Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Right on time for its scheduled launch in July, Apple on Friday seeded the Golden Master build of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to developers.

The download is currently available on Apple's developer site. The term "Golden Master" means that the software is likely a final build that will be identical to the software that will be released to the general public, barring the discovery of any last-minute bugs or problems.

People familiar with the software said it is known as 11A511. Scheduled for launch sometime this month, Mac OS X Lion will only be available for upgraders through the Mac App Store for $29.

Apple has been steadily paving the way for the launch of Lion. Just last week, it released Mac OS X 10.6.8 for Snow Leopard, which packed enhancements in the Mac App Store in preparation for Lion.

The release of Lion may also be accompanied by a hardware refresh in Apple's Mac lineup. As first reported by AppleInsider, Apple is holding off on the release of new Mac hardware -- namely, a refreshed MacBook Air with Thunderbolt -- until Lion becomes publicly available.

Also overdue for a refresh is Apple's entry-level MacBook notebook. While there haven't been any specific rumors of a hardware refresh, this week AppleInsider noted that stock of the polycarbonate white MacBook has become extremely low.

Prior to Friday, the last major update to early Lion builds provided to developers came in the form of Preview 3, which was issued in mid-May. That build enabled the Reading List feature and adding a dedicated app for the Mission Control window management feature.

With Lion, Apple will bring a number of popular features from its highly successful iPad back to the Mac platform. New additions include full-screen applications, auto-save functionality, an iOS-style homescreen, and new multi-touch gestures.

For more on Lion, see AppleInsider's extensive Inside Mac OS X Lion series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 152
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    Maybe the new Airs will be released Wednesday.
  • Reply 2 of 152
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I wonder what the release date will be. And I'm still curious about getting an OS without a DVD. I'm really looking forward to Lion. I switched from a mouse to a Magic Trackpad in anticipation of this release (and because my MX Revolution was finally dying).
  • Reply 3 of 152
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I wonder what the release date will be. And I'm still curious about getting an OS without a DVD. I'm really looking forward to Lion. I switched from a mouse to a Magic Trackpad in anticipation of this release (and because my MX Revolution was finally dying).

I hope you love the Mac Trackpad. I do. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't run on the Lenvovo-POS Windoze machine that I have to use at work!!
  • Reply 4 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

It speeds up the time between GM and release by at least a couple weeks. If this is really the GM then it could come as early as next week.
  • Reply 5 of 152
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    This lends credence to the rumours about the launch being next week then. I'm hoping that is indeed the case, I want me some OS X Lion-y goodness.
  • Reply 6 of 152
    Any developers out there who get a chance (or have had the chance) to check compatibility with Logic Pro 9? I (and many others I'm sure) would appreciate the heads up

I'm eagerly anticipating Lion but I use Logic daily and can't afford it being glitchy or not running!
  • Reply 7 of 152
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

I hope you love the Mac Trackpad. I do.

The magic trackpad is great. I am never going to buy any rodents ever again.

As for the Lion release, it's already July first today. I say bring it on! I am ready to download it onto some of my machines.
  • Reply 8 of 152
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It speeds up the time between GM and release by at least a couple weeks. If this is really the GM then it could come as early as next week.

Especially since there is no physical media to deal with. As a software download, all they have to do is put it up there and say "Here it is!"
  • Reply 9 of 152
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 123brummer View Post

Any developers out there who get a chance (or have had the chance) to check compatibility with Logic Pro 9? I (and many others I'm sure) would appreciate the heads up

I'm eagerly anticipating Lion but I use Logic daily and can't afford it being glitchy or not running!

There was a post on the logicprohelp forum where someone stated Lion nixes 32-bit plugin support. So you're high-and-dry if there's no 64-bit version for any of your plugs. That said, we'll only know for sure if that's true once Lion is released.
  • Reply 10 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

There was a post on the logicprohelp forum where someone stated Lion nixes 32-bit plugin support. So you're high-and-dry if there's no 64-bit version for any of your plugs. That said, we'll only know for sure if that's true once Lion is released.

I use Logic and I won't be installing Lion on my main, heavy duty machines which I use for music. I will install it on my laptops though.
  • Reply 11 of 152
    Quote:

I hope you love the Mac Trackpad. I do. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't run on the Lenvovo-POS Windoze machine that I have to use at work!!

As long as the Windows machine has Bluetooth, then the Magic Trackpad will work with it. It just will not have all the cool multi-touch gestures that it does when used with a Mac.

Apple even has Windows drivers for the Magic Trackpad on their support site.
  • Reply 12 of 152
    Quote:

That be a shame! I'll stick with SL if that's the case, as slick and glossy as Lion looks I can't go without 32bit plugins, the uptake to 64bit from a lot of companies is virtually non existant!
  • Reply 13 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I use Logic and I won't be installing Lion on my main, heavy duty machines which I use for music. I will install it on my laptops though.

Fair enough, I'll be doing the same I think, I'm not risking anything!

Do you think you'll install Logic on your portables and test it out when the time comes?
  • Reply 14 of 152
    blackaptblackapt Posts: 1member
    Quote:

thats not true, i'm using 32bit plugins with no issue in functionality regardless of running logic in 32bit or 64bit mode.. however, running in 64bit mode introduces the 32bit bridge which kinda annoys me because you have to click on the space your plugin gui would normally be at for it to pop out. seems redundant for that step to be in place. but, oh well, at least it works.
  • Reply 15 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackapt View Post

thats not true, i'm using 32bit plugins with no issue in functionality regardless of running logic in 32bit or 64bit mode.. however, running in 64bit mode introduces the 32bit bridge which kinda annoys me because you have to click on the space your plugin gui would normally be at for it to pop out. seems redundant for that step to be in place. but, oh well, at least it works.

Interesting, I think I'll probably wait to be on the safe side, I guess as everyone's set up is different it'd be wise to wait for a couple of updates to arrive after Lion is launched before upgrading.

If I installed and it didn't work for whatever reason I'd be soooo hacked off!
  • Reply 16 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 123brummer View Post

Fair enough, I'll be doing the same I think, I'm not risking anything!

Do you think you'll install Logic on your portables and test it out when the time comes?

As soon as Lion is available, there will be tons of people installing it, and feedback will be available right away from Logic users, so everybody will know exactly what the deal is and if it's true that Lion makes 32 bit plugins unusable.
  • Reply 17 of 152
    It isn't a download through software update. I guess I'm going to need to re-install yet again!
  • Reply 18 of 152
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVertigo View Post

It isn't a download through software update. I guess I'm going to need to re-install yet again!

Or, you know, actually pay to be a developer.
  • Reply 19 of 152
    gronaldgronald Posts: 1member
    So, could someone with GM let us know if one can make a stand-alone installer that could be transferred to an external device/DVD? Or did Apple nix that since prior versions . . . .?

thanks
  • Reply 20 of 152
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Honestly, I hated it. I'm a desktop user who never really had much use for a laptop, so I had almost no trackpad experience... but it looks like Lion is going touch in a big way, so I figured I should give it a try. And I got used to it. And then, when it was time to either return it or stick with it, I switched back to my MX Revolution (world's best mouse in my opinion) to see if I missed using a mouse. Instantly, I realized just how much I'd already started taking the Magic Trackpad for granted. God, I love the thing - especially when paired with BetterTouchTool. I can't wait for Lion with the Magic Trackpad.