Apple's location-based dock concept has unique profiles for home, work, car

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    I think it would be great if you could do something similar with GPS and the ringer setting.

Automatically switch to silent when I'm in library, conference room, classroom, church, movie theater...
  • Reply 22 of 41
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Hate to bust everyone's bubble, but HP just announced this same feature for its TouchPad.

"And if you have one Charging Dock at work and another at home, the device knows they’re different and can be configured to run different Exhibition apps in either place." - Jason Snell in Macworld
  • Reply 23 of 41
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    seems a bit "expensive" to put this function in a dock (I've got 4 ipods - only 2 hold a charge) but I have NO DOCKS. I don't see myself getting a single dock (much less one for every location)..

wouldn't it be easier/better to change modes on the phone (via shortcuts)? what if I want to use my car settings in someone else's car?
  • Reply 24 of 41
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

But let's keep in mind that just because Apple has submitted this for patent only indicates interest in not execution of the concept. Apple does subtractive design - start with a full feature set and eliminate everything that is not necessary or only works ok.

Yes, Apple does file lots of patents and the vast majority of them do not see the light of day as a finished product.

It's possible that we may see a variant of this proposal in a feature in the future, however, it's also very possible that we'll never really see anything like this.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Hate to bust everyone's bubble, but HP just announced this same feature for its TouchPad. It works with the TouchStone inductive charging pads.

I think you mean "burst".

All this means is that it is time for HP to pony up some cash for violating Apple's patent.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

wouldn't it be easier/better to change modes on the phone (via shortcuts)? what if I want to use my car settings in someone else's car?

I'm not that fond of devices auto-helping me. There are so many variables as you said: I'm on a bus, I'm on a plane, I'm in my car, your car, coffee shop, etc. There are potentially a dozen different networks one might use on a typical day. I would rather have more control and fewer automatic configurations.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris v View Post

Was diving up the freeway at a respectable 70 mph the other day, when I looked in my rear-view, and a white Porche Cayenne was barreling up my tailpipe.

Yes, but SUV drivers are like that whether there's a phone in their hand or not. That's one of the reasons why they buy those ridiculous behemoths, so when they cause an accident, it'll be the other guy who gets hurt. (That and because, at least in America, there's a need to look successful, and bigger is always better - hence people buying homes they can't afford). But I digress...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Stupid people are going to pop up from time to time and there's not much you can do about it. I refuse to use a bluetooth headset because I can't find one that's comfortable. I hold the phone to my ear while driving and don't have any trouble paying attention to what's going on.

I too drive okay with a phone in my hand, in fact I've had friends tell me I'm the only one they've driven with who seems to be able to still be aware of what's going on around me while I hold a phone. Still, I don't feel comfortable doing so, so I use a handsfree device. I also find headsets to be very uncomfortable, so I use the built-in bluetooth handsfree capabilities of my TomTom (not all models support it, but the more expensive versions do) and I love it...

Quote:

I've never understood that. The don't text/email while driving I totally get and support. You have to look at the phone while doing it, thereby taking your eyes off the road. That should be illegal (and is in many places, including my state). But why would holding the phone to your ear be a distraction? You're still looking ahead. I don't get it. ::shrug::

Actually I know a cop here in the Seattle area who has said that the roads have actually become less safe since our texting and driving law went into effect. He said that while people used to hold their phones in front of them to text (thereby being able to still at least sort-of see what's going on in front of them), people now hold their phones down at their laps (in a vain attempt to avoid getting caught). Try staring at your lap and drive and see how well you remain aware of what's going on around you.

Ironically, I was visiting Austin a few months ago and sat in on a legislative session at the capital where they were trying to pass a similar law. One of the representatives argued this exact point stating that most states have reported an increase in texting-related accidents since passing these laws. The sponsor of the bill replied, "Yeah I've heard those reports too. But I don't believe them..."
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Quote:

Profiles would be nice. Almost every other phone supports them (even the ancient versions of Windows Mobile); I don't know why Apple doesn't. Hold down the lock button and, in addition to the power off option, list the different profile settings for email, text, phone, notification, voicemail alerts, etc...
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Welcome to 1997:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mact...ent/index.html

Apple Location Manager did much of the same thing, but didn't use specific hardware, but rather network information, to determine context. It would set preferences like preferred printer, sound level/muting/output device, network settings, etc. It was extensible, so third parties could write modules that added to the methods for determining location, as well as setting application settings based on location.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

seems a bit "expensive" to put this function in a dock (I've got 4 ipods - only 2 hold a charge) but I have NO DOCKS. I don't see myself getting a single dock (much less one for every location)..

Bingo exactly where I think most people are. I can't see people dishing $29 each (who knows how much Apple would charge for these "smart" docks...) to put docks in their home, office, and car just to have their device know what emails and apps to show...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Profiles would be nice. Almost every other phone supports them (even the ancient versions of Windows Mobile); I don't know why Apple doesn't. Hold down the lock button and, in addition to the power off option, list the different profile settings for email, text, phone, notification, voicemail alerts, etc...

