Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Golden Master to developers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 152
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

My IQ is 143 and I think it's awesome

I wish, I knew what my IQ is. But I can't count that far.
  • Reply 82 of 152
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This is when torrents rock

CLICK

The worst part about this statement?

Not that your conduct is deplorable.

Not that you have no moral fiber.

But that you haven't broken the forum rules, so I can't report it.
  • Reply 83 of 152
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right, but isn't that what phones are for? Why do I need "glance and go" on my laptop or desktop computer? Do I whip out my laptop every time I want to check the weather or see if I have a new tweet?

I'm really not quite understanding what MS is doing here. Apple makes a clear distinction between iOS and OS X because they run on very different hardware that engenders different UI solutions. MS allows itself to fall way behind on touch interfaces, then abruptly goes all in by slapping a "touch friendly" UI on an OS that's likely to be mostly run on devices that strongly mitigate against that solution.

And then they further muddy the waters by declaring that their phones will continue to run a different but similar OS while reserving Win 8 for tablets.

Apple: purpose built mobile iOS on mobile devices, OS X on laptops and desktops. MS: WM7 on phones, Win8 with a touch skin on tablets, Win8 with a touch skin that probably will get quickly dismissed to get at Win7 on laptops and desktops.

I don't think that's "efficient" at all, and "glance and go" makes no sense whatsoever for a desktop UI.

I'm with you on all that! But I don't even find that their WP7 interface works well on a phone - in the 10 minutes or so I spent playing with one, the most impressive thing to my mind was the interface they had already had in the Zune for a while (had never seen one of those here in NZ). For the rest of it, I couldn't see much logic to the layout, and I couldn't for the life of me get past the total lack of aesthetic value - those tiles I just could not abide.
  • Reply 84 of 152
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha. Windows 8 looks like it's made for really stupid and simple people.

And Lion doesn't?

• Reply 85 of 152
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can still report it to imafuckingpussywithastickupmyass.com.
  • Reply 86 of 152
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

You can still report it...

Pirating commercial software is illegal. There's really no other way you can swing it.
  • Reply 87 of 152
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

Quote:

You can still report it to imafuckingpussywithastickupmyass.com.

lol Was thinking of the same link to give to the ol' timer. Oh well, let him have his fun downloading all the Beatles CDs on iTunes (maybe he uses Limewire) before he reads up on how to install Lion from a flash drive or that you can install from the DMG itself.
  • Reply 88 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Pirating commercial software is illegal. There's really no other way you can swing it.

1) Why even respond to him when you know he's just trolling?

2) I'm a paid Mac and iOS dev and torrented Preview 3 and Preview 4 because the Mac App Store process was somehow corrupting my download even though it said it was okay. Even the initial installer reported no issues but about 70% through the installation they would fail. By mounting the InstallESD.dmg I was able to tell if the installer was corrupted. It wasn't until the last Software Update fort Lion that my Mac App Store correctly downloaded Lion as discovered by the recent Lion release. But I digress, am I evil for using torrents or am I allowed because I had no other recourse even though I was a paid dev?
  • Reply 89 of 152
    Quote:

Hey D Wad...not only are you wrong about torrenting, but if you want to start talking about pirating SJ recently monetized pirated music via iCloud. Quite genius really.
  • Reply 90 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Cool it with the personal attack.
  • Reply 91 of 152
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefingers View Post

If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to pay $29 like the rest of us.

You are mistaken.
  • Reply 92 of 152
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

And Lion doesn't?

No it doesn't. Lion looks like a natural evolution of Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 93 of 152
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Oh yes you can. There's a lady in AI customer service named Helen Waite. If you have a problem with a poster, just go to Helen Waite.
  • Reply 94 of 152
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I can't befuckinglieve we ar not getting resolution independence even with lion...
  • Reply 95 of 152
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKRick View Post

So let's say your hard drive dies and you install a new one or you just want to upgrade to an SSD, I guess you would have to install SL first to access the download then do your clean install... what a hassle.

Godd thing then, isn't it, that you don't have to do it that way.

Google around a bit; there are a number of sites outlining how to generate a bootable install DVD from the Lion download.

Burn your disc, or two, and you're set for the scenario you have in mind.
  • Reply 96 of 152
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post

So, does anyone have any feedback on how someone might navigate Lion if they have a traditional mouse or a trackball?

Exactly the way that you'd navigate in Snow Leopard now with a mouse or trackpad.

You just don't get to use the gestures. You can even turn them off in System Preferences if you prefer.
  • Reply 97 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Oh yes you can. There's a lady in AI customer service named Helen Waite. If you have a problem with a poster, just go to Helen Waite.

Is that your mommy?
  • Reply 98 of 152
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Is that [Helen Waite} your mommy?

+1

No but in an outfit where I used to work the project manager would always use that line on newcomer engineers and managers who were frustrated by slow code testing by the QA folks. QA by necessity is a slow process if you want a quality product out there. Our product was a computerized telephone exchange that had to have near 100% uptime.
  • Reply 99 of 152
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Haha. Windows 8 looks like it's made for really stupid and simple people. It just looks like a bunch of big widgets shaped like tiles on your desktop, providing real useful info such as the weather.

And how much is that crap going to cost? As we all know, Lion will be $29. Only a fool would shell out good money to downgrade their OS and get a couple of tiles on their desktop instead. We all know how much MS charges for their operating systems.

$12 if you're a student? That's how much I paid for Windows 7.
  • Reply 100 of 152
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I can't befuckinglieve we ar not getting resolution independence even with lion...

Apparently, Mac OS X is not designed for stupid and simple people, unlike Windows 8, which does have resolution independence.