Rumor: Suppliers preparing for October launch of Apple's iPhone 5, iPad 3

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'd have to rate the Retina screen on the iPhone and touch as a surprise

The opposite would have been true for me. Retina Display+front camera+A[number] chip is status quo for iDevices now.

My first surprise from Apple in the last five years was them NOT discontinuing the white MacBook when the MacBook Collector's Edition came out.

My second was them putting a Mini DVI port and Mini DisplayPort on the last-gen Mac Mini. It was abject nonsense, but at least they shipped it with an included Mini DVI adapter...

My third was when they didn't discontinue the iPod classic last September, if not the one before that.

My fourth was Apple NOT including a Retina Display on the iPad 2. That didn't make any sense given their history.

And that's it. Everything else either equalled or undercut what I predicted or believed. Never surpassed.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The opposite would have been true for me. Retina Display+front camera+A[number] chip is status quo for iDevices now.

He was saying Retina surprised him when the iPhone 4 came out. Retina/Facetime/A4 weren't status quo before the iPhone 4 came out, and that was his point.

Quote:

My first surprise from Apple in the last five years was them NOT discontinuing the white MacBook when the MacBook Collector's Edition came out.

My second was them putting a Mini DVI port and Mini DisplayPort on the last-gen Mac Mini. It was abject nonsense, but at least they shipped it with an included Mini DVI adapter...

My third was when they didn't discontinue the iPod classic last September, if not the one before that.

My fourth was Apple NOT including a Retina Display on the iPad 2. That didn't make any sense given their history.

Come on your nitpicking and all of your Apple "surprises" are things they didn't do, not things they did. A lot of the little things you reference don't even matter in the big scheme of things, except maybe the lack of Retina on the iPad 2 but hey now they have something to improve on with the iPad 3

Quote:

And that's it. Everything else either equalled or undercut what I predicted or believed. Never surpassed.

Well there you go then. I know my expectations were surpassed by the initial iPhone launch in 07. I can't say the same about the iPad or iPad 2 but both have been successful for Apple.

By the sounds of it nothing Apple does in the future will impress you
  • Reply 103 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

He was saying Retina surprised him when the iPhone 4 came out. Retina/Facetime/A4 weren't status quo before the iPhone 4 came out, and that was his point.

Yes, but it was implied that the iPod touch WOULD be getting it. Wchいswhyイを鵜ldはヴェベエンすrpリセd位f位tはんd't.

And apparently I typed too fast and switched to Romaji. I'm leaving it.

Which is why I would have been surprised if it hadn't.

Quote:

Come on your nitpicking and all of your Apple "surprises" are things they didn't do, not things they did.

I'm not only not nitpicking, but the nature of the surprises also isn't the point. That they were surprises matters.

You can't tell me that the white MacBook continuing to exist doesn't matter in the "big scheme of things". Nor can you tell me that forcing 30" Cinema Display users to buy the expensive and horribly buggy Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter if they wanted to buy a (then-) updated Mac Mini didn't matter. Heck yes, it did. Apple dropping the full-size DVI without a newer equivalent display solution in place was a mistake.

iPod classic, eh. If people with FLAC libraries were still buying it, more power to them. I was just surprised that enough were being sold to continue production. I will certainly be even MORE surprised if it isn't discontinued THIS year, its ten-year anniversary.

And the iPad 2's argument is the same as the iPod touch's.

Quote:

By the sounds of it nothing Apple does in the future will impress you

Certainly not. I'd be impressed by an A5 Apple TV with apps (not actually apps... CHANNELS! A la carte TV channels packaged as downloadable apps! Get JUST The Science Channel, Discovery, History, and NASA without paying $60 a month for satellite and 400 channels you'll never watch!).

I'd be impressed by a redesigned Mac Pro with Thunderbolt PCIe graphics cards that makes the server crowd happy again.

I'd be surprised by Apple stating a data plan is no longer required to use an iPhone. I realize they're not the ones currently dictating such, but, again, it would be surprising to see them start to do so.

