How did this guy get a column?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I'm not saying football players are out of shape or not in exceptional physical condition... they're just not endurance athletes. I think it is a bit more remarkable for somebody to be able to put out sustained physical exertion for up to six hours... and be able to do that six days in a row without taking a big performance hit.

I've known some football players, I wouldn't dare tell them they weren't athletes But I do believe that they are athletes... it's just Football has interruptions, and those interruptions give people time to recover for their next sprint. You don't get that in cycling unless you crash or something on your bike breaks

Now baseball... baseball is a pretty weak sport
  • Reply 22 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Generally the best sport, is the sport that we prefer ...
  • Reply 23 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>

Now baseball... baseball is a pretty weak sport </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, you can be out of shape and play baseball. A lot of very successful pitchers have been rather pudgy. That said, it's hard for a shortstop to go deep in the hole, turn and rifle a throw to first - just beating the runner - unless he's in good shape. Baseball is more of a skill sport, though. I think it demands a lot more hand to eye co-ordination than any other sport.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    There are actually some pretty humurous parts in that article... seems more like a Dvorak bashing the Mac type of article than anything he actually thinks is true.

He's OBVOUSLY never ridden a bike farther than from his house to the corner store. Not athletic? I'd like to see this jerk even FINISH a freakin' stage.

Amazing ignorance.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    pismo1pismo1 Posts: 26member
    hi- i don't know if bicycle riders are real atheletes, but i asked my neighbor, ernie, and he said that 99% of them are gay and not at all athelets..He is a certified or whatever prison guard and so he cannot lie. well that is what he told me..pismo1- don't kill me..
  • Reply 26 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by pismo1:

<strong>hi- i don't know if bicycle riders are real atheletes, but i asked my neighbor, ernie, and he said that 99% of them are gay and not at all athelets..He is a certified or whatever prison guard and so he cannot lie. well that is what he told me..pismo1- don't kill me.. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Can't argure with that.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Some of your moderators here are competitive cyclists...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    ro80ro80 Posts: 2member
    Blech, that article would have been funny had there been any humour in it...

Actually I think Lance's way of riding doesn't help in people understanding that it is really very hard to do. I mean, people like (most of) us could easily die halfway up the Mont Ventoux if we had ever gotten there in the first place. Lance is (or looks to be) always in control. And he uses that crazy leg rythm that makes most of the others look like they don't know what they're doing.

To continue a little in a thread that's probably beyond it's life span anyway... This is a (no, probably THE) EURO sport, we don't want All Stars, we want heroism, myth, failure, misfortune and scandal . Like Jan for example, last year. Gets too fat, does XTC and whatever. Tries to take on Armstrong, but fails. Tries again, ditto. Tries again and falls into a ravine, continues and still fails. That, IMHO is what the TDF is all about.

So to conclude this little rant, my advice to Lance Armstrong would be: For becoming a true legend... fail next year, fall, catch the flu or whatever. Lose to Botero or Beloki or even Jan. Then win the 2004 and 2005 edition. Immortality.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

Generally the best sport, is the sport that we prefer ... <hr></blockquote>

I agree wholeheartedly.

I love playing sports, even the ones I suck at (which, unfortunately, turns out to be most of them). Most sports are tough on a person especially if they're not trained for it.

Even driving (like F1, CART, etc.) is strenuous, and that's just sitting behind a wheel. Outside of a couple of exceptions (like Nigel "Does this seat make my butt look fat" Mansell), F1 drives are some of the most fit athletes in the world.

Okay-- I'll stop with the driving. I ride my bike everyday to work, but I'm in such bad shape I'm huffing and puffing when I get there.

Man, it's hard to stay coherent at 2:00 am while trying to play Spaceward Ho! and writing at the same time.