Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

RIM is in total frigging meltdown now, check this out at BGR

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-l...es-around-him/

For the record by the way I disagree with this paragraph

Let?s obsess about what is best for the end user. We often make product decisions based on strategic alignment, partner requests or even legal advice ? the end user doesn?t care. We simply have to admit that Apple is nailing this and it is one of the reasons they have people lining up overnight at stores around the world, and products sold out for months. These people aren?t hypnotized zombies, they simply love beautifully designed products that are user centric and work how they are supposed to work.

I am a hypnotized zombie and proud of it! Now somebody get me some iBrains.

On a more serious note I would say that Apple is affecting Android but only by constraining their growth, there's no evidence yet that Apple and Android pose serious existential threats to each other.

Was there something you misunderstood about that quote? Because he's saying "we are NOT" hypnotized zombies... which goes against the grain of most tech journalists and bloggers that don't understand why we do what we do as Apple fans.

Just sayin'
  • Reply 82 of 92
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nokia's Symbian OS was activated on more phones than all the vendors on all the carriers in the world using Android.

That's not true. Android has overtaken Symbian in the past couple of quarters. iOS is predicted to overtake Symbian this quarter.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

Yeah, well, you need to wake up. Yeah, I understand, Apple lost less market share this quarter than last. But they still lost market share. How is that leading growth? Of course, it will all be moot in another year when apple's market share continues to decline to the point that even fan boys can't explain it away. Then, it will be the same old apple "exclusivity" arguments like it is with their PCs.

Except for the complete sentences, I could swear this is tekstud.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

That's not true. Android has overtaken Symbian in the past couple of quarters. iOS is predicted to overtake Symbian this quarter.

Are you talking smartphones feature phones or all handsets? I'm pretty sure Symbian still has a healthy lead when all handsets are included.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    ohreallyohreally Posts: 27member
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...#disqus_thread

Hang on a minute, one analyst said.

"You can't look at these numbers and say that the momentum of Android is slowing," said Jack Gold, a telecommunications analyst at J. Gold Associates, pointing to the increase in the numbers gap between Android and Apple among all smartphone owners.

Although the iPhone's share of new buyers climbed, Google not only retained its lock on the top spot in smartphone ownership, but increased that share, according to Nielsen.

During the months March through May, Android devices accounted for 38% of all U.S. smartphones, up two percentage points from its share of 36% during the three months of February through April.

Meanwhile, Apple's slice of the smartphone U.S. user base grew just one point, from 26% to 27%, in the same period.

The 11-point difference -- a point higher than earlier -- shows the iPhone is not driving smartphone sales, said Gold.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

So, if I understand correctly, android had 27% of new activations and apple had 17%. It would appear that almost 2x as many people chose android as apple. I would hardly characterize that as apple leading growth. When apple starts recording more activations than android that would be news.

My thoughts exactly. While I like Apple and my iPhone, this article seems to be having a lot of fun with statistics. So, basically, Android's percent in the marketplace is growing faster than Apple's but Apple is accelerating so it might overtake it... if we extrapolate. Extrapolations have their own issues.

So, interesting to see, but not quite what the article seems to imply.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Was there something you misunderstood about that quote? Because he's saying "we are NOT" hypnotized zombies... which goes against the grain of most tech journalists and bloggers that don't understand why we do what we do as Apple fans.

Just sayin'

I know - I'm disagreeing with him - where are my damned iBrains?
  • Reply 88 of 92
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A few months ago it was the iPhone that had "plateaued". The next quarterly results may reverse things again. Ebb and flow, Ebb and flow. . .

I agree with the context of exchanging leads (at least in growth, because Android has a strong lead in % sales right now). But it's not a picture of ebb and flow, because neither OS is receding. RIM is the one ebbing.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Palm should be kicking themselves. They could've done this. Granted not as well as apple, but certainly better than MS, RIM, Moto, etc. What a missed opportunity!

Best

So true. But if memory serves, Handspring first came out with a phone attachment for the Visor - their clone of the Palm Pilot?
  • Reply 90 of 92
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm not sure why we continue with this insistence on walling off "smartphones" as a hard and fast distinction. Apple makes a mobile operating system, which currently runs on three form factors: iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.

That mobile operating system, iOS, is dong very well indeed, even against a surging Android. Someone remarked that Android is doing "even better worldwide", but in point of fact iOS is soundly trouncing Android in Europe and, if I recall correctly, every other market outside of Argentina and India.

I realize I'll be accused of "cherry picking" the stats that flatter iOS, but I would say remaining fixated on "smartphones" is actually the distortion. You don't generally hear about Windows' percentage share of particular form factors, why should iOS be any different? Apple is building out a platform for what is arguably going to be the computing space of the 21st century. Smartphones just happen to have had a distribution model that favors heavily subsidized and ubiquitous, so we've seen the fastest ramp-up of penetration there, but it certainly doesn't end there.

Given the relative performance to date of the iPad vs. the competition, it seems unwise to get unduly mesmerized by phone market shares, any more than claims of Apple having some kind of overwhelming lead in "all in one desktop" sales are likely to be a very useful metric.
  • Reply 91 of 92

Ah, nice to come back to an old thread with new perspective.

Seems that in the last year apple has fallen even further behind, despite all the excitement in this post.

• Reply 92 of 92

Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

Ah, nice to come back to an old thread with new perspective.

Seems that in the last year apple has fallen even further behind, despite all the excitement in this post.

What's your point? Don't necro threads.