Profiles sounds like a good idea
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

I'm all for anything that will disable hand-held devices while operating a car. Your lack of time management skills doesn't give you the right to put other people's lives in jeopardy.

Maybe they could add software to the iPhone that would auto-detect, through GPS that the unit was moving at 65 mph, and just shut the **** thing down.

Was diving up the freeway at a respectable 70 mph the other day, when I looked in my rear-view, and a white Porche Cayenne was barreling up my tailpipe. Before I could react, the driver swerved around me into the right lane, and came barreling by at perhaps 80 mph -- when I glanced over, the driver had an iPhone up to their face, in one hand, texting away with their thumb. They proceeded to tailgate the car in front of me for as long as they both stayed in sight -- I slowed down to get away from the accident waiting to happen. I see this All. The. Time.

In Colorado I believe they have a hotline you can call & alert police to keep an eye out for drivers like this, really wish they had that where I live. I have friends who text & drive all the time and they think the laws against such don't really apply to them because they aren't the one's who have a problem multitasking. They'll say this in defense of themselves as they swerve to avoid someone they didn't see because they were busy texting.

It isn't just texting though, they need to make it so you can't use the mirror on your visor while driving, I'm sick of almost being hit by women putting on makeup while driving!!!
  • Reply 32 of 41
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I think you mean "burst".

All this means is that it is time for HP to pony up some cash for violating Apple's patent.

I'm sure HP has a patent on it as well. Let them duke it out in a San Jose courtroom.

I know it's a colloquialism, but doesn't 'bust' work just as well? They're synonyms.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

I'm all for anything that will disable hand-held devices while operating a car. Your lack of time management skills doesn't give you the right to put other people's lives in jeopardy.

Maybe they could add software to the iPhone that would auto-detect, through GPS that the unit was moving at 65 mph, and just shut the damn thing down.

Was diving up the freeway at a respectable 70 mph the other day, when I looked in my rear-view, and a white Porche Cayenne was barreling up my tailpipe. Before I could react, the driver swerved around me into the right lane, and came barreling by at perhaps 80 mph -- when I glanced over, the driver had an iPhone up to their face, in one hand, texting away with their thumb. They proceeded to tailgate the car in front of me for as long as they both stayed in sight -- I slowed down to get away from the accident waiting to happen. I see this All. The. Time.

Hey, you live in Dallas. Don't you guys just shoot each other on your roadways like we do here in California?
  • Reply 34 of 41
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Stupid people are going to pop up from time to time and there's not much you can do about it. I refuse to use a bluetooth headset because I can't find one that's comfortable. I hold the phone to my ear while driving and don't have any trouble paying attention to what's going on.

I've never understood that. The don't text/email while driving I totally get and support. You have to look at the phone while doing it, thereby taking your eyes off the road. That should be illegal (and is in many places, including my state). But why would holding the phone to your ear be a distraction? You're still looking ahead. I don't get it. ::shrug::

That's the problem, people don't usually know they are incapable of doing so safely and for certain there are lots of people who really can't talk on the phone & drive (even hands free).

You are right though, in a way banning it isn't going to solve the problem as these same people can get just as distracted or worse when carrying a passenger, they simply can't focus on more than one thing at a time. Perhaps the question should be does multitasking need to be a required skill for a driver's test?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    I would just be happy to get rid of that "This device is not optimized for this iPhone" message EVERY TIME I connect to the charger in my car or the clock radio in my kitchen. As if I didn't know that by now. Sheesh.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Android already has this feature, and has for two years.

When I attach it to a car-dock, or the a desk-dock, the entire UI changes to one optimized for car use (featuring extra large buttons to activate navigation, etc.) or for desk-clock use (showing time and weather, with large buttons for accessing the media player.)

Apple's patent sounds like the same thing. Defining a dozen more locations with different UIs and configurations is still the same concept, but with a different implementation. Not something that should be patentable.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

When I attach it to a car-dock, or the a desk-dock, the entire UI changes to one optimized for car use (featuring extra large buttons to activate navigation, etc.) or for desk-clock use (showing time and weather, with large buttons for accessing the media player.)

Apple's patent sounds like the same thing. Defining a dozen more locations with different UIs and configurations is still the same concept, but with a different implementation. Not something that should be patentable.

Haven't you heard? Patents will now be issued to "first to file", not "first to invent"... so expect patents to be filed for even more seemingly ridiculous, seemingly duplicative things. I think the real reason behind this change is so the 'guvvermint' can collect immediately on patent applications, rather than wait.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

exactly what i thought when i read the 'news' as in 'old news' if you use android and car dock, home dock.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    iPhone needs a dedicated car dock pronto like tonto!

better yet, Steve needs to start a new "hobby": carputers. give microsoft sync a run for it's money.

or else the future of car user interfaces will be what they're doing with W8/WP8.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I would just be happy to get rid of that "This device is not optimized for this iPhone" message EVERY TIME I connect to the charger in my car or the clock radio in my kitchen. As if I didn't know that by now. Sheesh.

I agree with you on that. It's getting old, I'm not replacing the dock in question until it breaks.