Rumor: Suppliers preparing for October launch of Apple's iPhone 5, iPad 3

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

just go away. Your ability to deliver ad hominem attacks without getting banned should earn you a trophy on your way out the door.

Who am I 'attacking'? The people who believe every single rumor hand and foot? Isn't that fine to do?

Quote:

If you honestly believe that a high resolution screen on the iPad is at all "pointless"

Never said that.

Quote:

as you're incapable of understanding why a mid-year iPad refresh is likely.

I probably am, but not for the reasons you stated. I believe it's entirely unlikely since Apple does one iDevice model per year and has since 2007.

Quote:

Apple, certainly does NOT think its "pointless".

A Retina Display? Certainly not pointless.

I'm talking more about how the 'iPad 3' is to have a Retina Display... and be 7". Or just be 7". With 3D cameras. And a USB and SD card slot. And all the other crap you hear.

But the iPad 3 being 9.8" and having a 2560x1920 (4:3) display? Perfectly understandable. Just not this year.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I probably am, but not for the reasons you stated. I believe it's entirely unlikely since Apple does one iDevice model per year and has since 2007.

That's true, but that's when the iPod ceased meaningful development and the iPhone became the key product. The iPhone, unlike the iPod had sales limited dramatically by carrier agreements and consumer contracts, and so Apple didn't have the same possibility of totally dominating the market. Faster model releases wouldn't have made them any more money in the iPhone market. Faster model releases for the iPod would have been superfluous, Apple owned the category and the only meaningful competition was from smartphones - primarily the iPhone itself.

I would contend that the iPad is far more similar to the early iPod, because it doesn't have any of those issues. Instead Apple is being limited in the iPad market purely by supply issues and by price. Competitors only get a look in if the consumer walks into a store and can't find an iPad that meets his needs and budget to walk out with. Some people will wait a few weeks for an internet delivery, but many people will see the Samsung 10.1 and get told by a salesman that it's 'basically the same' and they'll buy it.

Apple might elect not to refresh the iPad again this year, but don't take 2007-2011 iPhone refresh cycles as a hard proof that they won't.
  • Reply 83 of 107
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Following that logic, you would have argued in 2006 that there would be no iDevice in 2007 because up until then Apple did 0 iPhone Models per year and had done this since 1978.

Heres whats certain to happen in the future: Apple will have more than one model of iPhone, and will release more than one model every year. Whether it is this year is the only thing up for debate.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Heres whats certain to happen in the future: Apple will have more than one model of iPhone, and will release more than one model every year. Whether it is this year is the only thing up for debate.

That's hardly certain at all. In fact, it's nowhere near certain at all.

Or are you being sarcastic again?
  • Reply 85 of 107
    I am not being sarcastic: The argument to past behaviour is not a acceptable argument.

That said, none of us can be certain; however in this case given that Apple are at best stagnating in market share in the phone market, because of massive competition by Android, it makes sense to have more than one model iPhone which can be updated at different times in the year. Think iBook and Mac Book Pro.

As for September - i dont know. I think they will just keep the 3GS and make it the cheap model for now. And the iPad I am 50/50 on. But I except a new iPhone model next year in March - the iPhone 5 with LTE, and possibly a cheap model. Then September sees an upgrade to the standard models.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

I am not being sarcastic: The argument to past behaviour is not a acceptable argument.

That said, none of us can be certain; however in this case given that Apple are at best stagnating in market share in the phone market, because of massive competition by Android, it makes sense to have more than one model iPhone which can be updated at different times in the year. Think iBook and Mac Book Pro.

As for September - i dont know. I think they will just keep the 3GS and make it the cheap model for now. And the iPad I am 50/50 on. But I except a new iPhone model next year in March - the iPhone 5 with LTE, and possibly a cheap model. Then September sees an upgrade to the standard models.

That's a really interesting perspective.

