Review roundup: HP TouchPad billed as 'mediocre tablet'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    Everybody's gotta start somewhere.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Criticising a new platform for a lack of apps at launch is beyond stupid.

It's not stupid if customers are deciding what product to buy and want to use apps. It is what it is... iPad has them and the rest don't. Maybe you can add "yet" to the end of that sentence, maybe not. That's a gamble you're taking if you buy anything other than an iPad, and that's what the other tablet makers are competing against.
  • Reply 43 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Leave it to some generic box-maker to **** up WebOS.

Next!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Criticising a new platform for a lack of apps at launch is beyond stupid.

At this point in the game, no robust ecosystem *already* in place means no sales.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

I think you know what I mean. If you want an unbiased opinion when an iSomething is envolved, Walt is not the tree to climb. I don't know if this HP thing is any good, but you will not find out by asking Walt :-)

Unfortunately, you weren't clever enough to read the other many reviews also listed in this article.

Maybe there were too many words for you to get past the Mossberg summary.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I'm sure we all agree 100%?

Might try english - it is a bit more universal. I did get the gist of what you were saying and no disrespect intended - it is simply easier to communicate using english than your native tongue (Portuguese, Spanish?)

Welcome aboard.

Google Translate detected it as... Wait for it... Esperanto ...Which Google Translate can't translate yet.
  • Reply 46 of 111
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    A year and a half on, the carnage is getting ridiculous. And still no proper functioning Flash. What has Adobe been doing? Who the f**k is in charge of that department at Adobe?

PlayBook DOA. HP DOA. Here in Asia iPad 2 is still sold out the wazoo. Acer Iconia? Samsung Tab? Those buyers are the real "rebels" now, but their martyrdom is tragic.

The Tech press is getting desperate, their stories are getting stale... "Look w00t new tablet... Oh wait, it sucks."

Madness.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Can you believe that there exists delusional fools and mentally ill people out there who have been calling this an iPad killer? And if these people are not mentally ill, then they are surely smoking much better weed than I am, and I'd like to know where I can get me some of that.

I read a few of those HP tablet reviews and this tablet is a complete joke. It's fat and grotesquely obese. It weighs too much. It's made from cheap materials. It takes more than a minute to turn on! It has shoddy battery life. It fares terrible in performance tests, such as javascript. It suffers from many bugs. The video camera, of which it only has one, seems like complete crap, not even good enough for Skype. Flash is horrible, buggy and laggy on it, not that I really give a damn about Flash. When you tear the tablet apart, it looks like the insides of a cheap pc, not a tablet. There are hardly any apps available for it. They hilariously priced it at the exact same price as the undisputed #1 tablet which rules the universe.

The modern tablet era, which was ushered in by the arrival of the groundbreaking iPad is still pretty young, but the tablet graveyard has already begun to fill up with the corpses of tablets which have already met their early demise. I imagine that in 6 months time, the corpse of the HP Touchpad will be feeling pretty comfortable lying 6 feet underground, next to his neighbor, Mr. Xoom and all of the other poor, unfortunate bastards.

• Reply 47 of 111
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Tens of millions of people have forked out $500 for a tablet, it's called the iPad.

Why is it so hard for people to read posts and recognize context?

Quote:

So far we haven't seen large numbers of such people willing to fork out 500bucks for a tablet. Maybe the next time google release data we'll see an uptick though.

In the context the word 'such' meant the people that Mac.World was talking about ie.

Quote:

These are the folks that will buy the best tablet that doesn't start with an "i"

So what you just said is that 10s of millions of inveterate mac haters who will avoid iProducts in the face of overwhelming odds have bought iPads - which I'm quite sure you didn't mean.
  • Reply 48 of 111
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Google Translate detected it as... Wait for it... Esperanto ...Which Google Translate can't translate yet.

OMG! It is Esperanto. Try here: http://traduku.net for a translator. Basic translation (my interpretation of what the translation program reported): "What did you expect for a first try?"
  • Reply 49 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

OMG! It is Esperanto. Try here: http://traduku.net for a translator. Basic translation (my interpretation of what the translation program reported): "What did you expect for a first try."

Heh - esperanto is great example of the failure of a product due to negative network effects - hardly anybody learns esperanto because hardly anybody speaks esperanto. I guess the same applies to this touchpad - so that was clearly a highly meta posting
  • Reply 50 of 111
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

Butthead once told Beavis that "you can't polish a turd", and he was spot-on. Even if they manage to optimize the OS and add missing features, and gain a reasonable number of available tablet-optimized apps, the hardware is still a disaster. TouchPad 2 had better be badass, or the whole concept is doomed.

By the way, MythBusters (TV Show) did indeed prove that you can polish a turd. Just in case anybody was wondering...
  • Reply 51 of 111
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I'm not going off Samsung's dodgy shipment numbers, I'm going off the Android app market's data.

http://developer.android.com/resourc...d/screens.html

3% of devices have large screens, meaning 7inch, thats around 3.5mil - the largest part would seem likely to be the galaxy tab, at least I can't think of another 7inch that actually made it into the wild in any numbers yet.

Huh??!!

I must be missing something here.

3% of what?
  • Reply 52 of 111
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Somebody has to explain to me the fascination with a rear-facing camera on a tablet. Is anybody really going to carry around this dinner plate to snap photos?
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Steve Jobs has indeed been proven correct. We now have a slew of Android phones, several Android tablets(with dual-CPUs), the Blackberry Playbook and now the HP TouchPad. None, *NONE* of them run flash well or consistently. And all now join the happy family of Flash zero-day exploits.
  • Reply 54 of 111
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

OMG Walt Mossberg didn't like a non iProduct!? Really? I can't beleive it. Oh wait...

Tough to be not critical when anything's compared to iProducts, where the worst example of iProducts are better than average, and most are in the range of exceptionally good to brilliant.

I guess he needs to learn to lie a little to satisfy the ABA crowd.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Why is it so hard for people to read posts and recognize context?

In the context the word 'such' meant the people that Mac.World was talking about ie.

So what you just said is that 10s of millions of inveterate mac haters who will avoid iProducts in the face of overwhelming odds have bought iPads - which I'm quite sure you didn't mean.

Well, in that case, you're saying that maybe Google will publish numbers that show an uptick in stupidity? Well, it's entirely possible.
  • Reply 56 of 111
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Huh??!!

I must be missing something here.

3% of what?

By the content of that page, it sounds like it meant 3% of all Android devices. However, their 4 category of screen sizes is vague when there's no real numbers to define what qualify as a "large" screen.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

By the content of that page, it sounds like it meant 3% of all Android devices. However, their 4 category of screen sizes is vague when there's no real numbers to define what qualify as a "large" screen.

Exactly. The 5 inch Dell Streak is advertised as a tablet and probably is lumped into the 3% of Androids with large screens?
  • Reply 58 of 111
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Well that's easy to take care of. Just subtract the 16 Streaks they sold.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Exactly. The 5 inch Dell Streak is advertised as a tablet and probably is lumped into the 3% of Androids with large screens?

I'm kinda assuming that nobody bought the dell streak
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, in that case, you're saying that maybe Google will publish numbers that show an uptick in stupidity? Well, it's entirely possible.

No - I'm saying that we might see more stupid people willing to spend $500 on a honeycomb tab. I'm assuming that the number of stupid people is fairly static on a monthly timeframe.