who here is in college...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...a decent distance from home and has a desktop instead of a laptop? Does that work ok? I mean I publish an online comic (link in sig) so I would have to take it back and forth when I come home for breaks and stuff. Just wontering what people's experiences have been.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I haven't run across someone who had a laptop in college who actually used it as much as they thought they would outside of their home.

Just get a <a href="http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1661"; target="_blank">small desktop</a>.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jkarc21jkarc21 Posts: 132member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I haven't run across someone who had a laptop in college who actually used it as much as they thought they would outside of their home.

Just get a <a href="http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1661"; target="_blank">small desktop</a>. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm in college, a 2nd year Grad student in Architecture at the University of Florida. I was required to purchase a laptop many years ago by my department. Initially after looking at prices of notebooks I was not happy. I really wanted to get a desktop for less money with a larger monitor. After a few years of using my laptop, I must say I use it daily at home and often take it with me on trips and vacations - not to mention class presentations and image downloads from my digital camera. This laptop is vital to my ability to keep producing.. Not being retricted to a single room in my apartment. Why not have the freedom of a laptop?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The most important thing is to have a small computer. You want to be able to move it all off your desk at times.

However, if you're not doing anything technical or scientific in school, you probably won't even need your desk. Also, if you're going into engineering school, it's nice to have a notebook comp to take to the lab.

Another nice thing about the laptop, though, is that it's much easier to take home during breaks.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jkarc21jkarc21 Posts: 132member
    [quote]Originally posted by MaCommentary:

<strong>...a decent distance from home and has a desktop instead of a laptop? Does that work ok? I mean I publish an online comic (link in sig) so I would have to take it back and forth when I come home for breaks and stuff. Just wontering what people's experiences have been.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Looks like you should buy a notebook! You won't regret it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    College Junior...

Use laptop all-the-time.

No, really. ALL-the-time!