Scattering iPhone releases throughout the year would keep buzz high as we've seen to an extent this year with the Verizon model and the white iPhone. If Apple could have a major iPhone update in March and an iPhone "Nano"/"Lite" update in the fall they'd keep sales momentum up year round. Ditto the iPad if they decide to have multiple models to update throughout the year.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

My 2 cents is the iPad 3 this year is very, very unlikely. Unless they are prepared to ramp iPad 3 in volume with new component suppliers lined up. But this is unlikely given constraints with these larger 10" touch panels compared to the standard 3-4" smartphone ones. Brazil is yet to come on line with their production facilities. Apple's transition to iPad 3 or adding iPad 3 while iPad 2 is still selling out the wazoo is going to be magical in and of itself, if it happens this year.

As for the iPhone, I think the most sensible thing is October's iOS5 release coinciding with a slightly modified iPhone 4, named the iPhone 5. This nomenclature allows them to use the same form factor and screen for iPhone 3GS but call it iPhone 4GS, with A4 chip, etc. So going into October 2011 to October 2012 you have your top-line iPhone 5 super duper sexy 8MP A5 chip 1GB RAM whatever, with the iPhone 4GS as the "low-end" "cheap" model.

This is probably the most efficient way Apple can split the next-generation iPhone line, ie. as mentioned iPhone 5 world-mode glass type and iPhone 4GS world-mode old plastic type. This also buys Apple time to come out with a mind-blowing iPhone 6 which supports LTE in October 2012. You see in this strategy I mention they would preserve the manufacturing capacity having been churning out iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 for quite a while now, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4GS would not need radically new manufacturing processes... Leaving Apple to focus fully on *the* space where radical new thought, design and battery architecture is needed, namely an LTE iPhone for US, China (TD-LTE) and global markets.

But of course, truth is usually stranger than fiction. I look forward to iOS 5 nonetheless for my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 which should last me through to October 2012 if I can resist the urge... That insidious Apple itch LOL.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

This is what I meant by 'Shock and awe', Apple just rained down updates so that every time competitors thought they had a point of differentiation or a price advantage they found that they didn't, and had to go back to the drawing board, invest a load of money on a new product and lose a ton of money on product that they couldn't get out of channel.

Edit:

Just saw this graphic on The Register and it kinda blew my mind

Dude, wtf!? Doesn't the Blackberry have free web browsing and messaging? This is madness. What would happen if iCloud provided a similar service to BB services? (I know there's an iMessage, but will we still be subject to data charges and the like?)
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This is probably the most efficient way Apple can split the next-generation iPhone line, ie. as mentioned iPhone 5 world-mode glass type and iPhone 4GS world-mode old plastic type. This also buys Apple time to come out with a mind-blowing iPhone 6 which supports LTE in October 2012. You see in this strategy I mention they would preserve the manufacturing capacity having been churning out iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 for quite a while now, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4GS would not need radically new manufacturing processes... Leaving Apple to focus fully on *the* space where radical new thought, design and battery architecture is needed, namely an LTE iPhone for US, China (TD-LTE) and global markets.

Why do people who think that "Apple comes out with a model every year" not think it wil take 15 months for the next one?
  • Reply 90 of 107
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NinjaBladeMastery View Post

Dude, wtf!? Doesn't the Blackberry have free web browsing and messaging? This is madness. What would happen if iCloud provided a similar service to BB services? (I know there's an iMessage, but will we still be subject to data charges and the like?)

BB messaging is not included in the graph. That traffic is not reflected in the graph. But for web browsing, the BB figure is so low because the BB browser has sucked for a long time. My friend kept complaining about it to me. I'm not sure what model he had but it was a mid-range BB. The first thing was that the browser was rather crippled, like he couldn't just browse the Facebook website easily, he had to use the BB Facebook app. The other thing I didn't get was that he had to have a data plan ie. 3G connected to be able to connect to a WiFi network for WiFi Internet browsing or something convoluted like that. Factor in that your standard BB has half of the device taken up by a physical keyboard, and it makes sense that it's not the best smartphone to do web browsing.

iMessage is going to clobber BB big time when it comes out. Yes it will use your data plan but sending messages will become much cheaper than texting. iMessage is very, very significant. It may not be better than BB Messenger but it certainly cuts out a huge reason for someone wanting to stick with or get a BB.

