Nielsen: Apple's iPhone growing, Android flat as smartphone sales surge

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

You fail to understand the concept of growth rates. Android has remained steady at about 27% of activations, while Apple has GROWN in percentage. That 17% was only 10% last quarter. Next quarter if may be 25%, the quarter after that, who knows. Or, maybe it could go down. But the point is, Apple's share of new activations is GROWING, while Android's share (while larger) appears to have leveled off.

This is all to be expected, anyway. Look at the iPhone on carriers where they compete with Android (primarily internationally until the Verizon iPhone). iPhone wins in a landslide over Android. The ONLY reason for Android's phenomenal growth has been a lack of iPhone on Verizon. Lo and behold! Now that Android really has to compete against the big dog, their growth plateaus. Wait until all the Droids sold prior to Feb 2011 come up for renewal - then we'll really see a bloodbath in Android's numbers. They only bought the Droid in the first place because the iPhone was unavailable.

I am afraid that youare simply wrong. Android is bigger in the rest of the world then it is in the us. In europe almost every providor sells iphone and android, and android is selling better then in the us. Bottom line is that android is now selling 500.000 phones each day, which represents an almost unprecident growth rate for a well established market. When i switched from ipohne to android just 1 year ago, android was selling about 100,000 phones per da y, as was apple, today apple has increased their sales rate by about double, while android has gone up 5 times.

You must also keep in mind that Neilsen is based on polls while other media market analysts look at actual sales numbers. It would seem that Neilsens rat ings are not jibing with actual sales numbers.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    kamekame Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

No - you're reading it wrong, it's saying two different things about the period

That 17% of sales of all handsets in the USA in the last quarter were iPhones compared to 27% which were Android.

That 38% of all handsets in use are smartphones, and of the smartphones 27% are iPhone.

To put it all into the same terms

27% of existing smartphones in the USA are iPhone, but 31% of recent smartphones sold were iPhones.

or

10.2% of existing handsets in the USA are iPhones, but 17% of recent handsets sold were iPhones.

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Quote:

"- This is important! Someone is wrong on the internet"

Yes.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Put the percentages against Profits and the iPhone dwarfs the Android Smart phone. Add into the mix the iPad and it's beyond embarrassing.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

I am afraid that youare simply wrong. Android is bigger in the rest of the world then it is in the us. In europe almost every providor sells iphone and android, and android is selling better then in the us. Bottom line is that android is now selling 500.000 phones each day, which represents an almost unprecident growth rate for a well established market. When i switched from ipohne to android just 1 year ago, android was selling about 100,000 phones per da y, as was apple, today apple has increased their sales rate by about double, while android has gone up 5 times.

You must also keep in mind that Neilsen is based on polls while other media market analysts look at actual sales numbers. It would seem that Neilsens rat ings are not jibing with actual sales numbers.

Yeah, problem is Apple only competes at the very high end. They need to get into the $299-$399 range unlocked if they want to take on Android head to head globally. But at least in the US the iPhone is doing very well!
  • Reply 25 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Put the percentages against Profits and the iPhone dwarfs the Android Smart phone. Add into the mix the iPad and it's beyond embarrassing.

And that's truly all that's important.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    Quote:

Don't count on it - gaining Verizon is a big deal, and we have yet to see what Apple's US sales figures look like when they launch a genuinely new product across both main carriers simultaneously.

As I said above the bigger news will be Apple having a lower cost iPhone on both carriers. An iPhone 4 for $99 on Verizon and AT&T will be a VERY compelling buy.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Among those who already own an iPhone, Android's market-leading 38 percent share is followed by Apple and the iPhone at 27 percent. RIM's BlackBerry line represents 21 percent of the market, while Windows Mobile is a distant fourth with 9 percent.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

What does this mean? Is it saying that iPhone owners are choosing Android for 38% of their new purchases and only 27% are buying an iPhone for their next phone? I find this hard to believe.

This statement only makes sense if you change it to read: "Among those who already own a smartphone, ..." Looks like just an editing goof to me.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

As I said above the bigger news will be Apple having a lower cost iPhone on both carriers. An iPhone 4 for $99 on Verizon and AT&T will be a VERY compelling buy.

With the 3GS selling for $49 and more competition with the Verizon iPhone in play I wonder if we wouldn't see it priced at $49 from AT&T. I suppose it depends on how much Apple lowers their asking price and how desperate AT&T is to get new post paid customers.

When did the 3GS start going on sale for $49?
  • Reply 29 of 92
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kame View Post

You haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

go on - enlighten me - find an actual error in my post and win a cookie - but if you can't be bothered to post a solid critique then I think we can all safely ignore you eh?
  • Reply 30 of 92
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

So, if I understand correctly, android had 27% of new activations and apple had 17%. It would appear that almost 2x as many people chose android as apple. I would hardly characterize that as apple leading growth. When apple starts recording more activations than android that would be news.