Most of the things I'd be surprised at Apple doing are things that they would absolutely never do. Hence the surprise. They'll stick to meeting my expectations for the time being. I don't see, say, the removal of ALL PORTS but Thunderbolt on new Macs happening any time soon, and I'd like that, but I understand why they don't do it, and I would be surprised if they did.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Yes, but it was implied that the iPod touch WOULD be getting it. Wchいswhyイを鵜ldはヴェベエンすrpリセd位f位tはんd't.

And apparently I typed too fast and switched to Romaji. I'm leaving it.

Which is why I would have been surprised if it hadn't.

I'm not only not nitpicking, but the nature of the surprises also isn't the point. That they were surprises matters.

You can't tell me that the white MacBook continuing to exist doesn't matter in the "big scheme of things". Nor can you tell me that forcing 30" Cinema Display users to buy the expensive and horribly buggy Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter if they wanted to buy a (then-) updated Mac Mini didn't matter. Heck yes, it did. Apple dropping the full-size DVI without a newer equivalent display solution in place was a mistake.

iPod classic, eh. If people with FLAC libraries were still buying it, more power to them. I was just surprised that enough were being sold to continue production. I will certainly be even MORE surprised if it isn't discontinued THIS year, its ten-year anniversary.

And the iPad 2's argument is the same as the iPod touch's.

Certainly not. I'd be impressed by an A5 Apple TV with apps (not actually apps... CHANNELS! A la carte TV channels packaged as downloadable apps! Get JUST The Science Channel, Discovery, History, and NASA without paying $60 a month for satellite and 400 channels you'll never watch!).

I'd be impressed by a redesigned Mac Pro with Thunderbolt PCIe graphics cards that makes the server crowd happy again.

I'd be surprised by Apple stating a data plan is no longer required to use an iPhone. I realize they're not the ones currently dictating such, but, again, it would be surprising to see them start to do so.

Most of the things I'd be surprised at Apple doing are things that they would absolutely never do. Hence the surprise. They'll stick to meeting my expectations for the time being. I don't see, say, the removal of ALL PORTS but Thunderbolt on new Macs happening any time soon, and I'd like that, but I understand why they don't do it, and I would be surprised if they did.

Ok that's all fair.

I agree channel packages would be a nice feature for Apple TV, but we're already seeing that happen for iPad and with the Mirroring technology and AirPlay in iOS5 you can have your network apps and play them on your television.

A Data Plan free iPhone would be awesome. If Apple could get the unlocked price down to $299 then I'm sure carriers wouldn't require a Data Plan. This is where a proverbial iPhone Nano could fit in.

I'd prefer to look at the potential in Apple's future than in the shortcomings of some of their present offerings. A lot of your complaints... I mean surprises... were valid and I agree Apple needs to make changes, but I still believe in the big scheme of things a lot of those issues are trivial. Yeah the Mac Mini should have a better external display solution and the whole computer frankly could use a price drop, but in the larger scheme of Apple product it's not a big deal.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

A5 chip. 3.5" screen. Camera goes either way.

Nope.

Because that worked SO well on the iPad.

There IS no competition. No one wants to buy anything but an iPad. All the 7" tablets are TERRIBLE. No one wants a 5.5" device. It's too big for any pocket and too small to subconsciously carry.

Apple wouldn't stick Wi-Fi in them to kill their battery life. Apple also wouldn't stick 3G in them to connect to iCloud from anywhere.

Camera on the next nano, shuffle gets new colors in the same form factor.

Finally some sense. Good on you.

The latter.

it will be fun to check back after the announcements to see who was closer. i was just guessing, but you've put your pundit rep on the line.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

it will be fun to check back after the announcements to see who was closer. i was just guessing, but you've put your pundit rep on the line.

What "pundit rep"? I'm no pundit. I don't claim to know any more than you do.
  • Reply 107 of 107
    cwfrederickcwfrederick Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The only reason I see for Apple to refresh the iPad this Fall is if they think there will be a marketing challenge from Android for Holiday sales. Note, I'm not saying there will be a legit hardware or software challenge from Android. But if come Holiday shopping season there are a bunch of "greatest thing since sliced bread" marketing campaigns for new Android tablets and Apple's offering is perceived as a 9-months old dinosaur, it could take some sales away. Remember, many consumers don't appreciate the differences between devices. They will just go out and buy little Sally and Jonny whatever they think is the latest-and-greatest.

you just summed up my exact thoughts.