Rumor: Suppliers preparing for October launch of Apple's iPhone 5, iPad 3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    One of the biggest things Apple could do would be to profitably bring the entry level price down to $399 for the holidays. It would literally blow the doors off the competition But important - they need to figure out if they could maintain a 30%+ margin. I'm not sure if that is possible or not

The iPad 2 is fantastic. I don't see a need to rush another incremental product out the door. Especially when they have been so challenged meeting the current demand. And, also, seeing how the Android/Playbook/HP efforts have failed
  • Reply 22 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I call bullshit on the iPad 3 release. Production in q1 and release early in q2 (Apple's fiscal)... most likely.

Ok, I agree that it would be remarkable for Apple to launch a 3rd model so soon, but it's not outside the realms of the posslble.

a) Apple needs to ramp up production of tablets amazingly fast to deny Android any space in the market. That means that Apple needs to build completely new production facilities and get additional component supply. That provides an opportunity to build a model update.

b) By moving very fast at this early stage Apple can leave other tablet makers looking ridiculous and inflict lasting damage on their brands.

c) This kind of 'shock and awe' release schedule will push other tablet makers teams to breaking point. They're already working flat out trying to get a tablet product up and running, and the result is generally shoddy products. How much worse is the pressure if you know you're aiming for a fast moving target?

I'm not sure it's actually possible for Apple to launch an iPad-3 at this point, but if it is then there are good reasons for them to do so.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I love new gear and products, but an iPad 3 just after the iPad 2 is going to alienate customers, especially if it's significantly better. I literally just bought an iPad 2 for my wife for her birthday next week (I have the original) which I'd have done regardless of knowing a new one may or may not arrive in 4 months time.

Even so, releasing a new product more than once a year on these consumer devices will harm the longevity of the device and eventually annoy customers.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I think the iPad is too constrained for it to make sense to ramp down production and ramp up production of a new model when it has had less than a year on the market. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 3 appeared in June 2012 now the iPhone has moved to September.
  • Reply 25 of 107
    The rumors this year have been more absurd than ever.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I find a 2nd new iPad unlikely for 2011 but if they do they will have the tablet market locked down for the foreseeable future.

I agree. Apple would really keep their knee on the neck of other tablet manufacturers if they released an iPad 3 just before the holidays. If anyone could do it, it would be Apple!
  • Reply 27 of 107
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I'm just curious how moving the LED flash two inches away is going to reduce redeye.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    An October launch for the next iPhone? Why does it keep getting pushed back? This had better be just another unfounded rumor, or I'll...do nothing other than whine.

Of course, if they release a new iPad in October, I'll probably be one of the few people who would cheer, since I don't have an iPad yet and have been holding off on getting one until notifications were changed and they will be with iOS 5. So if a new iPad came with the new iOS, I'd be thrilled.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Even so, releasing a new product more than once a year on these consumer devices will harm the longevity of the device and eventually annoy customers.

Longevity is more determined by how long the device is supported than by the existence of new models. Apple is competing with the Android space and products are launched there every few weeks, so even a 6 month release cycle would be much slower than the industry average.
  • Reply 30 of 107
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I give the chances of the iPad3 shipping in 2011 at below 5%. The only way that can happen is if there would be a sudden and unexpected increase in the yields for 9.7" 2048x1536 LEDs.

An iPad 3 will not ship before the end of the year. The iPad 2.5 on the other hand...

Here is my theory, the original iPad 2 was suppose to have the high res display, which would explain why it has the CPU/GPU horsepower it currently has. Technical difficulties with the LCD panel prevented the iPad 2 from initially shipping with the display.

Apple's plan is to launch another model of the iPad 2 with the retina display (name to be determined) instead of equipping all models of the iPad 2 with the high res display because there will not be enough capacity on the new screen to include it across the board. This also provides Apple with the first opportunity to start offering a more varied line up of iPad models.

In short, the high res iPad 2 will ship this fall. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

-kpluck
  • Reply 31 of 107
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Don't worry. 95-98% of all Apple rumors end up being false.

This "iPad 3 in 2011" rumor is amongst them.

Agreed. Could also be an attempt by competitors to slow sales of the iPad2....

