. In 2 iterations of Honeycomb, I believe this will be the best non-iPad on the market and will take 20-30% of the global tablet pie, with Apple eating 55-60% and then the rest made up of white box clones and Xoom/HP/discount bin garbage.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

OMG Walt Mossberg didn't like a non iProduct!? Really? I can't beleive it. Oh wait...

It's not like he's an outlier on this one.

thisismynext's review:

Still, the bottom line here is that the stability and smoothness of the user experience is not up to par with the iPad or something like the Galaxy Tab 10.1, even if many of the underlying ideas are actually a lot better.

Engadget's review:

Oh, happy day, when one first receives a device that's been eagerly anticipated for months. Sad, sad day when that device fails to live up to one's expectations. We all wanted the TouchPad to really compete, to give us a compelling third party to join the iOS and Android boxes on the ballot. But, alas, this isn't quite it.

Gizmodo is heartbroken:

I am so goddamned tired of the iPad. Which is why I was so excited for the TouchPad. And that's why I feel so completely crushed right now.

Slashgear is a lone voice of love, and even they can't help but snipe about the hardware:

Uninspiring hardware, perhaps, but we?ll happily look past that based on webOS? charms.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

I believe this will be the best non-iPad on the market and will take 20-30% of the global tablet pie, with Apple eating 55-60% and then the rest made up of white box clones and Xoom/HP/discount bin garbage.

So Windows 8 ends up with market share in the low single digits or Windows 8 counts as a PC not a media tablet?
  • Reply 27 of 111
    Quote:

While the 7" may have "reportedly" sold 2 million to stores (not customers), the Tab 10.1 hasn't been out long and will sell more than 2 million to customers by the end of this year, I have no doubt.

I'm not going off Samsung's dodgy shipment numbers, I'm going off the Android app market's data.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...d/screens.html

3% of devices have large screens, meaning 7inch, thats around 3.5mil - the largest part would seem likely to be the galaxy tab, at least I can't think of another 7inch that actually made it into the wild in any numbers yet.

Quote:

The 7" Tab was pure junk. The 10.1 at least is a semi-clone of the iPad and I think the best option for those not wanting an iPad. In 2 iterations of Honeycomb, I believe this will be the best non-iPad on the market and will take 20-30% of the global tablet pie, with Apple eating 55-60% and then the rest made up of white box clones and Xoom/HP/discount bin garbage.

Some strange folk seem to actually want a 7inch - lord knows why, also since it runs Froyo it actually has some apps.

The galaxy 10.1 is almost certainly a better device, but it's far harder to justify in the face of an iPad-2.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Yeah surprising. I started to dislike him when I saw his interview with Steve Jobs. He feels like he's elite and he makes annoying, criticizing laughs toward Steve Jobs.

People forget the decade of more of criticism levelled at Apple by Mossberg. Now he approves of Apple's superior hardware, software and eco-system. Why was he a hero when he didn't approve of Apple's offerings and a villain now that he does? Could it not be that Apple's done some things right that meet Mossberg's criteria?

As for his inteviewing style, I'd rather he be somewhat deferential than come off as a know-it-all blowhard out to prove he could run a big IT operation better than the CEO. We have enough of these obnoxious cretins on mainstream TV. Everybody know Mossberg writes from the hip and isn't afraid to call a duck a duck.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

So Windows 8 ends up with market share in the low single digits or Windows 8 counts as a PC not a media tablet?

You "assume" a Windows 8 tablet will be out before 2013. I think you are being quite optimistic.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    Quote:

The galaxy 10.1 is almost certainly a better device, but it's far harder to justify in the face of an iPad-2.

It's easy to justify. There are a lot of people that simply refuse to buy Apple or want a smaller footprint tablet. These are the folks that will buy the best tablet that doesn't start with an "i". In this case, and IMO, that's the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or 8.9.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Criticising a new platform for a lack of apps at launch is beyond stupid.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Really? Not having apps available has shown to be the death of every tablet so far. I would think it to be stupid to NOT have apps, and lots of quality ones, at launch.
  • Reply 33 of 111
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    If the iPad OS looked like this then no one would say HP's webOS looked more beautiful and elegant.

• Reply 34 of 111
    Quote:

It's easy to justify. There are a lot of people that simply refuse to buy Apple or want a smaller footprint tablet. These are the folks that will buy the best tablet that doesn't start with an "i". In this case, and IMO, that's the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 or 8.9.

So far we haven't seen large numbers of such people willing to fork out 500bucks for a tablet. Maybe the next time google release data we'll see an uptick though.
  • Reply 35 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Yip, like Mac.World said. It's not stupid if the device it's competing against, the device that is the measuring stick, is the iPad2, with 80,000 apps. That figure cannot be ignored. Sure we can't expect the platform to have 80,000 apps at launch, but that just shows how behind the competition is. That too, is not a good sign for them. How many apps? How many quality apps? How fast are apps showing up on the store? How many developers? If I'm in the market, I'm going to look at all these stats and facts.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresrunge01 View Post

La HP libro estas malperfekta. Ne sxoko! Kiam ekis kredi HP sukcesus per verkas la unua provo? HP verkos.

I'm sure we all agree 100%?

Might try english - it is a bit more universal. I did get the gist of what you were saying and no disrespect intended - it is simply easier to communicate using english than your native tongue (Portuguese, Spanish?)

Welcome aboard.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

So far we haven't seen large numbers of such people willing to fork out 500bucks for a tablet. Maybe the next time google release data we'll see an uptick though.

Tens of millions of people have forked out $500 for a tablet, it's called the iPad.
  • Reply 38 of 111
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Finally, maybe it's just me but the moment a reviewer uses something like "meh-sterpiece" in their review, I cannot take the rest of it seriously. It's not what I'd expect a reviewer to use. I mean this isn't AintItCool.com.

Well, I don't require that reviewers/editors write like Charles Dickens. On the contrary, I'm always amused/entertained by interesting twists on language and colloquialisms (though, I will grant that "meh-sterpiece" is kinda uninspired?but at least the writer tried! Kudos for effort. )

For my money, one of the best tech writers out there, is in fact, a mythical beast who apparently can only refer to himself in the third person!
  • Reply 39 of 111
    wonwon Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

Butthead once told Beavis that "you can't polish a turd", and he was spot-on. Even if they manage to optimize the OS and add missing features, and gain a reasonable number of available tablet-optimized apps, the hardware is still a disaster. TouchPad 2 had better be badass, or the whole concept is doomed.

You can polish a turd.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NinjaBladeMastery View Post

Yip, like Mac.World said. It's not stupid if the device it's competing against, the device that is the measuring stick, is the iPad2, with 80,000 apps. That figure cannot be ignored. Sure we can't expect the platform to have 80,000 apps at launch, but that just shows how behind the competition is. That too, is not a good sign for them. How many apps? How many quality apps? How fast are apps showing up on the store? How many developers? If I'm in the market, I'm going to look at all these stats and facts.

I don't think most buyers are as overly concerned with the pure number of apps as you personally may be. In fact I'd make a semi-educated guess that most buyers of any tablet or smartphone assume there's apps available for it without researching how many or the quality of them. It's not at the top of their priority list. Really, do you need 100,000 apps to be happy with your purchase?

Related to that, how would 100 thousand+ apps even benefit most users? The majority are largely copies of others already available, and how do you even discover most of them? You'll never look at more than a tiny percentage of those. IMO, 300 top-quality apps will benefit a user more than 100,000 of varying quality where you can't easily separate gems from trash. Sheer numbers don't tell you much of anything.