Rumor: Apple may release 'iPad 2 Plus' with high-res display this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    I hope not...

iPhone 4s?... iPad 2+?... I hope Apple, renowned for their product naming simplicity, gets back to basics.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    The only improvement the existing iPad screen really needs is an answer to the Kindle's digital ink screen for outdoor reading.
  • Reply 23 of 107
    xero910xero910 Posts: 41member
    Simply, no.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Which is why I think you can totally discount rumors that treat any resolution increase so casually or imply it's just a "bump" upgrade. Apple would never compromise the overall experience so cavalierly.

Mind you I'm not saying that an updated model is impossible just that without a hardware update it wouldn't be recommended. To that end it is rumored that Apple gas at least two teams working on SoC design with one focused on phones and other small handhelds and the other focused on processors for tablets. We really havent see a tablet specific processor yet (at least not one I consider to be tablet targeted) so it is very possible something much faster is coming for the fall. My point is this story can not stand without supporting evidence.

Quote:

I would, however, welcome a higher resolution iPad. Between the iPhone 4 and my Kindle, the original iPad looks blurry by comparison.

Don't worry with age that will be taken care of. Everything will look blurry.

Quote:

It's about the only thing that could get me to upgrade at the moment.

I'm sure such an upgrade would drive sales. I would not however jump on the bandwagon without being convinced it isn't a step backwards.
  • Reply 25 of 107
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    So are these screens coming from the Toshiba plant they put a billion into?

And wouldn't it be *exactly* double? No range - just 2x. Bets on the quantum dot nanosys film being in there too..

iPad 2S, iPhone 45? (They'd need to rearrange a bit to get the A5 chip in there, though the Gobi chip already fits in the Verizon iPhone) Imagine an iPhone next year will have a higher speed increase just considering what's coming out from Imagination and ARM.
  • Reply 26 of 107
    rtdunhamrtdunham Posts: 428member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..."With total iPad builds of 3.25M units during the first three quarters of 2011, targeted annual builds of 40M-45M units again seems not only possible but perhaps even beatable," he said. ...

I think 3.25M is in error. 32.5M maybe? Let's see how long it takes before this error is corrected (even if it's correctly quoting the analyst's error, it needs to be fixed).
  • Reply 27 of 107
    I now we're talking about a rez beyond 1080, but if it's such a strain to run high rez on an ipad that it requires a new chip, why can I stream 1080 to my old iPad 1? I thought it was remarkable when I tried it and it worked. Obviously it's not supposed to. I wondered if its possible that it resamples it during the stream, but the really high bit rate RIPS from my collection won't stream. Seems to max out around 10MB/s for h264. I still haven't tried loading a 1080 RIP of that quality onto an iPad and I'd a assume it wouldn't because even some of the old SD RIPS of mine won't synch if the setting aren't just right.

Personally I still think the iPad's screen is soft. Especially concerning text, but noticeable when viewing photos too. A high DPI screen like on the iPhone would be a nice add IMO. Maybe Apple is just feeling the suppliers out, but like I've said before iDevices have become more or less "screens", so I'd think it would be one of the most noticeable and obvious upgrades if it was cheap enough.
  • Reply 28 of 107
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

I think 3.25M is in error. 32.5M maybe? Let's see how long it takes before this error is corrected (even if it's correctly quoting the analyst's error, it needs to be fixed).

Maybe they meant 3.25m per quarter for the first 3 quarters. That still sounds very wrong though.
  • Reply 29 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Apple does release a new iPad this year, it will be a high-end model with a greater pixel density display rather than an entirely new third-generation model, according to a new report.

Just because all these other companies are shipping one tablet one week and then promising a newer one to be released "in a couple months" doesn't translate into Apple following the same practice. Sure, you want to strike while the iron is hot, but oversaturating the market when you can't even keep up delivery on initial demand doesn't appear too smart.

On that basis alone, I would hope that "iPad 2 Pro," "iPad 2 Really HD" or whatever just goes away. Besides, wouldn't *some* developer be among the first to blab about scaling images up in anticipation of a higher res device?
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Besides, wouldn't *some* developer be among the first to blab about scaling images up in anticipation of a higher res device?

It's been said a bunch of times - it's ALREADY IN. It's been in since the Retina display. iOS is fully set up to support higher resolution displays already.
  • Reply 31 of 107
    I have an iPad 2 so I'm not going to get all, "Sour grapes" with this rumor. If it comes out, fine. If not, fine. But I just want to say that just throwing a new screen in doesn't automatically make the iPad 2 look more awesome. Yes, the OS will be updated for the new res, but if this releases in Fall there will be hardly any apps that take advantage of the new res. Apple would need to tip-off app-makers about the incoming resolution if Apple wanted a strong launch with this new resolution.

Is Apple shopping for new screens? Absolutely. Are they going to release a half-updated iPad 2 in the Fall? I seriously doubt it. I suspect they are just shopping for iPad 3 components.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

There is an easy route on the grasphics in that there is a quad core version of the A5's GPU (SGX543MP4) and the package will support 1GB of ram

This is certainly true but I've heard nothing that indicates that Apple has silicon ready to drive such a display. We have had rumors of a mystery Apple chip coming off TSMC production lines but no solid indictators of what it is.

It is very possible that Apple has the electronics ready to go to support such a display. Frankly it better to assure customer satisfaction.

