Daily News

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been a big fan of AppleInsider for many years... I find it entertaining and informative.

Yet I have to say... recent years have somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for Apple news on this site. In the past I eagerly looked for news of new hardware/software... new tech breakthroughs... I'm not saying that they aren't still there.... but predominantly I wade through news of litigation... lawsuits, who's doing what at RIM, Google or Amazon.... I'm not suggesting these items be culled... just observing how this site has more in common with the Wall Street Journal these days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steverino View Post

I find it entertaining and informative.

Are you sure you've been visiting AppleInsider?

The spam is entertaining sometimes - we had one recently selling eyebrow wigs. The thing that baffles me the most is that they've obviously found a market for this. I suppose alopecians gotta go somewhere.

Quote:

I have to say... recent years have somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for Apple news on this site.

The sad truth is, not a lot happens when it comes to a single company, you will find more news on aggregate sites like Engadget, Cnet, Wired etc.

Companies have fairly long software and hardware development cycles and unfortunately, the more that technology progresses, the more it descends to incrementalism.

Look at the TV market, you don't really see much happening there because there's nothing much left to do - just get as big a screen into as thin a box as you can. The computer market has gone the same way except with slightly higher requirements, which is why the saturation point is a little further out.

But once they get an IPS screen in the palm of your hand that let's you do almost anything you need, what's going to happen next?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Maybe I was stretching the truth about it being entertaining!

I'll put it this way... I have this site and macrumors bookmarked for daily viewing and macrumors gives me a quick overview of what's happened in the past 24 hours that I (as a lay person) find informative. ie.... news for the consumer, not the stockholder.

I'm not saying one is right or wrong... but a cursory glance at the recent 12 news items shows only one to be related to the release of an a Apple product.

for me, this is white noise....

.....Canadian telecommunications equipment maker Nortel announced late Thursday that a consortium of companies, including Apple, EMC, Ericsson, Microsoft, Research in Motion and Sony.....

...ummm, what was I saying... I must have dozed off....
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

news for the consumer, not the stockholder.

AppleInsider is more stockholder oriented (hence the AAPL at the top right) - a few people here are shareholders, you will hear them moan every now and again if the number hasn't gone up in the last 5 minutes. This obviously focuses news in a direction that doesn't appeal to the average Apple enthusiast but I find the users here produce better discussions and we can always steal the interesting news from the other sites.