Rumor: Suppliers preparing for October launch of Apple's iPhone 5, iPad 3

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I'd think it would need a new A chip with 1) a faster CPU , 2) more RAM, and 3) a faster GPU to offer a good enough experience on that display. They would also need to have a new SDK ready so that devs can immediately start taking advantage of the display.



    Realist!
  • Reply 42 of 107
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    iPad 3, I call BS
  • Reply 43 of 107
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    I, as a consumer would really wish Apple would confirm/deny these things. I'm actually (or was) about to buy an IPad2 and now am waiting to see what happens. It's not really that hard to post an upgrade schedule or something without revealing the details to maintain product security.
  • Reply 44 of 107
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post


    While what you say is true; but 2 inches. Is that really going to help? Plus, really got to watch 'how you hold it'. Generally a noticable angle of incedence of the flash is needed (say a couple degrees or more?) to reduce red-eye. Picture a photag holding flash over head as an example.



    The benefit will be greater when the subject is close to the camera, which, coincientally is when redeye is worst because the flash is more intense at close distances. The farther away the subject, the more directly the flash will enter their eye, so you are correct that 2 inches won't help much on farther away subjects. But the reflection will also be weaker due to the distance.



    Of course, the downside is that as you move the flash away from the camera lens, you also start to create shaddows that the camera will pick up. Again, the problem will be more pronounced with a close subject. So your close in photo of your friend might end up with their nose casting a shadow on their face.



    The best option would be to put the lens in the middle of the iPhone on the long edge, and then putting a flash on both sides of the lens at the far edges. Each flash can be half as powerful and provide even lighting. Of course, there's no room to put the camera module behind the screen, so that won't happen either. You just can't win.
  • Reply 45 of 107
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    c) This kind of 'shock and awe' release schedule will push other tablet makers teams to breaking point.



    That is a really unfortunate reference. I hope whatever strategy Apple chooses is not as misdirected, counterproductive, and financially ruinous as that other 'shock and awe' campaign.
  • Reply 46 of 107
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    Ok, I agree that it would be remarkable for Apple to launch a 3rd model so soon, but it's not outside the realms of the posslble.



    a) Apple needs to ramp up production of tablets amazingly fast to deny Android any space in the market. That means that Apple needs to build completely new production facilities and get additional component supply. That provides an opportunity to build a model update.



    b) By moving very fast at this early stage Apple can leave other tablet makers looking ridiculous and inflict lasting damage on their brands.



    c) This kind of 'shock and awe' release schedule will push other tablet makers teams to breaking point. They're already working flat out trying to get a tablet product up and running, and the result is generally shoddy products. How much worse is the pressure if you know you're aiming for a fast moving target?



    I'm not sure it's actually possible for Apple to launch an iPad-3 at this point, but if it is then there are good reasons for them to do so.



    You make some good points and they're very similar to what I've been thinking lately.



    1) Anyone and everyone calling "bull" on this rumor are simply not paying attention to the market. Stop blinding yourselves with Apple keynote slogans and "tradition". If anything, people should be more inclined to believe such a rumor with Apple already breaking a 4 year tradition of having a new iPhone ready-for-market in the June/July timeframe.



    2. Competition. While Apple is dominating the tablet space, that is not a given for this holiday season. Even though I feel the iPad 2 is above and beyond all possible alternatives, that doesn't mean every paying customer will think the same way. Last year, Apple had ZERO competition leading into the holiday quarter. This year is not the same story. Even though the competition is garbage, and almost identically priced, there are iPad alternatives leading into Q4 of 2011. If you haven't noticed, the Xoom and the Galaxy tab are being heavily advertised (much more than iPad), and the ads are not half bad (meaning they are utterly misleading about the product's abilities, enough to convince you that its as good as the iPad).



    3. Availability. As far as I know, you still can't get an iPad 2. Now, that is a bit of a snarky statement, as you certainly can get one...if you order online and wait...or if you call around to every store within 5 hours of you, and beat out the others vying for the same inventory unit. When you can walk into any Apple store and just "buy one", then I consider the product "available". This unavailability to the general shopper is likely to drive up sales of craplets, unless Apple can get its inventory situation under control by September.