Quote:

Why do people who think that "Apple comes out with a model every year" not think it wil take 15 months for the next one?

Not sure who you are referring to, but I think for the iPad and iPhone Apple will try and stick with the 12 month cycle. In 2011, it will extend to 15 months or so because iOS 5 is very significant and also because they wanted to dedicate the middle of the year to a new OS X, which doesn't happen often. But after the iPhone release this year, the next iPhone is almost certain to be LTE and I don't see Apple taking more than 1 year between iPhone 2011 and iPhone 2012 LTE.

At the end of the day though we can guess but I don't think we can predict any schedule too accurately because of all the fragmentation of GSM, CDMA and especially the Chinese variants of CDMA and LTE.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    it's fun to guess:

1. iOS 5 and iICloud will get the big emphasis, very consumer focused. lots of goodies there.

2. Certainly the iPhone 5. like most I expect a spec bumped iPhone 4 with a bigger screen and better camera. only really new feature might be RFID. but only if Apple has some deal set up to make it widely usable in the real world. otherwise, Apple will wait until it is.

3. a new 5.5" iPod touch model, along with spec bumps to the current 3.5" model. it will still run iPhone apps at the same screen resolution, just blown up, so not "retina" quality, but still good. with iOS 5 video mirroring, this will be Apple's DS/PSP-killer in the portable gaming market. and also work for many as a mid-sized iOS tablet. Jobs was clear we will never see a 7" iPad, but Apple can't give a whole market segment away to the competition. the price will be very aggressive, like $250, with the smaller touch dropping under $200. and there will be a model with over 300G SSD that will finally replace the iPod Classic.

4. I really can't figure out what will happen to the iPod Nano and Shuffle. Apple keeps fiddling with both a lot every year, and probably will again. link with iCloud somehow?

5. thanks to Video Mirroring, the Apple TV doesn't ever need to run apps itself. but its version of IOS 5 might enable screen widgets, and add more "partner" apps like MLB. Hulu? but I don't expect an Apple HDTV, probably never.

6. one last thing - will there be an iPhone Nano, or will Apple just keep selling the 3GS very cheap? with the emphasis on FaceTime, I think Apple would like to sunset the 3GS. so what would be the smallest/thinnest possible phone given the necessary antennas? with the same screen as the new iPod Nano for UI consistency? and a FaceTime camera, but not running iOS apps? so, maybe ...
  • Reply 92 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

6. one last thing - will there be an iPhone Nano, or will Apple just keep selling the 3GS very cheap? with the emphasis on FaceTime, I think Apple would like to sunset the 3GS.

One reason I'm not 100% sold on the 3GS continuing on for another year is facetime. Apple is obviously adding that to all their wifi enabled devices and the more devices with facetime the stronger the brand is.

This is why I'm inclined to believe Apple will either make an entry level "iPhone Lite" with same screen and overall specs as the 3GS with a few additional features such as a factime front camera. Or Apple will make an all new iPhone Nano* with a smaller form factor and facetime being a prime feature (the younger Nano demographic would LOVE facetime).

What if Apple is looking to do something like what asdasd was talking about in his thread above, by staggering iPhone launches?

What could happen is Apple could leave the iPhone 4 alone this fall and just give it a price drop, and then unveil an all new "iPhone Nano*." Then wait until next spring to unleash a true iPhone 5 with A5 LTE 4 inch HD screen etc. That could be a smart move for them.

