RIM forms committee to investigate CEO roles as exec's open letter calls for change

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

1) What's your take?

2) Why should we care? (Okay, let's assume we do)

3) If we should, why don't you summarise your "take" for us?

See #4, #8, #9, and #21 above.

Perhaps you've not been reading this thread? Would you like me to gather it all for you in one place?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See #4, #8, #9, and #21 above.

Perhaps you've not been reading this thread? Would you like me to gather it all for you in one place?

I missed your #4 for some reason, it seemed too succinct . I'll give you #4, but no. #21 was written *after* me asking you on your "take". So you can't include it in "Perhaps you've not been reading this thread" .

Nonetheless, with #4 and #21, colour me satisfied.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I think the CEO did quite well all things considered. They were never ever gonna hold on to their lead no matter who was in charge.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I think the CEO did quite well all things considered. They were never ever gonna hold on to their lead no matter who was in charge.

I don't know about that. RIM have some pretty bright people. With better direction and good decisions, who knows? At least they could go down fighting.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    RIM is in a really tough spot. It doesn't sound like a great proposition for any CEO to try and turn this thing around unless they really have some new and promising ideas percolating in the R&D dept. When SJ returned to Apple he managed to turn it around because his whole being is about creativity, perfection and salesmanship. He pared everything back to the core values as they once had been and pursued his goals single mindedly and with amazing clarity. SJ is clearly an amazing business man but its as if that part is just incidental. I am not sure that RIM, or anyone at RIM can feel as passionately about what they do and what they produce. If they don't have great products and in the pipeline they are screwed. Oh, and they REALLY need a marketing genius who can think different...ly.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

RIM is in a really tough spot. It doesn't sound like a great proposition for any CEO to try and turn this thing around unless they really have some new and promising ideas percolating in the R&D dept. When SJ returned to Apple he managed to turn it around because his whole being is about creativity, perfection and salesmanship. He pared everything back to the core values as they once had been and pursued his goals single mindedly and with amazing clarity. SJ is clearly an amazing business man but its as if that part is just incidental. I am not sure that RIM, or anyone at RIM can feel as passionately about what they do and what they produce. If they don't have great products and in the pipeline they are screwed. Oh, and they REALLY need a marketing genius who can think different...ly.

The weird thing about this whole RIM debacle is that Apple had a very different history. They had some amazing stuff for a good ten years, then Steve got kicked out and things got worse. Steve came back and it took another good ten years to fully realise his immense vision.

RIM came from nowhere to prominence only about five years ago. And clearly they lost their way after only about four years of blinding success but nonetheless are still profitable now and are growing in some global markets.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Steve had to resurrect a what was pretty much a dead body. Whoever is in charge of RIM just has to stop it from drinking poison and start eating healthy.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:

My nephew works in R & D at RIM. He claims that they have some really good stuff in the labs. He doesn't offer details and I don't ask. I hope that he's right. But even if they do, they still may have an uphill battle.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    belunosbelunos Posts: 23member
    I'm sure everyone else will offer there thoughts on RIM.. so I'll do the same ;-)

I think their failure stems from thinking the iPhone would never be a threat to their business customers. I remember it all from the beginning through the eyes of the company I work for (a big'un).. somewhere around 2.4, there was a mad, almost desperate rush in my company to replace your BB with an iPhone. I mean crazed, like out of this world need! IT tried like hell to resist it at first, but it didn't take long for us to give up our BBs as well. And that trend has yet to stop, and has barely even slowed. I'm really surprised when I run across one these days.

I dunno if the young'ens here will recall, but it was like when 3DFX rested on their laurels and upstart nVidia came from behind to basically eat their lunch in a very short amount of time.

Now, every 'innovation' since the Bold has felt like a kneejerk reaction to what's happening in the market. Thing is, I think RIM could probably come back from this. But it's going to take possibly sitting out a cycle, having patience, and coming out with a finished product that is actually innovative rather than iterative.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

you said "core values"

and you said "pared"
  • Reply 30 of 36
    See, when you're rearranging the deckchairs, it's terribly important you do so with absolute and transparent fairness, otherwise people will complain.

A Committee is the best way to do this.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    RIMM is way too late and is dying slowly. I will not be surprised that companies like Apple, Google, HP, Microsoft...etc are actively recruit RIMM's best minds away. It's really heartbroken to see RIMM has falling so far and so hard!!

RIMM R.I.P.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"These people aren’t hypnotized zombies, they simply love beautifully designed products that are user centric and work how they are supposed to work."

Adobe, you listening to this?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Adobe, you listening to this?

Air (and of course flash) is their future? Is that gas I smell?

• Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

My nephew works in R & D at RIM. He claims that they have some really good stuff in the labs. He doesn't offer details and I don't ask. I hope that he's right. But even if they do, they still may have an uphill battle.

So did Xerox back in the late 70's, but it took someone with vision (Jobs) to bring their ideas to fruition.

I don't see anyone in RIM with that kind of vision. There are only a handful of such people in the entire computer world, and none of them work for RIM.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Apart from the content of that letter, does anybody know if it is real?
  • Reply 36 of 36
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

John Gruber's take on this is great

Which take? Link?