    4. Apple is undoubtedly ramping up production of iPad 2 to be ready for this holiday season, but they may very well be preparing to introduce an addition to the iPad lineup. A new iPad, perhaps called iPad 3, but with a higher resolution display, better cameras, etc. etc. If this new iPad is being sourced from new suppliers and being built by different factories it might solve both of Apple's tablet concerns going into Q4...squash any potential competition, spark the "new" factor again, and patch inventory holes.
  • Reply 47 of 107
    Its quite obvious the iPhone is up for refresh. All rumors abut the iPhone production line point to a decrease in production capacity in the near term.



    So what about the iPad production rumors? Its the other way around. Apple has had the mother all all backlog for a device with no credible competition on the market and it plans to sell as many as they can produce.



    It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have another iPad appear in 2011. Both the iPad 2and the iPhone 4 are smash hits. Its the iPod touch that will get refreshed in the Fall and its the iPod touch that lacks unique identity.



    I am still find it fascinated to find out that people who know very well what the iPad and iPhone are, have no idea what the iPod touch is. (at least in my country)



    I am 100% certain that had Apple releases a new iPod Touch sized round two hand - two thumb use with a catchy name it will at least double it sales.



    Two hand - two thumb means that you when you hold it in landscape, the thumb of your one hand can reach about 60% of the screen. This translates in to about a 5" screen - a perfect size for a pocket iOS device that is not a phone.



    Since this device will be perfect for all the games and apps in the entertainment category, i would bet on a catchy one word name actually describing its main purpose, hence: iPlay



    Screen resolution could be the current iPad one bringing it to retina standart for its expected usage distance. Using 1024x768 will also be a great developer suport trick as all devs have to do would be to mix their iPhone 4 App interface with iPad size graphics to create an iPlay optimized app.



    I have been onto this posibility since February: http://lantinian.blogspot.com/2011/0...ipod-play.html
  • Reply 48 of 107
    iPad 3 in 2011 is wrong. WRONG. Any who thinks otherwise lives in a fantasy world.



    iPad 2.5 is wrong. It will go to 3. This is a "simple" consumer device and Apple will keep it that way. Releasing major rev < 1 year will make people mad.
  • Reply 49 of 107
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantinian View Post


    Its quite obvious the iPhone is up for refresh. All rumors abut the iPhone production line point to a decrease in production capacity in the near term.



    So what about the iPad production rumors? Its the other way around. Apple has had the mother all all backlog for a device with no credible competition on the market and it plans to sell as many as they can produce.



    It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have another iPad appear in 2011. Both the iPad 2and the iPhone 4 are smash hits. Its the iPod touch that will get refreshed in the Fall and its the iPod touch that lacks unique identity.



    I am still find it fascinated to find out that people who know very well what the iPad and iPhone are, have no idea what the iPod touch is. (at least in my country)



    I am 100% certain that had Apple releases a new iPod Touch sized round two hand - two thumb use with a catchy name it will at least double it sales.



    Two hand - two thumb means that you when you hold it in landscape, the thumb of your one hand can reach about 60% of the screen. This translates in to about a 5" screen - a perfect size for a pocket iOS device that is not a phone.



    Since this device will be perfect for all the games and apps in the entertainment category, i would bet on a catchy one word name actually describing its main purpose, hence: iPlay



    Screen resolution could be the current iPad one bringing it to retina standart for its expected usage distance. Using 1024x768 will also be a great developer suport trick as all devs have to do would be to mix their iPhone 4 App interface with iPad size graphics to create an iPlay optimized app.



    I have been onto this posibility since February: http://lantinian.blogspot.com/2011/0...ipod-play.html



    I've been thinking similar thoughts for a while now myself.



    I have a better name than "iPlay" though .... "iPod."



    This is a long-shot guess, but ... it *could* be that the recent spate of buying up web domains and registering the "iPod" as a trademark in various countries (both things they haven't done before), means Apple might be moving forward with the iPod name *just* for the touch versions, and re-branding the old junk with some other name.



    Maybe the iPod nano and mini merge to become a single device that's an "iPlayer" ???
  • Reply 50 of 107
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What I really don't get is the reasoning most of you have for why iPad 3 can't launch this year. Not of it makes any sense, whatsoever.



