lap top or desk top

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I went into the Apple store to purchase a 15" macbook pro, now that my old desk top has died. This would be my first laptop. A very helpful employee did a good job of confusing me. His suggestion was to buy a 21" desktop (which he said was a better computer) and an ipad to give me the mobility I want (though not absolutely necessary - I don't travel for business, etc.) When applecare, etc is added in, the price for the macbook pro is almost exactly the same as the desktop and ipad combined. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    What are your needs? You can take a laptop pretty much anywhere you need want to go. The desktop, which have have not specified except for the size of the monitor, has a larger monitor, is easier to expand, and has a number of other advantages. Decide what is important to you. Then base your purchasing decision on that.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rabsrabs Posts: 2member
    Thanks for the response. The desktop is the base model which is comparable to the base 15" macbook pro - 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2 GB / 500GB Serial ata drive.

I had decided on the laptop for a little more flexibility. When it was posited that I could have the best of both worlds - better/more durable computer & mobility - for the same price as the laptop, it seemed to make sense. Just wanted to be sure I'm not overlooking something.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rabs View Post

Thanks for the response. The desktop is the base model which is comparable to the base 15" macbook pro - 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 SDRAM 2x2 GB / 500GB Serial ata drive.

I had decided on the laptop for a little more flexibility. When it was posited that I could have the best of both worlds - better/more durable computer & mobility - for the same price as the laptop, it seemed to make sense. Just wanted to be sure I'm not overlooking something.

I am happy that you made a choice that satisfies you. For future reference, however, a computer is much more than its processor. You should not choose between two dramatically different form factors based on the processor. You can't take a desktop computer on the plane. There is no laptop with a built-in 27" monitor. These are the kinds of considerations that should guide the choice between laptop and desktop. You then choose the processor among computers of a similar form factor.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rabs View Post

You should go with the laptop. Yes the desktop + iPad will let you do a lot of things both in house and out, but the iPad isn't really good for getting "work" done. it's great for browsing the internet, looking at pictures, or watching videos, however if you want to download and view something from the internet, more times than not it won't work.

It isn't made to be an alternative to a fully functioning computer, it's made to be an entertainment device. If you havent' bought both yet, just get the MBP and if you want a larger monitor, purchase a separate monitor and get an accompanying adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Yesterday I looking for laptop desk, I find and get many information at several online store, but no one that suit with my wish. Later I find website that better then the other. The site provide many information about laptop desk. The site guide me to choosing quality desk and the site also give me many information about desk, like : tips to consider before buy laptop desk, the benefit using laptop desk, where to buy best desk, etc. This tips very useful for me.

I just want to tell you friend, if you still find or wanna buy new laptop desk, before you buy it, better you visit this site. read the tips and guide carefully, it very helpful. The site is : laptop desk