Quote:

I think we will see a 5-6 inch device too but it will be sold as an iPod Touch variant rather than a downsized iPad

I don't care what they call it. If they can make it into a maxi iPhone all the better, as long as it goes into the pocket well and isn't excessively bulky. I don't want people asking what that 5" long thing in your pocket is. Save those questions for a seven inch device please.

Quote:

I wasn't at all sold on the Galaxy Tab or Playbook but the HTC Flyer made a lot more sense(ha!) as a notepad (of the writing type)

A lot of iPad owners dismiss the idea of a sub 7" inch device because they think in terms of how they use their iPad. The way I look at it there is little or no overlap here. Frankly some iPad apps wouldn't translate well at all to a device this size. That is fine because I have no desire to use those apps on this device.

The reality is this little bit of screen size increase can have a big impact on some uses. For example when used in a cradle in a car, especially for GPS.
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimboonie View Post

Yes, the OS will be updated for the new res, but if this releases in Fall there will be hardly any apps that take advantage of the new res. Apple would need to tip-off app-makers about the incoming resolution if Apple wanted a strong launch with this new resolution.

Most of what people use the iPad for is reading, and every piece of text you render will be using a scalable font so will immediately benefit from any resolution bump even if you use an App that has no knowledge of the screen. Any App that supports the iPhone will already have high DPI icons. This is less of an issue than you think.
  • Reply 34 of 107
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

This is a rumor I'm truly tired of hearing.

x Infinity.

Please STOP writing these stupid rumor stories. There is ZERO incentive for Apple to issue a new iPad when the previous one is selling out like condoms during a gay-day parade. They can't satisfy the current demand, why on earth would they bring a new one online this early?
  • Reply 35 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's been said a bunch of times - it's ALREADY IN. It's been in since the Retina display. iOS is fully set up to support higher resolution displays already.

In case people can't grasp the above, iOS is resolution independent. It has been for some time. That means when you ask the OS to draw a line 100 points* long it ends up that long on screen. Apple has been warning developers for years now not to assume anyone pixel density. *I say points above but take that to mean whatever arcane units Apple actually uses.

Second the frame work is in place for higher resolution bitmaps. This of course supports stuff that isn't drawn on the screen.

What this means is that iPad could switch tomorrow and many apps would be fine. Many more could be quickly updated. Higher res isn't a significant issue for apps.
  • Reply 36 of 107
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In case people can't grasp the above, iOS is resolution independent. It has been for some time. That means when you ask the OS to draw a line 100 points* long it ends up that long on screen. Apple has been warning developers for years now not to assume anyone pixel density. *I say points above but take that to mean whatever arcane units Apple actually uses.

Second the frame work is in place for higher resolution bitmaps. This of course supports stuff that isn't drawn on the screen.

What this means is that iPad could switch tomorrow and many apps would be fine. Many more could be quickly updated. Higher res isn't a significant issue for apps.

Don't confuse RI with HiDPI display code already and SDK already released. We saw Apple make a lot of changes, including a new system font, and it took many months before the majority of 3rd-party apps were updated to take advantage of the new display.

PS: If memory serves I think iit's WWDC 2011 Session 113 at the 47m:47s mark that goes into Lion's RI and HiDPI support.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

It's amazing how many times analysts can be wrong and still have a job.

There's absolutely no reason for Apple to release a new iPad this year. There's no competition.

Finally, someone talking sense on this forum. +1,000.

Damn right. There is no earthly reason for Apple to offer a revised iPad 2 at this stage. As soon as you start interrupting replacement cycles with unexpected product updates, you risk consumer inertia with people postponing purchase because they believe the next model is just around the corner. Apple has more to lose than to gain by introducing a new version of the iPad 2 now.

The iPad 2 was meant to get a higher resolution display, but the technology was not production ready when Apple finalised component supply deals. This means we'll need to wait until 2012 before a better mousetrap comes along. Period.
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

It is hard to see a business justification for releasing a new model so quickly, without any real competition to drive that decision. There is cost with switching models. I think Apple will stick to the schedule on this one. It's not like there is a major flaw in iPad2 to overcome.

It still takes up to 2 weeks to ship the current model, so sales are certainly staying high.

It should not be seen as an iPad 3... but probably more as a High-End iPad 2 targeting the high-end segment or the pro-segment where HD res might be appealing. For the moment, iPad offering is pretty basic on a marketing stand-point and Apple might start differentiating a bit the various segments the way they did with the iPod mini/nano/shuffle/touch...

In addition, it might provide some pretty good test bench for developers to start building higher res apps that could potentially become mainstream with an iPad 3 sometimes next year.
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: If memory serves I think iit's WWDC 2011 Session 113 at the 47m:47s mark that goes into Lion's RI and HiDPI support.

Erm - aren't you just saying that OS-X isn't yet resolution independent? Nobody said OS-X was. Full RI came to iOS first, which makes sense because most Apps on OS-X run in windows, and so a suddenly larger screen doesn't blow them up. I think a big part of why it's coming in Lion is that Lion is bringing in full screen Apps.

Finally OS-X will be able to do everything my commodore amiga could in 1990
  • Reply 40 of 107
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Todays A5 is to slow for a high density display.

We all know that 28nm is not ready.

But. PowerVR6 is ready. ST-Ericsson start to sell Dual core Arm9 1.5-1.8ghz with power6 series graphic later this year.

Apple got back test chips from TSMC last week. Could this be A5+? Higher clocked and a new graphic core?

I thought the test chips where 28 nm quod core chips that are going to be used for iPad 3 next year. Someone call TSMC and ask them?