    No Competition? That's utterly and completely wrong. Please don't misunderstand....I don't personally believe that any product on the market is anywhere NEAR the iPad 2....but that doesn't mean a damn thing in terms of the overall market. Turn on your TV (can't believe I'm suggesting that), the amount of advertising for Xoom and Galaxy tab has to have Apple's interest, if it not yours.
  • Reply 51 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I'd think it would need a new A chip with 1) a faster CPU , 2) more RAM, and 3) a faster GPU to offer a good enough experience on that display. They would also need to have a new SDK ready so that devs can immediately start taking advantage of the display.



    It's unclear whether it would need a faster CPU, it might need a faster GPU - but even that isn't clear - if Apple were to double resolution in both directinos then they could continue to render high 3D stuff like games in the lower resolution without horrible artifacting.



    SDK is sorted, people have already spotted stuff in iOS 5 that suggests software support for a higher resolution iPad, and also the resolution doubling was already effectively supported as that is what happened between iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.



    Really from a tech perspective it probably comes down to the GPU and component availability.
  • Reply 52 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post


    An iPad 3 will not ship before the end of the year. The iPad 2.5 on the other hand...



    Here is my theory, the original iPad 2 was suppose to have the high res display, which would explain why it has the CPU/GPU horsepower it currently has. Technical difficulties with the LCD panel prevented the iPad 2 from initially shipping with the display.



    Apple's plan is to launch another model of the iPad 2 with the retina display (name to be determined) instead of equipping all models of the iPad 2 with the high res display because there will not be enough capacity on the new screen to include it across the board. This also provides Apple with the first opportunity to start offering a more varied line up of iPad models.



    In short, the high res iPad 2 will ship this fall. That's my story and I am sticking to it.



    -kpluck



    That actually makes a lot of sense, like an "iPad 2R" of sorts (R for resolution?)



    I hope it doesn't come to that, however. I'm off on holiday at the end of August and plan to get an iPad 2 at the NY Apple Store (Exchange Rate from British Pounds to US Dollars ) - If they do release an improved iPad2 two months down the line I will run my head through a brick wall
  • Reply 53 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post


    While what you say is true; but 2 inches. Is that really going to help? Plus, really got to watch 'how you hold it'. Generally a noticable angle of incedence of the flash is needed (say a couple degrees or more?) to reduce red-eye. Picture a photag holding flash over head as an example.



    Red eye is a problem precisely because of the peculiarly exact optics of the situation.



    light comes in from the flash, is focused by the eye, hits the retina, bounces, is refocused by the eye, travels back along the exact same path (assuming you're looking right into the camera) and then hits the camera's optics.



    The reason why the red is so intense is because of that refocusing, normally light that strikes a surface that isn't flat and polished, such as the human body, is scattered in every direction, but in this instance it is coming back in a collimated beam.



    So yes, 2 inches could be significant - not enough to totally remove the problem perhaps, but enough to significantly reduce it.
  • Reply 54 of 107
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

    Nonsense. They're already 'blowing the doors off the competition' -- why should they?



    And, it would not be possible to maintain the 30% margin.



    It would. The Retina display iPads can all be $100-$200 more expensive at all levels ( controlling for other factors) and the iPad non-retina displays can then reduce in price. Margins are maintained if for every $100 cheaper entry level iPad you sell a $100 more expensive iPad.



    In fact this is what I think APple will do:



    1) Have a classic iPad and iPhone line. no retina display.

    2) Have an iPad HD line. Retina display.

    3) Price from $399 to $1,199 for top of line retina.
  • Reply 55 of 107
    sowardsoward Posts: 33member
    I think it could go like this....



    Lots of iPad3 and iPhone5 rumors are put into circulation and talked up for a couple of months.



    no iPad3 arrives in Sept/Oct, or is really 'iPad 2.5' or similar. Same for iPhone5



    then, AAPL dives because Apple 'missed a target', 'underperformed', 'failed to get a device to market in time', etc.
  • Reply 56 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soward View Post


    I think it could go like this....



