My 2006 iMac running SL 10.6.8 wont Start after i moved it while on.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a new iMac, in the rush to fire it up i moved my old one from my tiny desk without turning it off.

One day later after i turn it off i try to turn it on, but nothing happened. Only then i remember what i did.

Is there anything i can do, is it DEAD? ( i did not back up almost the 1 TB of data in it, i learned from someone at apple forum that i may retrieve its data )

Please Help, thx in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    When you turn it on, is it making any noise at all? If it's totally dead, you may have messed up your PSU or just blown a fuse in the plug (assuming your country uses fused plugs).

If it starts but beeps, you may have dislodged RAM. If the screen turns on but won't boot up, you may have damaged the hard drive but you'd hear it trying to spin up.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

When you turn it on, is it making any noise at all?

No it doesn't make any sound at all.

Quote:

If it's totally dead, you may have messed up your PSU or just blown a fuse in the plug (assuming your country uses fused plugs).

I do not know, i live in Portugal, tho.

Quote:

If it starts but beeps, you may have dislodged RAM. If the screen turns on but won't boot up, you may have damaged the hard drive but you'd hear it trying to spin up.

It makes NO sound (you only hear the click of the power button), the screen doesn't turn on.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I do not know, i live in Portugal, tho.

Does the plug from your new iMac fit the old one? If so, try it to see if it works.

Check here for the list of steps to run through:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1587