You made an account just to post this random troll post? FUN!
  • Reply 31 of 92
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Global trends != US trends. Globally Android is still growing, probably faster than ever. The news is in this instance is quite accurate, you're just reading it inaccurately.

It's only a market share. Apple doesn't care about that, they care about profit. Android is no profit for Google, all they care about is advertising in front of your face 24/7.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

This is all to be expected, anyway. Look at the iPhone on carriers where they compete with Android (primarily internationally until the Verizon iPhone). iPhone wins in a landslide over Android. The ONLY reason for Android's phenomenal growth has been a lack of iPhone on Verizon. Lo and behold! Now that Android really has to compete against the big dog, their growth plateaus. Wait until all the Droids sold prior to Feb 2011 come up for renewal - then we'll really see a bloodbath in Android's numbers. They only bought the Droid in the first place because the iPhone was unavailable.

According to Goldman Sachs, Verizon iPhone sales have not been the "bloodbath" you might expect. They're looking for just over 2M sold in the second quarter. With Verizon conservatively expecting 13M iPhones sold this calendar year, they potentially are in for a disappointing report to their shareholders.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...one-sales.html
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to Goldman Sachs, Verizon iPhone sales have not been the "bloodbath" you might expect. They're looking for just over 2M sold in the second quarter. With Verizon conservatively expecting 13M iPhones sold this calendar year, they potentially are in for a disappointing report to their shareholders.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...one-sales.html

That's interesting. That means that the $49 iPhone 3GS could have done more damage to Android than the Verizon iPhone has done.

This would add legitimacy to the rumors that Apple may continue selling the 3GS into next year...
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

That's interesting. That means that the $49 iPhone 3GS could have done more damage to Android than the Verizon iPhone has done.

This would add legitimacy to the rumors that Apple may continue selling the 3GS into next year...

That's my guess too. I wouldn't be surprised that the 3GS is outselling the 4G at ATT. If so, then the revenue from iPhone sales may be off a bit from analyst expectations, depending on what Apple is letting ATT have them for. Probably not the $49 they're selling them at.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

I am afraid that youare simply wrong. Android is bigger in the rest of the world then it is in the us. In europe almost every providor sells iphone and android, and android is selling better then in the us..

Do you have any source for that, because I remember reading the exact opposite a few weeks back? I can't imagine it to be true, I see iPhones all around me but only occasionally Android phones, most of which of the crappy variety by the way.

Anyway, I concur with what cmf2 wrote before me. Relative market share numbers are meaningless as long as the iPhone keeps hovering around it's current marketshare. It's profit that count, and absolute numbers, and the iPhone 4 is holding up much better than I expected personally, despite the fact that the iPhone 5 is around the corner. Even the 3GS is still outselling many Android phones today.

Imagine how many iPhones Apple could sell when the 5 is out, the 4 moved to be what the 3GS is now, and the 3GS (or maybe a smaller version of it) would be offered free on contract. I think no one at Apple is worried about anything right now.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With the 3GS selling for $49 and more competition with the Verizon iPhone in play I wonder if we wouldn't see it priced at $49 from AT&T. I suppose it depends on how much Apple lowers their asking price and how desperate AT&T is to get new post paid customers.

When did the 3GS start going on sale for $49?

AT&T cut the price in January. I'm sure Verizon will be watching AT&T closely to see where to price the iPhone 4 when the 5 arrives. Neither of them wants to lose business. A $49 iPhone 4 would be a no-brainer purchase.

FWIW Walmart is currently selling iPhone 4s for $147 after rebate.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's my guess too. I wouldn't be surprised that the 3GS is outselling the 4G at ATT. If so, then the revenue from iPhone sales may be off a bit from analyst expectations, depending on what Apple is letting ATT have them for. Probably not the $49 they're selling them at.

I believe the unlocked price of the 3GS is still $549 so that shows you what AT&T is likely paying Apple for the phone.

If Apple continues selling the 3GS or makes an iPhone-lite or iPhone Nano to take it's place sold free on contract that will be a game-changer for Apple in the US moreso than a LTE iPhone 5
  • Reply 38 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

It's only a market share. Apple doesn't care about that, they care about profit. Android is no profit for Google, all they care about is advertising in front of your face 24/7.

Grrrrrrrr
  • Reply 39 of 92
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And I happen to love Asian women, that's my biggest growth market.

Now, now; this is a family-oriented site.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Now, now; this is a family-oriented site.

Since when??