Google Android continues growth streak over Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

It's really a silly argument.

I think the comparison between OEMs is a lot more reasonable, especially when we remember that Apple started from nowhere only a few years ago - I mean - my mother still uses a phone that is older than Apple's presence in this market.

At current rates Apple will overtake Moto within a year in the US. That's huge.
  • Reply 42 of 85
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxxmanic View Post

What I would like to see are numbers giving sales figures. I mean sales, not "sales" as in free with contract, or buy one get one. How many handsets were actually exchanged for cash in addition to a contract? The reason I ask is because two of my friends use Android smartphones ONLY because they came "free" with the contract.

Android is capturing so much of the market with handsets and little of app sales because most Android users don't want to pay for anything they don't have to. Neither of my friends leave on their 3G service because they chose the lowest data plan. They don't buy any apps either.

I can't see that the Android "giveaway" can be sustained. I'm probably wrong though.

Here in Spain, or in UK or Italy you can get iPhones 4 for free depending on the contract. Are those also "sales"?
  • Reply 43 of 85
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Frankly, no one serious cares. Not when Apple is said to be gaining share, not when Android is said to be gaining share, at the levels they are at.

The only issue is who is making any money at this so as to cover their cost of capital. Apple is, Google is not.

What? How do you compare moneymaking in a business when one company's profits are calculated based on GR minus COGS (read primarily hardware) and the other makes no hardware? You can compare MS and GOOG, but not AAPL with either? To force a comparison would be naive and plain wrong. So pls stop doing that because you're smart enough to know better, aren't you?
  • Reply 44 of 85
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Here in Spain, or in UK or Italy you can get iPhones 4 for free depending on the contract. Are those also "sales"?

Yes. Apple still gets money. The carriers pay them.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Yes. Apple still gets money. The carriers pay them.

Ah, carriers don't pay HTC or Motorola?
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxxmanic View Post

I can't see that the Android "giveaway" can be sustained. I'm probably wrong though.

Huh? You can get an iPhone-4 free on contract in some places, it's completely sustainable - the contract is effectively a lease on the hardware with free minutes thrown in.

The real proof for android phones low margins is the cheap pay-as-you-go offers. From Orange in the UK you can pick up an Android handset for £80 with no contract, the cheapest unlocked iPhones are about £400.
  • Reply 47 of 85
    Quote:

Ah, carriers don't pay HTC or Motorola?

They do, but less - we can estimate it by looking at PAYG prices (from orange UK)

HTC WIldfire S - £170.

S-E Xperia X8 -£120

S-E Xperia X10 - £160

HTC Cha-Cha - £190

3GS - £400

iPhone-4 £600

Kinda different eh?

One interesting outlier

HTC 7 Mozart (WP7) £410

I have no idea what to make of that.
  • Reply 48 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What? How do you compare moneymaking in a business when one company's profits are calculated based on GR minus COGS (read primarily hardware) and the other makes no hardware? You can compare MS and GOOG, but not AAPL with either? To force a comparison would be naive and plain wrong. So pls stop doing that because you're smart enough to know better, aren't you?

You don't understand what 'cost of capital' means do you?

Would you like me to explain?
  • Reply 49 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Kinda different eh?

Yes

Galaxy SII £499.90

HTC Desire S £429.90

HTC Sensation £459.90

And?
  • Reply 50 of 85
    Quote:

Yes

Galaxy SII £499.90

HTC Desire S £429.90

HTC Sensation £459.90

And?

There are definitely some high margin HTC products and Samsung products, however that's not where the bulk of the Android market share is - and none of them have margin to compare to the £600 iPhone-4.

Android overall has been good for handset maker margins, but it hasn't pushed them anywhere near to Apple levels on average, and the profit numbers make that fairly clear.
  • Reply 51 of 85
    Quote:

There are definitely some high margin HTC products and Samsung products, however that's not where the bulk of the Android market share is - and none of them have margin to compare to the £600 iPhone-4.