    Lots of iPad3 and iPhone5 rumors are put into circulation and talked up for a couple of months.



    no iPad3 arrives in Sept/Oct, or is really 'iPad 2.5' or similar. Same for iPhone5



    then, AAPL dives because Apple 'missed a target', 'underperformed', 'failed to get a device to market in time', etc.



    No, this is how it'll go:



    Stock climbs before [insert Apple event here]. Event happens. Stock immediately plummets even if Apple's offerings were better than the rumors.



    Because that's what always happens.
  • Reply 57 of 107
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post


    An iPad 3 will not ship before the end of the year. The iPad 2.5 on the other hand...



    Here is my theory, the original iPad 2 was suppose to have the high res display, which would explain why it has the CPU/GPU horsepower it currently has. Technical difficulties with the LCD panel prevented the iPad 2 from initially shipping with the display.



    Apple's plan is to launch another model of the iPad 2 with the retina display (name to be determined) instead of equipping all models of the iPad 2 with the high res display because there will not be enough capacity on the new screen to include it across the board. This also provides Apple with the first opportunity to start offering a more varied line up of iPad models.



    In short, the high res iPad 2 will ship this fall. That's my story and I am sticking to it.



    -kpluck



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    It would. The Retina display iPads can all be $100-$200 more expensive at all levels ( controlling for other factors) and the iPad non-retina displays can then reduce in price. Margins are maintained if for every $100 entry iPad you sell a $100 more expensive iPad.



    In fact this is what I think APple will do:



    1) Have a classic iPad and iPhone line. no retina display.

    2) Have an iPad HD line. Retina display.

    3) Price from $399 to $1,199 for top of line retina.



    If an iPad is unveiled this fall this is exactly what we'll see. Apple will just sell the current iPad alongside a new iPad 2 RD.



    Drop the price of the iPad 2 and offer the high-res one and the competition won't know what to do. It'll be game over before it even starts
  • Reply 58 of 107
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantinian View Post


    Its quite obvious the iPhone is up for refresh. All rumors abut the iPhone production line point to a decrease in production capacity in the near term.



    So what about the iPad production rumors? Its the other way around. Apple has had the mother all all backlog for a device with no credible competition on the market and it plans to sell as many as they can produce.



    It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have another iPad appear in 2011. Both the iPad 2and the iPhone 4 are smash hits. Its the iPod touch that will get refreshed in the Fall and its the iPod touch that lacks unique identity.



    I am still find it fascinated to find out that people who know very well what the iPad and iPhone are, have no idea what the iPod touch is. (at least in my country)



    I am 100% certain that had Apple releases a new iPod Touch sized round two hand - two thumb use with a catchy name it will at least double it sales.



    Two hand - two thumb means that you when you hold it in landscape, the thumb of your one hand can reach about 60% of the screen. This translates in to about a 5" screen - a perfect size for a pocket iOS device that is not a phone.



    Since this device will be perfect for all the games and apps in the entertainment category, i would bet on a catchy one word name actually describing its main purpose, hence: iPlay



    Screen resolution could be the current iPad one bringing it to retina standart for its expected usage distance. Using 1024x768 will also be a great developer suport trick as all devs have to do would be to mix their iPhone 4 App interface with iPad size graphics to create an iPlay optimized app.



    I have been onto this posibility since February: http://lantinian.blogspot.com/2011/0...ipod-play.html



    I see this as a possibility too, but I don't know if the type of App fragmentation that would bring would be worth it. As far as screen resolution it should share its res with the iPhone/iPod line if it's going to be made to play iPod Touch games though.
  • Reply 59 of 107
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    iPhone 5 will have a 4 inch 1080x720 resolution screen. Advertised as having a High Definition Retina Display
  • Reply 60 of 107
    sowardsoward Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, this is how it'll go:



    Stock climbs before [insert Apple event here]. Event happens. Stock immediately plummets even if Apple's offerings were better than the rumors.



    Because that's what always happens.



    well, sure, that's what often happens, though lately it's been more like 'stock stays marginally level before event, then drops during and after the event'.



    building up additional large-scale product rumors even when no specific large-scale event is on the horizon -- now they are double dipping!
Sign In or Register to comment.