Forget the iPad, what about solar energy?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Following this story in the Huffington Post (I know)... one intelligent respondent queried whether these minerals are among those needed for production of solar panels. Maybe we can finally get off oil! This is really exciting stuff, especially if it helps in energy production.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I look forward to better solar technology and more widespread implementation of it.

Keep in mind though rare earth elements must be handled with care and regulated well too.

There are incidences in China of toxicity resulting from processing it:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6946038.ece

Recently here in Malaysia an Australian company is trying to build a rare earth processing plant which may be very toxic and dangerous:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/30/bu...al/30rare.html

"The project in Malaysia would be the first rare earth processing plant in nearly three decades to be finished outside China."

There's a reason no other countries want to process rare earth minerals.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    But don't get me wrong, if rare earth minerals are mined and processed properly they can continue to help green technology advance, which will be important.

Oil definitely needs to be phased out. It's just that we gotta refocus efforts this century and that will take a lot of work from people from all walks of life.

As I said in the other thread I think a manned mission to Mars by 2050, tapping into the desires and wealth of the super-rich will inspire great energy and other innovations, alongside efforts humanity needs to make in green technology. Note: Nuclear is out. Anyone calling it a "clean" or "green" energy is delusional. Will they use nuclear for a Mars mission? Too risky I think. This century needs a new form of energy on top of distinct improvements in solar technology.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I'm all for solar. As far as I'm concerned, every rooftop should be lined with them. Every window should have a solar film lining.

But change is hard for society in general. We won't see a change from fossil fuels within our lifetime or until it becomes more expensive to use fossil fuels than alternatives. Both of those are pretty far out.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I'm all for solar. As far as I'm concerned, every rooftop should be lined with them. Every window should have a solar film lining.

But change is hard for society in general. We won't see a change from fossil fuels within our lifetime or until it becomes more expensive to use fossil fuels than alternatives. Both of those are pretty far out.

So that's my point. Hopefully these rare earth mineral finds will drastically cut the cost of solar.