PS: Just saw that monstrosity had first dibs on that insight....
  • Reply 32 of 107
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Longevity is more determined by how long the device is supported than by the existence of new models. Apple is competing with the Android space and products are launched there every few weeks, so even a 6 month release cycle would be much slower than the industry average.

I'd say it's more likely how long the device functions as designed. Given the original iPad already splutters with iOS 4 (let alone iOS 5)... it makes me wonder how well the iPad 2 will stand up to new software.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'm just curious how moving the LED flash two inches away is going to reduce redeye.

Think of it in terms of ray tracing. The light from the flash is passing through the pupil, bouncing off the retina and then back out and into the camera, by offsetting the flash it's not going to strike directly into the lens - ie. the red-eye effect is only visible very close to the flash. The further away the flash, the less red eye.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    What is Apple keeps iPad 2 coming, drops the price point and then adds "iPad Pro" to the mix with the higher res, thinner, better, etc. That would thwart any sense that the competition has about "going after the enterprise" market. Of course the cost would be higher, but the components cost would come down eventually.
  • Reply 35 of 107
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

One of the biggest things Apple could do would be to profitably bring the entry level price down to $399 for the holidays. It would literally blow the doors off the competition But important - they need to figure out if they could maintain a 30%+ margin. I'm not sure if that is possible or not

Nonsense. They're already 'blowing the doors off the competition' -- why should they?

And, it would not be possible to maintain the 30% margin.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

It would be unusual in the iPhone/iPad production space, but it would definitely give the competition even more of a slap-down. The danger is that they don't do it and Samsung puts out a 2560x1600 tablet and makes Apple's iPad screens look terrible in comparison. That's not where Apple wants to be.

Suddenly Samsung can legitimately run ads showing a view of a tablet that looks like an iPad through rose-tinted blurry glasses, and then the glasses get pulled off, things get sharp, and you're looking at a Samsung tablet with ultra-res or whatever dorky name they're giving it. Sure, another tablet that you can't remember the name of, but still... and not that I want to give Samsung any ad ideas...

I think it would be hilarious if Samsung made a 3rd (kind of 4th) release of thevsame failing product in one year. It would be especially funny if they thought resolution would change that.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I think the iPad is too constrained for it to make sense to ramp down production and ramp up production of a new model when it has had less than a year on the market. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad 3 appeared in June 2012 now the iPhone has moved to September.

They would continue making the iPad 2 at full speed, and the higher-res model would cost more and be scarce to begin with, don't you think?

DigiTimes gives no indication that 3 would replace 2, and they seem flatly certain this is happening, judging by the tone of the story. Curiouser and curiouser.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I call bullshit on the iPad 3 release. Production in q1 and release early in q2 (Apple's fiscal)... most likely.

... and an announcement of the iPhone 5 in September to be released in October. More bullshit... unless it's announced on Friday September 30th and released on Saturday October 1st. There is no way Apple will have a long wait between announcement and release... this aint the iPhone 1.

Well, Steve did say iOS5 in the fall( Sept 21st-Dec20th). You know how Steve likes to have things neat and tidey.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

They would continue making the iPad 2 at full speed, and the higher-res model would cost more and be scarce to begin with, don't you think?

DigiTimes gives no indication that 3 would replace 2, and they seem flatly certain this is happening, judging by the tone of the story. Curiouser and curiouser.

I'd think it would need a new A chip with 1) a faster CPU , 2) more RAM, and 3) a faster GPU to offer a good enough experience on that display. They would also need to have a new SDK ready so that devs can immediately start taking advantage of the display.
  • Reply 40 of 107
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Think of it in terms of ray tracing. The light from the flash is passing through the pupil, bouncing off the retina and then back out and into the camera, by offsetting the flash it's not going to strike directly into the lens - ie. the red-eye effect is only visible very close to the flash. The further away the flash, the less red eye.

While what you say is true; but 2 inches. Is that really going to help? Plus, really got to watch 'how you hold it'. Generally a noticable angle of incedence of the flash is needed (say a couple degrees or more?) to reduce red-eye. Picture a photag holding flash over head as an example.