*by the way, my view of an iPhone Nano is a phone that runs all the iPhone apps (so that Apple can capitalize the app store as much as possible). I'm thinking a phone with a 3 inch screen, smaller extremely thin all plastic casing, facetime camera, and a low unlocked price around $299.
  • Reply 93 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

2. Certainly the iPhone 5. like most I expect a spec bumped iPhone 4 with a bigger screen and better camera.

A5 chip. 3.5" screen. Camera goes either way.

Quote:

3. a new 5.5" iPod touch model,

Nope.

Quote:

...just blown up...

Because that worked SO well on the iPad.

Quote:

...Apple can't give a whole market segment away to the competition...

There IS no competition. No one wants to buy anything but an iPad. All the 7" tablets are TERRIBLE. No one wants a 5.5" device. It's too big for any pocket and too small to subconsciously carry.

Quote:

4. I really can't figure out what will happen to the iPod Nano and Shuffle. Apple keeps fiddling with both a lot every year, and probably will again. link with iCloud somehow?

Apple wouldn't stick Wi-Fi in them to kill their battery life. Apple also wouldn't stick 3G in them to connect to iCloud from anywhere.

Camera on the next nano, shuffle gets new colors in the same form factor.

Quote:

I don't expect an Apple HDTV, probably never.

Finally some sense. Good on you.

Quote:

will there be an iPhone Nano, or will Apple just keep selling the 3GS very cheap?

The latter.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

There IS no competition. No one wants to buy anything but an iPad. All the 7" tablets are TERRIBLE. No one wants a 5.5" device. It's too big for any pocket and too small to subconsciously carry.

I heard that these are strange creatures called women, who carry peculiar fetishes known as handbags or purses in which they place all manner of devices, powders, ointments and who knows what else. Apparently some of these fair creatures have been known to buy consumer electronics.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:

I heard that these are strange creatures called women, who carry peculiar fetishes known as handbags or purses in which they place all manner of devices, powders, ointments and who knows what else. Apparently some of these fair creatures have been known to buy consumer electronics.

That's a very strange use for a tablet, though.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Quote:

Quote:

That's a very strange use for a tablet, though.

Haha a purse tablet made for women. Now they can carry all their "pads" in one bag

But I think a more important market for a smaller iPad would be gamers. Something 7 inches is more handheld than something 10 inches. The iPad is more of a lap device.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Quote:

A5 chip. 3.5" screen. Camera goes either way.

Nope.

Because that worked SO well on the iPad.

Apple wouldn't stick Wi-Fi in them to kill their battery life. Apple also wouldn't stick 3G in them to connect to iCloud from anywhere.

Camera on the next nano, shuffle gets new colors in the same form factor.

Finally some sense. Good on you.

The latter.

I love your pessimism. But seriously I think you should be more open-minded because Apple could really surprise us with a lot in the coming 6 months on the mobile front, especially with the iPhone brand maturing.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I love your pessimism.

Thanks. People would do very well to imitate it. I wouldn't be offended.

Quote:

But seriously I think you should be more open-minded because Apple could really surprise us with a lot in the coming 6 months on the mobile front, especially with the iPhone brand maturing.

No. They won't. Because Apple hasn't really given a surprise on any front since the Intel switch.
  • Reply 99 of 107
    Quote:

No. They won't. Because Apple hasn't really given a surprise on any front since the Intel switch.

That's debatable because since the Intel switch the iPhone, iPad and MacBook Air have all come out. All those things could be classified as surprises to some.

It's true that in recent years we haven't had any real "wows" from Apple, but I don't think that means Apple won't do little things to be more competitive like expanding the iPhone, iPad, or iPod lines. Apple did it years ago with the iPod so I don't see how that would be out of the question. It might not happen this year but I think it's something thats going to happen eventually.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I'd have to rate the Retina screen on the iPhone and touch as a surprise, and it will come to be seen as an important one, once its true use sinks in. Same with FaceTime.

It will take a while.