Apple will offer free iPhone 3GS with 2-year mobile contract - report

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sblife View Post

...NO FaceTime camera... ...colors for the kids... ...shorter than current iPhone with EXACTLY the same screen size... ...Photobooth... ...To get the kids really excited!... ..."Pro" [emphasis mine] users will still step up to the black or white iPhone 5...

• Reply 102 of 115
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

If you add a camera and change the radio you'll need to redesign the internals anyway right? May as well redesign. Some people have even said change the chip to an A4.

If it's changed a lot then it's just a matter of what they name it.

Apple should definitely redesign the internals of the 3GS if they intend to sell it another year. I'm not saying juice it up with all the latest tech but they could design the phone to be cheaper to assemble and mass produce. When Apple unveiled the Verizon iPhone 4 iSuppli found it to be nearly $20 cheaper than the original iPhone 4 because Apple used different materials and designed easier to assemble internals.

But if they were to redesign the entire device they may as well build an "iPhone lite" from scratch, which for all we know they may be doing...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sblife View Post

The 3GS will be history by the end of summer. The upcoming 4S is really the iPhone Nano .

I don't agree with all your ideas, but I'd like to see an iPhone Nano in the future with a smaller form factor than the standard iPhones.

Maybe in the near future we'll see iPhones with 3 inch, 3.5 inch, and 4 inch screens all sold side by side.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    deewindeewin Posts: 34member
    If Apple does this then they will absolutely dominate the smartphone market even moreso than before..........which is a good thing because i'm sick of the few customers left who buy androids and blackberries and wanna return them because they find the OS unintuitive and confusing.
  • Reply 104 of 115
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Just a tangent question, is the international market really only half of Apple's revenues? The US market is only 5% of the world, why isn't Apple doing better in the rest of the world?

It's complicated, the short answer is no, the long answer is as follows.

Apple is actually doing very well outside the US, but the last quarter was exceptional - lets look at last quarters data

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...Q_04.21.11.pdf

(Page 20 is the relevant table)

Comparing Non_US to US we have

Revenues - 12.15BN to 9.323BN so 130% of US

Oper. Incm - 5.285BN to 3.755BN so 140% of US

That gives us a clue to part of why US revenues are so high, and it's the same reason that US margins are comparatively low. iTunes. Outside the US iTunes stores are far more limited, especially in the area of video. iTunes is a big revenue business with razor thin margins, so it both inflates US revenues and reduces US margins. We can avoid that messing up the comparison by focusing on Operating Income instead of Revenues.

What else can we deduce? Lets look at the previous years quarter, Q2-2010

Revenues - 6.823BN to 4.993BN so 137% of US

Oper Incm - 2.994BN to 1.674BN so 180% of US

in fact in Q2-2010 the profits were slightly higher in Europe that the Americas. So the real question was, why was Apple doing so poorly in the US?

What changed? Verizon iPhone mostly, in fact looking at 2011Q1 we see the same pattern with US & EU income roughly equal, so the Verizon iPhone was worth 1Billion in operating income last quarter.

Hope that answers your question.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    The iPhone 4 has been available for ?0 under a two-year contract in Ireland for the past few months.
  • Reply 106 of 115
    fuwafuwafuwafuwa Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Or just maybe those free Japanese iPhones came with a very expensive 2 year contract? I would say that's another possible explanation right there.

It's about 4200 JPY/month or about $52, unlimited data transfer.
  • Reply 107 of 115
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    my iphone 4 went for a swim so i got a 49$ 3gs. i dont care what anyone says, it makes call and texts faster than the 4. the 4 has a better screen but for me it sucked as a phone. i would love the 3gs with better screen and faster proc but old design. for what its worth the 3gs is pretty good phone and free doesn't hurt. all the smart phones are 100/month to use , thats just the way it is.
  • Reply 108 of 115
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

my iphone 4 went for a swim so i got a 49$ 3gs. i dont care what anyone says, it makes call and texts faster than the 4. the 4 has a better screen but for me it sucked as a phone. i would love the 3gs with better screen and faster proc but old design. for what its worth the 3gs is pretty good phone and free doesn't hurt.

So you want an iPhone 4 (the "slower" phone, you've said)... in a 3GS case. So the performance will still "suck", it will just "look right".

That's problematic, you see.

Quote:

all the smart phones are 100/month to use , thats just the way it is.

Only because you act like this.
  • Reply 109 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

and faster proc but old design. for what its worth the 3gs is pretty good phone and free doesn't hurt. all the smart phones are 100/month to use , thats just the way it is.

100 what a month? The minimum plan from AT&T costs US$60 a month, I think $40/mo voice, $15/mo data and $5 for taxes and "fees". With those options and the $5/mo text plan, I've found it to be pretty comfortable.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    Quote:

my iphone 4 went for a swim so i got a 49$ 3gs. i dont care what anyone says, it makes call and texts faster than the 4. the 4 has a better screen but for me it sucked as a phone. i would love the 3gs with better screen and faster proc but old design. for what its worth the 3gs is pretty good phone and free doesn't hurt. all the smart phones are 100/month to use , thats just the way it is.

Reason 3GS seems faster is because it has less pixels to push around. Add an RD display and it'll be slow as a dog. With the curved glass patents maybe the 5 will have a curved glass back to mimic the appeal of the original iPhones.

It's true that all smartphones on contracts with the big 2 carriers are gonna be $100/month for decent service. As I said above, as bad as the service prices are its the same for Apple and Android so Apples not at a disadvantage on the carriers. If they offer a free iPhone with 2 year contract they'll have something to fight the plethora of free Androids being thrown around.
  • Reply 111 of 115
    Quote:

100 what a month? The minimum plan from AT&T costs US$60 a month, I think $40/mo voice, $15/mo data and $5 for taxes and "fees". With those options and the $5/mo text plan, I've found it to be pretty comfortable.

Add in highest data plan (for us power users ) and unlimited texting and you'll be at around $100/mo after taxes
  • Reply 112 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Add in highest data plan (for us power users ) and unlimited texting and you'll be at around $100/mo after taxes

Those figures are about right, as long as you have the traffic to justify it. I don't buy high data because I'm in a WiFi zone for most of my uses. I only went over my limit twice. The perception seems to be that people have to spend a lot per month to have a smart phone, and I'm just pointing out that it's not necessarily so. But maybe the point was that all smart phones are going to cost roughly the same. Even so, I think it's well worth the little bit extra to buy the better phone, when the higher end phone is only the cost of a couple month's service more. If you're going to be paying the same for service either way, you may as well enjoy it with a nicer device.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Desperate times calls for desperate measures.
  • Reply 114 of 115
    Quote:

Those figures are about right, as long as you have the traffic to justify it. I don't buy high data because I'm in a WiFi zone for most of my uses. I only went over my limit twice. The perception seems to be that people have to spend a lot per month to have a smart phone, and I'm just pointing out that it's not necessarily so. But maybe the point was that all smart phones are going to cost roughly the same. Even so, I think it's well worth the little bit extra to buy the better phone, when the higher end phone is only the cost of a couple month's service more. If you're going to be paying the same for service either way, you may as well enjoy it with a nicer device.

Yeah, for most people the $15 plan is enough, and the $$ can fit into most people's budgets too. 3 less Bic Macs a month and you can afford a smartphone
  • Reply 115 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yeah, for most people the $15 plan is enough, and the $$ can fit into most people's budgets too. 3 less Bic Macs a month and you can afford a smartphone

And about two less Big macs a month for two years, and gdog can afford to get an iPhone 4 instead of a 3GS.