Suppliers indicate Apple will ship as many as 14M iPads next quarter

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is set to dramatically boost shipments of the iPad 2 next quarter, with overseas suppliers indicating the total number of units shipped will be between 12 million and 14 million.

Citing unnamed "market watchers," DigiTimes, known for its sources in Apple's supply chain in the Far East, reported on Thursday that shipments of between 12 million and 14 million units iPad 2 units will come in the third quarter of calendar 2011. That would be a large increase from the 7 million to 9 million units expected to be shipped this quarter.

The report said that Apple is now "more aggressive" placing orders for the iPad 2. Apple is said to have been "piling up inventory" of components like touchscreen panels in order to minimize the potential of a shortage.

Apple's upstream component suppliers are expected to receive a windfall from Apple's allegedly increased orders heading into the next three-month span of 2011. Those suppliers include LG Display, Catcher Technology, TPK Holdings, and Radiant Opto-Electronics Corporation.

If Apple were to ship 14 million iPad 2 units in the next quarter, it would be a number nearly three times greater than the 4.69 million units sold by Apple in its March quarter. That number was considered by Wall Street to be a mild disappointment.

Apple experienced constrained supplies and overwhelming demand when the iPad 2 went on sale in March. At the time, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook characterized Apple's predicament as "the mother of all backlogs."

But he also expressed confidence that his company would be able to resolve its component issues and meet consumer demand for the iPad 2. In fact, Apple's appetite for tablet components is so large it is expected to hurt competitors looking to enter the market with their own devices.

Earlier this month, Apple revealed that sales of the iPad lineup had reached the milestone of 25 million in just 14 months. That meant Apple had sold at least 5.52 million iPads in the first two months of the June quarter, putting Apple on track to sell more than 8 million units in the three-month frame. And that 8 million figure would fall right in the window of between 7 million and 9 million that industry sources provided DigiTimes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is set to dramatically boost shipments of the iPad 2 next quarter, with overseas suppliers indicating the total number of units shipped will be between 12 million and 14 million.

Holy mother of crap - that's an insane ramp-up for a completely new product in a completely new category.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Holy mother of crap - that's an insane ramp-up for a completely new product in a completely new category.

It will be judged sane if they sell them all.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    While Apple is trying to figure out how to get the world to build more of these, competitors are trying to figure out how to get the world to buy more of these. What a contrast.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I love Appleinsider, but this post has too many errors in it.

Can the author please proof read it so it's more accurate?

I know the subject and information is mostly accurate, but I expect more from you guys.

Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trapezoidboy View Post

I love Appleinsider, but this post has too many errors in it.

Can the author please proof read it so it's more accurate?

I know the subject and information is mostly accurate, but I expect more from you guys.

Thanks!

Oh... c'mon! How would I know that I'm on AppleInsider if there weren't any errors?!

j/k
  • Reply 6 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    They forgot to mention Samsung's windfall ... oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I can just see the boardroom meetings at Motorola, HP and RIM... the gnashing of teeth, the pulling of hair, faces getting redder as blood pressure rises... it must be tough to be in tech these days...
  • Reply 8 of 37
    In retaliation, HTC, HP, Samsung and Motorola set to dramatically boost stockroom inventory with iPad2 competitors next quarter, with overseas suppliers indicating the total number of units sent from the factory will be in the millions.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

It will be judged sane if they sell them all.

If nothing else they will have plenty for the holiday season next quarter. Don't forget that students prepping for college will be buying lots of these. In the end I don't see a problem for Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I can just see the boardroom meetings at Motorola, HP and RIM... the gnashing of teeth, the pulling of hair, faces getting redder as blood pressure rises... it must be tough to be in tech these days...

Heh - that makes me think that needs to be another Hitler reaction video, Hitler reacting to sales forecasts for the new Nazi volkstablet perhaps?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Oh... c'mon! How would I know that I'm on AppleInsider if there weren't any errors?!

j/k

I suppose you are correct ;-) LOL!
  • Reply 12 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Why? Because Apple needs ethical competition, that isn't Google. I had hopes for RIM and Playbook but they have obviously bungled that project.

In HP's case WebOS is really nice, it is the hardware that shard to digest. It is interesting though that this is another device getting bad marks for it's flash support. Looks like Steve was right about flash as all mobile systems are failing here.

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 37
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    QVC steps up sales? of HP Tablet

Ships 7/15 HP TouchPad 32GB Wi-Fi Touchstone Dock & Case

Retail Value: $729.00

QVC Price: $709.00

Featured Price: $659.00

• Reply 14 of 37
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why? Because Apple needs ethical competition, that isn't Google. I had hopes for RIM and Playbook but they have obviously bungled that project.

In HP's case WebOS is really nice, it is the hardware that shard to digest. It is interesting though that this is another device getting bad marks for it's flash support. Looks like Steve was right about flash as all mobile systems are failing here.

You can't compete when you look exactly the same as the competition. People not going to buy TouchPad just because it's not Apple. General public sees Apple as innovator, even if all nerds hate Apple and swear that Android and webOS are original.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

I'm not sure that they really do, look at the iPod market, they haven't had meaningful competition there for years, but they still keep updating the Touch, they still keep prices low and they still keep the platform relevant.

Apple's main competitor in the iPod market is the iPhone.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I'm not sure that they really do, look at the iPod market, they haven't had meaningful competition there for years, but they still keep updating the Touch, they still keep prices low and they still keep the platform relevant.

Agreed, Apple doesn't need others to compete with. They are driven to better at whatever they do regardless, even at the expense of existing products they make. That is what sets Apple apart.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

... and I think that Apple will bring the iPad to the next level with v.3... while the others are still struggling to get to the first level.

v. 2 was basically a refinement of v.1 but v.3 will again show Apple's innovation abilities...

... even without meaningful competition in that space.

imho, of course...
  • Reply 18 of 37
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    One thing I've noticed is that you *never* see refurbished iPad 2's in the UK Apple Store web site.

I've been looking for ages.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

I agree and there are a lot of nice things I think Palm/HP got right with webOS especially in tablet functionality but even so their tablet will most likely be a failure. Would be nice if Apple used some of that innovative competition to improve the iPad version of iOS.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's appetite for tablet components is so large it is expected to hurt competitors looking to enter the market with their own devices.

Must be a typo. Should read:

Apple's appetite for tablet components is so large it is expected to help competitors looking to enter the market with their own pathetic devices which they can't sell anyhow. An unsellable iPad wannabe device not produced is an unnecessary expense avoided.

Quote:

Naw? they're all collectively breathing a sigh of relief, because now they've got an excuse for shareholders why they're not producing widgets they can't sell anyhow. Saves them a bigger embarrassment later on, and they know it!