Android overall has been good for handset maker margins, but it hasn't pushed them anywhere near to Apple levels on average, and the profit numbers make that fairly clear.

Yes, but the original discussions was that given away phones can't count toward sales
  • Reply 52 of 85
    Quote:

Yes, but the original discussions was that given away phones can't count toward sales

Yeh - I'm with you on that, 'given away' on a £40/month 18month contract is still plenty profitable. HTC and Samsung seem to have sustainable businesses, but Moto & S-E are pretty questionable.
  • Reply 53 of 85
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jawcl View Post

Samsung sells more than any others? Wow.

Puts everything in persepctive doesnt it?
  • Reply 54 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

What perspective would that be? That most of the global phone market is still the standard feature phone and not a smart phone?
  • Reply 55 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

To put things even further into perspective Nokia still sells more than any other handset maker world wide. Which shows you how far Android and iOS both still have to go.

It would be interesting to know who the biggest US smartphone maker is though, it's almost certainly Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 85
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What perspective would that be? That most of the global phone market is still the standard feature phone and not a smart phone?

Now, that puts things into perspective.
  • Reply 57 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

certainly not the iPhone 4. it's so delicate! but beautiful. they really need to do away with the glass back. how many cracked and shattered iPhone 4's do we need?

I've thumped, dropped, tossed, and carried it in my pocket with assorted nasty sharp objects and it hasn't cracked scratched or failed. If that's "delicate", I can't wait until they toughen it up more! I frankly don't need any cracked iPhones and haven't ever had one in spite of my treatment of it. Besides a cracked back only costs 29 bucks to replace anyway - should that ever happen. Perhaps if you stopped moshing with it taped to your forehead, or driving over it?? *wink*
  • Reply 58 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

I've thumped, dropped, tossed, and carried it in my pocket with assorted nasty sharp objects and it hasn't cracked scratched or failed. If that's "delicate", I can't wait until they toughen it up more! I frankly don't need any cracked iPhones and haven't ever had one in spite of my treatment of it. Besides a cracked back only costs 29 bucks to replace anyway - should that ever happen. Perhaps if you stopped moshing with it taped to your forehead, or driving over it?? *wink*

Agreed - I actually find it's a bit tougher than my original iphone
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

i care! look..it's still in its infancy but i think it's a cool start. i like the live tiles and the metro ui. but it certainly doesn't have nearly all of the features that android and iOS have. it would be good to have 3 dominant mobile os's to keep everyone on their toes and keep the innovation coming. competition is great in the technology sector.

The highlighted section is a statement I wonder about all the time. Aple needs competitors to keep innovating? Really? So when they jumped into the smartphone market segment all the other OEM were poised to leap ahead in design and function but Apple beat them to it? Not when you compare the Nokia N series, the Android pre-iPhone prototype, the BB Bolds/Curves/Tours, HTC's P, T or S series (pre Android), all of these and the rest were incrementalists not innovators. Apple stepped out in front of pretty much everyone, established the capacitive touch benchmark. Apple spent some time tightening up its own platform and when the time is right - they will do it again.

And again, the whole "tablet" thing. Netbooks. Who else is delivering innovation at the same rate Apple is - and I do mean deliver - not just "talk". So if Apple is characteristically out-innovating everyone else without there being significant competition - what good is there in saying that "competition is great"? Or is this yet another commerical truism that is used to justify mere incrementalism and "running in the pack"?
  • Reply 60 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

To put things even further into perspective Nokia still sells more than any other handset maker world wide. Which shows you how far Android and iOS both still have to go.

The thing is, what is Nokia's platform breakdown? Most of Nokia's handsets are feature phones, Android and iOS are not feature phone OSs. Care needs to be taken when you make comparisons, otherwise you're liable to compare offerings in very different categories. Stated another way, I don't see why they'd dump Symbian if it was really pulling in the numbers that it should.